What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
Which is still more than the previous 2 dickheads running the game have ever done.
True, but such a light slap on the wrist isn’t much of a deterrent.

Frankly if they took one GF to Queensland it’d just be a hollow gesture to try and save face.

The Great Dane

First Grade
BTW, this idea that we just kind of give it to Queensland is dumb. I mean if you were looking to hurt the NSW gov as much as possible you’d give it to Melbourne, not Brisbane.

But really what should happen is it should go out to tender each year, and the highest bidder should host it, like the Super Bowl or Olympics. Lock NSW out of bidding for it for an extended period, say 5-10 years, then you have your punishment for them, and the best result for the game.

BTW, this idea that we just kind of give it to Queensland is dumb. I mean if you were looking to hurt the NSW gov as much as possible you’d give it to Melbourne, not Brisbane.

But really what should happen is it should go out to tender each year, and the highest bidder should host it, like the Super Bowl or Olympics. Lock NSW out of bidding for it for an extended period, say 5-10 years, then you have your punishment for them, and the best result for the game.

Plus the AFL would hate the GF going to Melbourne too. Double the incentive

Suitman

Post Whore
424558f18408972286d58edbd23b4337.jpg

Deacon

First Grade
Looks much closer to the scg then the sfs previously, I wonder if I bridge between the two was ever considered

The original plan favoured by Dave Smith was for a 70K stadium build over Kippax lake across the road from the SFS. The NRL even contributed to a feasibility study for the site. If I recall correctly it was going to be based on the 49's stadium NFL. However it was not on SCG trust land and I think it was the Centennial park trust or something was against it. If you look at the pedestrian bridge over Anzac parade the end on eastern side was meant to lead right to this stadium.

yeah the 65 to 70K seat .. new main rectangle venue to replace ANZ was to be built across the road from the SFS at Kippax lake ... it looked perfect .. all the new light rail infrastructure was to service it so easily accessed from central

but it got shouted down.

simply not enough room on the present sfs site for anything bigger then the present 42K venue being built

Thats because the old SSG had been transformed to a poorly designed car park and NRL and ARU HQ

I would prefer to that car park transformed to a open air beer and restaurant area with visitor car park added to NRL HQ. With something like the ANZ Locker Room added near the corner of Driver Ave and Moore Pk Road

With the training field to have a 500 seater stand added and a tar 100 car park for A or Junior grade game days

Move the car park to east of the SFS and make a multi-storey

How soon they forget. The new stadium to replace the SFS being placed over the top of Lake Kippax originated with the SCG Trust. It had nothing to do with Dave Smith, the NRL or anyone else - it was solely the SCG trust that wanted to do it. The SCG Trust were mounting a power grab to try and annex that land, which is actually part of the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust. The justification for it was that the SFS nee3ded to be replaced due to violating building standard codes for things like fires (remember Alan Jones saying we could have a Hillsborough type situation at the SFS due to its poor exits?).

It was the proposal that Stuart Ayres, as then Minister for Sport championed, and which saw Mike Baird strip him of the re-build proposals over due to the power grab.

As I said at the time, if the proposal had gone ahead, whilst they could not have sold off the land which the old SFS was on, nor be able to put up units or shops on it, what odds it would have been turned into an expanded Gold members car park?

Let's not re-write history, which is why I'm addressing it now.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Plus the AFL would hate the GF going to Melbourne too. Double the incentive
Not sure about that. It wouldn’t affect the AFL GF at all and the AFL would see it as an opportunity to push harder into NSW and QLD. QLD is where the AFL will be looking to make ground in the next five years so the NRL GF going to an AFL state would probably be preferable to the AFL than QLD.

Not sure about that. It wouldn’t affect the AFL GF at all and the AFL would see it as an opportunity to push harder into NSW and QLD. QLD is where the AFL will be looking to make ground in the next five years so the NRL GF going to an AFL state would probably be preferable to the AFL than QLD.

I meant it in that the AFL wouldn’t like the publicity their biggest rival would get from the NRL playing it’s biggest game for the first time in Melbourne.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I meant it in that the AFL wouldn’t like the publicity their biggest rival would get from the NRL playing it’s biggest game for the first time in Melbourne.
They definitely wouldn’t like it but I don’t think they would be too worried either. I couldn’t believe how little shit they gave when I was living there last year, the home final against parra could have been the Woolgoolga Seahorses vs Toowoomba Clydesdales for all they knew.

The day after winning, que the purple scarves and the purple pride. The next week “omg Collingwood lost to GWS” - meanwhile your mob is pumping the storm. Passssss the bucket.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
They definitely wouldn’t like it but I don’t think they would be too worried either. I couldn’t believe how little shit they gave when I was living there last year, the home final against parra could have been the Woolgoolga Seahorses vs Toowoomba Clydesdales for all they knew.

The day after winning, que the purple scarves and the purple pride. The next week “omg Collingwood lost to GWS” - meanwhile your mob is pumping the storm. Passssss the bucket.
An NRL GF in Melbourne without Storm would generate far less publicity in Melbourne than Storm playing in the GF in NSW or Qld.

Surely it couldn't be too hard to schedule out 15 years of GFs.
And sure, I go to the GF every year. But if spreading it out actually grows our game, etc...then I'm all for it.

Year 1 Sydney
Year 2 Brisbane
Year 3 Melbourne
Year 4 Sydney
Year 5 Brisbane
Year 6 Auckland
Year 7 Sydney
Year 8 Brisbane
Year 9 Melbourne
Year 10 Sydney
Year 11 Brisbane
Year 12 Perth
Year 13 Sydney
Year 14 Brisbane
Year 15 Adelaide
Repeat

Surely it couldn't be too hard to schedule out 15 years of GFs.
And sure, I go to the GF every year. But if spreading it out actually grows our game, etc...then I'm all for it.

Year 1 Sydney
Year 2 Brisbane
Year 3 Melbourne
Year 4 Sydney
Year 5 Brisbane
Year 6 Auckland
Year 7 Sydney
Year 8 Brisbane
Year 9 Melbourne
Year 10 Sydney
Year 11 Brisbane
Year 12 Perth
Year 13 Sydney
Year 14 Brisbane
Year 15 Adelaide
Repeat

Perfect scenario - as in 15 years' time - the Rams will be back!

Latest posts