What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
They would - but where would they hold it? MCG is a cavernous circle which - while they fill for SOO - is possibly the worst ground to view league on. Marvel is more suitable but not rectangular and much smaller capacity - 53k.
Lower tier of Marvel is so much worse than lower tier of the MCG imo. But agree, might be quite hard to fill if the GF features two clubs with smaller supporter bases.

Lower tier of Marvel is so much worse than lower tier of the MCG imo. But agree, might be quite hard to fill if the GF features two clubs with smaller supporter bases.

I've watched in the upper tier of Marvel before which was ok enough (without being great). But can imagine the lower tier of both Marvel and the big concrete circle (aka MCG) would be horrendous.

I can't honestly see a GF going to Victoria at all - on the basis of the stadium options alone (aside from others in debate). .

The Great Dane

First Grade
Surely it couldn't be too hard to schedule out 15 years of GFs.
And sure, I go to the GF every year. But if spreading it out actually grows our game, etc...then I'm all for it.

Year 1 Sydney
Year 2 Brisbane
Year 3 Melbourne
Year 4 Sydney
Year 5 Brisbane
Year 6 Auckland
Year 7 Sydney
Year 8 Brisbane
Year 9 Melbourne
Year 10 Sydney
Year 11 Brisbane
Year 12 Perth
Year 13 Sydney
Year 14 Brisbane
Year 15 Adelaide
Repeat
If you put it on a schedule like that it’ll totally devalue it as a product. You’d effectively be giving it to them for free.

Nah it has to go out to tender, that way you can make the governments underwrite it, or even better get a bit of a bidding war going and make a profit before a ticket’s even sold.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've watched in the upper tier of Marvel before which was ok enough (without being great). But can imagine the lower tier of both Marvel and the big concrete circle (aka MCG) would be horrendous.

I can't honestly see a GF going to Victoria at all - on the basis of the stadium options alone (aside from others in debate). .
The NRL plays SOO at the MCG, so I can’t see why they wouldn’t play a GF there.

But that is another good thing about a tender process, you can set minimum standards to host it which incentivises governments to invest in stadia that meet those minimum standards to get a share of those sweet, sweet, tourism dollars.

T-Boon

Coach
If you put it on a schedule like that it’ll totally devalue it as a product. You’d effectively be giving it to them for free.

Nah it has to go out to tender, that way you can make the governments underwrite it, or even better get a bit of a bidding war going and make a profit before a ticket’s even sold.

Each year they could package a round 1 magic round, 1st state of origin and GF to the highest bid.

The NRL plays SOO at the MCG, so I can’t see why they wouldn’t play a GF there.

But that is another good thing about a tender process, you can set minimum standards to host it which incentivises governments to invest in stadia that meet those minimum standards to get a share of those sweet, sweet, tourism dollars.

Understood and know that. However in SOO you've got two known opponents, with a significant interest from the Victorian Public and a significant fan base from both Qld & NSW guaranteed to travel - with advanced notice to organise themselves around. (pre-covid of course). A Grand final could be any two teams out of 16 in total - with varying levels of support amongst them - and only confirmed a week beforehand. That, combined with the viewing spectacle, presents a significant risk of disaster to the NRL. I honestly think I'm more likely to set foot on Mars before seeing a grand final held at the MCG.

All that aside - and on the grounds - I agree that minimum standards should be set, whatever they turn out to be. FIFA have got these principles in place which is why the MCG etc has missed out on hosting games for the Womens World Cup in 2023 - as all stadia must be rectangle and minimum capacity. Adelaide has picked up games on this as they are upgrading Hindmarsh (Coopers) for example.

There is also a proposal for a new multi-purpose rectangular stadium in the Adelaide CBD - riverbank west. Much of the instigation of that is to bring new sporting events to the city. Tourism benefits etc you've alluded to. If it gets up - It'll be an amazing world class stadium but equivalent size to Bankwest in Parramatta.

greenBV4

Bench
The NRL has the opportunity to tender out 2 major events each year, the GF and neutral origin (3 if you include magic round), no other code has this opportunity and they could be rolling in money from the bidding war each year

But nah, tradition

T-Boon

Coach
Why would you do that?

Sell them all separately, make the maximum profit from them, and spread the events around.

I didn't say I would. I said you "could".
One reason you might do it is it could make more money that way (I don't know).
It could also be a better way of pounding into an expansion area. Hit them with both barrels so to speak.

The NRL has the opportunity to tender out 2 major events each year, the GF and neutral origin (3 if you include magic round), no other code has this opportunity and they could be rolling in money from the bidding war each year

But nah, tradition

They have the Nines as well - was played in Perth this year.

