What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jury discharged

St Tangles

Bench
From the evidence presented the jury came to the only decision that they could, no decision.

I don't know how another trial could be any different.

Opinion is divided no mater where you look.

If they go to another trial the club needs to say bye bye to JDB.

If they decide not to retry then the club still has a decision to make.

possm

Coach
From the evidence presented the jury came to the only decision that they could, no decision.

I don't know how another trial could be any different.

Opinion is divided no mater where you look.

If they go to another trial the club needs to say bye bye to JDB.

If they decide not to retry then the club still has a decision to make.
If there is a retrial then Griffin may decide to blood a young lock who is already in the squad in that position. Purchase an edge forward to replace Frizell and maybe even a prop to replace Graham.

Then after the retrial if JDB is not convicted, sign him up.

boardlumps62

Juniors
This is precisely how the Guilty run free or the Not Guilty get imprisoned. The evidence is not there one way or the other. And the Prosecutor or Defence Lawyers just don't cut the mustard.
It's just not like Perry Mason one bit I have watched too much TV.

jak

Bench
If there is a retrial then Griffin may decide to blood a young lock who is already in the squad in that position. Purchase an edge forward to replace Frizell and maybe even a prop to replace Graham.

who would you try at lock, ford could be our murray/radley

Gareth67

First Grade

Mate with respect , just how old will he be then ? Apparently the earliest new trial won’t be until August , the team cannot wait any longer .

We have a new coach that can make a huge difference to the team , it’s the beginnings of a new era for the Dragons , time to shed the old flaking skin and renew it with fresh talent - regardless of how painful it may be .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

DRAGONS

Dragons statement: Jack de Belin
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 30 Nov 2020, 05:48 PM

The Jack de Belin court matter did not reach a verdict as a result of a hung jury in Wollongong Local Court on Monday.

The consequential next steps concerning the matter are yet to be established.

De Belin remains subject to the NRL's no-fault stand down policy.

The Dragons will continue to provide the necessary welfare support to de Belin and his family.

The club will make no further comment at this stage.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/30/dragons-statement-jack-de-belin/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Now we have to wait until Wed to see if the prosecution decides to go forth with another trial.

Now, regarding DeBelin, its time to move on another lock. I think Magoulias and Asiata are the 2 who could be available. Personally I'd go for Magoulias, has more adaptability and would come cheaper.

We technically need 5 players, with 4 now and 1 before june 30. Magoulias would at least be a start.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Now we have to wait until Wed to see if the prosecution decides to go forth with another trial.

Now, regarding DeBelin, its time to move on another lock. I think Magoulias and Asiata are the 2 who could be available. Personally I'd go for Magoulias, has more adaptability and would come cheaper.

We technically need 5 players, with 4 now and 1 before june 30. Magoulias would at least be a start.[/QUOTE

Given that we have offloaded a good number of players, including some (Graham and Frizzell) on good
freight and signed only two from outside the club to date, I was surprised to read David Riccio's assertion in the DT that, with the compensation paid by Manly for Saab, SGI had about $150K to spend. If true, I'm wondering where the money's gone. $150K might get us Magoulias- Asiata will want a lot more.

BLM01

First Grade
How can we have only 150K to spend when we need 4 players even if JDB stays as the minimum NRL wage is low $100's..even allowing for Saab's 50-100K in compo

matPORTS

Juniors
If the case goes to a second trial, surely the club will have to move on?

Then it's in the hands of the next jury as to whether or not we can re-sign him for 2022. Both parties would still be willing to show loyalty each way no doubt. But that will depend on how our salary cap situation plays out over the coming season. It wouldn't be so simple for him to sign for peanuts if there are big legal bills to be paid.

Just my opinion based on what I've read -

The prosecution case did seem very weak in this first trial (with Police supposedly lying on evidence briefs being the cream on top). Additionally, I think the jury was also very heavily influenced by the high profile nature of the case. Tensions would have no doubt been very high in that jury room during the deliberations (as much as it shouldn't be there would have been a heavy moral compass at play), but I find it hard to believe that they could not come to decision with more time this week (I was on a jury where we were split but slightly balanced one way and it took us three additional days after being sent back by the judge to then become unanimous).

Even if a jury does eventually find JDB and Sinclair guilty, seem there is plenty of grounds for appeal to drag this out for years to come, coming at a heavy cost to all parties involved but especially the DPP who are on the public fund. On this alone the DPP may likely decide to not pursue further.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
If the case goes to a second trial, surely the club will have to move on?

Then it's in the hands of the next jury as to whether or not we can re-sign him for 2022. Both parties would still be willing to show loyalty each way no doubt. But that will depend on how our salary cap situation plays out over the coming season. It wouldn't be so simple for him to sign for peanuts if there are big legal bills to be paid.

Just my opinion based on what I've read -

The prosecution case did seem very weak in this first trial (with Police supposedly lying on evidence briefs being the cream on top). Additionally, I think the jury was also very heavily influenced by the high profile nature of the case. Tensions would have no doubt been very high in that jury room during the deliberations (as much as it shouldn't be there would have been a heavy moral compass at play), but I find it hard to believe that they could not come to decision with more time this week (I was on a jury where we were split but slightly balanced one way and it took us three additional days after being sent back by the judge to then become unanimous).

Even if a jury does eventually find JDB and Sinclair guilty, seem there is plenty of grounds for appeal to drag this out for years to come, coming at a heavy cost to all parties involved but especially the DPP who are on the public fund. On this alone the DPP may likely decide to not pursue further.

Does anyone know if a hung jury or not guilty on a second trial allows the defendant to go for costs? It seems incredibly unfair to me that the defendants should be up for two lots of fees.

possm

Coach
How can we have only 150K to spend when we need 4 players even if JDB stays as the minimum NRL wage is low $100's..even allowing for Saab's 50-100K in compo
Just look at the players who have left the club in 2020
Saab
Lafai
Aitken
Sailor
Graham
Frizell

and then look who we have recruited or extended and you should see a large surplus of salary cap.

possm

Coach
Does anyone know if a hung jury or not guilty on a second trial allows the defendant to go for costs? It seems incredibly unfair to me that the defendants should be up for two lots of fees.
And is the complainant able to be granted payment from the Govt for being the victim under a hung jury situation?

BLM01

First Grade
Just look at the players who have left the club in 2020
Saab
Lafai
Aitken
Sailor
Graham
Frizell

and then look who we have recruited or extended and you should see a large surplus of salary cap.
You forgot Host, Luke
But You must factor in allowances like compo money for Saab + $$$ upgrades for 2021 contracted player contracts incl JDB which has been budgeted for if free
It is never a simple as the way you calculate it

possm

Coach
You forgot Host, Luke
But You must factor in allowances like compo money for Saab + $$$ upgrades for 2021 contracted player contracts incl JDB which has been budgeted for if free
It is never a simple as the way you calculate it
You're right however, in the absence of full transparency and of course leaving K Sims, Host and Luke out of the statement, it is clear to me that we have more than enough cap to buy two top grade forwards. Mind you we would have even more cap if we could off-load some of the loafers we still have under contract.