I think they'll do what you suggested continually for Origin, possibly nines (but unsure if proceeding next season - so whenever it is back). Maybe Magic Round - although I'd think this would be more selective by the NRL. I can't see them tendering out the GF though. Yes tradition here, but also that all the others have guaranteed teams etc.

T-Boon

Coach

But nah, tradition

Exactly.
It makes sense for AFL to stay with Melbourne as the Melbourne clubs are massive but the NRL clubs in Sydney are weak and just don't justify ignoring the benefits of selling it to the highest bid and expanding the game that way/

The Great Dane

First Grade
Understood and know that. However in SOO you've got two known opponents, with a significant interest from the Victorian Public and a significant fan base from both Qld & NSW guaranteed to travel - with advanced notice to organise themselves around. (pre-covid of course). A Grand final could be any two teams out of 16 in total - with varying levels of support amongst them - and only confirmed a week beforehand. That, combined with the viewing spectacle, presents a significant risk of disaster to the NRL. I honestly think I'm more likely to set foot on Mars before seeing a grand final held at the MCG.
Just copy what the Americans do, they have this process down to a fine art.

Super Bowl tickets, for example, are tightly controlled with the vast majority being keep for the teams to distribute (something like 70-80% split between them), with the rest only being available to very, very, high end corporate partners of the NFL it's self and friends and family of people involved in the NFL, and of all those tickets only a tiny minority will hit the open market (maybe 5-10% if you're lucky).
In other words the way the NFL and others do it isn't realistic in the Australian context (we're just too small, but if you make the event big enough it could work in the future), but the way the WWE does it, mixed in with some of the other elements from the others, would be a great way to go about it.

Bidding for Superbowls happens years in advance, 5 or so give or take, at which point the league and the local government have 5 or so years to market the shit out of it. WrestleMania's bidding process is just as long, however they only announce the winning bid on WrestleMania night a year beforehand. This is where we steal from the NFL, as having five years to market and sell all the tickets would be better for us than one year, however everything else we nick from the WWE.

They treat WrestleMania as a massive event and consistently promote it, slowly building to a crescendo the closer it gets to the event. There almost isn't a WWE broadcast that doesn't mention WrestleMania.

They create custom branding for each WrestleMania that is reflective of the host city, and used it to make each one feel unique, i.e. a once in a lifetime event that will not be repeated, you can go to a WrestleMania again, but you can never go to this WrestleMania again.
They then take that custom branding and fold it into a giant marketing campaign, with lots of cross promotion, to make sure that everybody knows that WrestleMania is coming to town because people can't go down the street or turn on their TV/computer without being bombarded with it.

Once it gets closer to the actual event they make all their wrestlers available to any and all major media outlets to promote it (local, national, and even international on occasion), and invest in, and host, events in the lead up to WrestleMania night that they use both to make an extra buck and to promote WrestleMania.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

As long as NRL are willing to invest the resources and put in the effort they'll be rewarded.

All that aside - and on the grounds - I agree that minimum standards should be set, whatever they turn out to be. FIFA have got these principles in place which is why the MCG etc has missed out on hosting games for the Womens World Cup in 2023 - as all stadia must be rectangle and minimum capacity. Adelaide has picked up games on this as they are upgrading Hindmarsh (Coopers) for example.

There is also a proposal for a new multi-purpose rectangular stadium in the Adelaide CBD - riverbank west. Much of the instigation of that is to bring new sporting events to the city. Tourism benefits etc you've alluded to. If it gets up - It'll be an amazing world class stadium but equivalent size to Bankwest in Parramatta.

Just like the Super Bowl, or WrestleMania, as time goes by, and competition for hosting rights get more heated the minimum standards have got higher and higher.

So you might start out with ovals being able to host the GF, but that wouldn't last long as long the GF's are successful events. Pretty soon you'd see a requirement for a rectangular stadium with x-amount of seats, among other requirements that people probably wouldn't even think of, like x-amount of hotels within x-amount of distance, x-amount of car parking within walking distance, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Super Bowl tickets, for example, are tightly controlled with the vast majority being keep for the teams to distribute (something like 70-80% split between them), with the rest only being available to very, very, high end corporate partners of the NFL it's self and friends and family of people involved in the NFL, and of all those tickets only a tiny minority will hit the open market (maybe 5-10% if you're lucky).
In other words the way the NFL and others do it isn't realistic in the Australian context (we're just too small, but if you make the event big enough it could work in the future), but the way the WWE does it, mixed in with some of the other elements from the others, would be a great way to go about it.

Bidding for Superbowls happens years in advance, 5 or so give or take, at which point the league and the local government have 5 or so years to market the shit out of it. WrestleMania's bidding process is just as long, however they only announce the winning bid on WrestleMania night a year beforehand. This is where we steal from the NFL, as having five years to market and sell all the tickets would be better for us than one year, however everything else we nick from the WWE.

They treat WrestleMania as a massive event and consistently promote it, slowly building to a crescendo the closer it gets to the event. There almost isn't a WWE broadcast that doesn't mention WrestleMania.

They create custom branding for each WrestleMania that is reflective of the host city, and used it to make each one feel unique, i.e. a once in a lifetime event that will not be repeated, you can go to a WrestleMania again, but you can never go to this WrestleMania again.
They then take that custom branding and fold it into a giant marketing campaign, with lots of cross promotion, to make sure that everybody knows that WrestleMania is coming to town because people can't go down the street or turn on their TV/computer without being bombarded with it.

Once it gets closer to the actual event they make all their wrestlers available to any and all major media outlets to promote it (local, national, and even international on occasion), and invest in, and host, events in the lead up to WrestleMania night that they use both to make an extra buck and to promote WrestleMania.

As long as NRL are willing to invest the resources and put in the effort they'll be rewarded.

Just like the Super Bowl, or WrestleMania, as time goes by, and competition for hosting rights get more heated the minimum standards have got higher and higher.

So you might start out with ovals being able to host the GF, but that wouldn't last long as long the GF's are successful events. Pretty soon you'd see a requirement for a rectangular stadium with x-amount of seats, among other requirements that people probably wouldn't even think of, like x-amount of hotels within x-amount of distance, x-amount of car parking within walking distance, etc, etc.

Wow. Some subtle differences between us and the USA, NRL & NFL..

The NFL has
  • 32 teams
  • Playing out of 31 major cities across the county (New York has 2 teams, and include Green Bay in this).
  • All 31 Team Stadiums have capacity between 60,000 - 82,000. There are also numerous stadiums / cities (without NFL teams) that have stadiums of equivalent size.
  • All cities have NFL as their unrivalled, primary football code.
We have nothing near any of that.

they won't even consider the .. viewing experience ..the attraction will be 90 to 95K fans at our grandfinal in AFL heartland

the Americans have 30 cities suitable to hold their super bowl etc

we have 5
its not quite the same , the competitive tension just isn't there

Perth Red

Post Whore
No reason the likes of Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala lu par, hawaii etc couldn’t get in on the act, well they could if they knew rugby league existed! Union sevens doesn’t seem to have any problem getting big cities to pay big bucks to host ot.

reality is the nrl probably only sells 60-65k full priced tickets to most anz finals. Any short fall in capacity should be made up comfortably by the host cities payment for hosting rights,

Jamberoo

Juniors
Was there no publicity when the Origin came to town or was it all about Storm players, playing in another shade of purple?
Don’t reckon there was any more than for any other SOO.
They would - but where would they hold it? MCG is a cavernous circle which - while they fill for SOO - is possibly the worst ground to view league on. Marvel is more suitable but not rectangular and much smaller capacity - 53k.
The atmosphere for SOO is better at Marvel, but the AFL own it now and if the Vic Govt is going to pay millions to have the GF here, they would want to maximise interstate travellers therefore it has to be at the G. Would be more popular than SOO I reckon. Most people here don’t have access to go to an AFL GF so reckon if they had the usual Sydney prices, it would sell out 100k.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wow. Some subtle differences between us and the USA, NRL & NFL..

The NFL has
  • 32 teams
  • Playing out of 31 major cities across the county (New York has 2 teams, and include Green Bay in this).
  • All 31 Team Stadiums have capacity between 60,000 - 82,000. There are also numerous stadiums / cities (without NFL teams) that have stadiums of equivalent size.
  • All cities have NFL as their unrivalled, primary football code.
We have nothing near any of that.
the Americans have 30 cities suitable to hold their super bowl etc

we have 5
its not quite the same , the competitive tension just isn't there
Never once did I claim that we could achieve something on the same scale as the Super Bowl, but we wouldn’t need to anyway.

Just because it would be smaller in scale doesn’t mean that we couldn’t, or shouldn’t, use the exact same principles and techniques to maximise profit and exposure out of the GF that the NFL, MLB, NBA, WWE, etc, etc, use to maximise their profit and exposure.

Also you don’t need much competition to start a bidding war. Two is all you need in fact, and we have six cities whom would certainly be interested. Also the earlier you start the quicker the number of cities capable of hosting it will grow.

Last edited:

Latest posts