What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jury discharged

ALSGI

Bench
After the ruling today - f**k him off immediately.

Honestly just gone very bad to worse. Yes some jurors think he’s innocent (reasonable doubt) but some don’t.

Don’t mind the welfare support in the background but training with the squad and being associated with the club is just wrong imo.

Back in court around our ANZAC day game ..

Goodbye JDB.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
*Deleted*
Well aren’t you awfully defensive..

But not only can you not base your assumptions of being able to prove the case due to posts people make here, you can’t make it from that report either.

The simple reason being, the reporters weren’t on the jury either.

The only people who know convincing the prosecution argument was are those in that room.

For all we know it could have been most saying guilty and only a few steadfast not moving from not guilty.

The public don’t know.

Simple as that..

Last edited by a moderator:

merahputih

Juniors
I understand that a "majority" verdict in criminal cases in NSW is where eleven out of twelve jurors must agree on a verdict. The judge (not the DPP) can ask the jury to attempt to come to a majority verdict if a unanimous verdict is not possible. Unless one or more of the jury members break the law and reveal how they voted any conjecture on the numbers is pointless.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok, so the new trial date gas been set. My u derstanding is that the DPP can withdraw charges at anytime (please correct me if i'm wrong). It's hard to believe that they, the DPP, have reviewed all the evidence, testimonies etc, in basically 1 day. I think this buys them time to review and really affirm they can get the verdict they're after.

TruSaint

Referee
Ok, so the new trial date gas been set. My u derstanding is that the DPP can withdraw charges at anytime (please correct me if i'm wrong). It's hard to believe that they, the DPP, have reviewed all the evidence, testimonies etc, in basically 1 day. I think this buys them time to review and really affirm they can get the verdict they're after.

What we know as at today, is that there will be another trial at the Downing Centre District court, next year.

I also don't believe the prosecution would have NOT taken into account a hung jury.

As it stands, they believe they have a case.

Old Timer

Coach
The DPP ran the case so they would well and truly know all the evidence as they prosecuted half of it and heard the other sides 1st hand

They know exactly what they are dealing with

redv13

Bench
Unfortunately time to cut Debellin. We can't keep holding on without using our full cap space
Right or wrong, they have waited 2 years. The matter could be heard and hopefully a decision made by May. That’s about 9 rounds into the season. Might as well hang on till then and a final decision can be made for both him and the club

FlameThrower

Bench
Right or wrong, they have waited 2 years. The matter could be heard and hopefully a decision made by May. That’s about 9 rounds into the season. Might as well hang on till then and a final decision can be made for both him and the club
Can’t agree mate, we have been ‘on hold’ for 2 years and by May that’s another 6 months away - if he losses and lodges an appeal - do we wait another year or so.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

If you're saying that essentially the DPP has booked the court and date pending a thorough review of the proceedings and they may decide after that thorough review that the second trial is not likely to deliver the unanimous or near unanimous verdict they are seeking and - based on that review- cancel that booking, it makes sense.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Any other club with more smarts would have cut him loose and found a suitable replacement right at the start.
Guilty or not, the game is a business and it was always going to be too big a hole in our salary cap.
The writing was on the wall that this was going to be a long drawn out process and it would of been a shame to lose him if he got off but it is too long to have that much missing from our cap.
It was a dumb decision from the start and now its dragging on longer.

possm

Coach
Any other club with more smarts would have cut him loose and found a suitable replacement right at the start.
Guilty or not, the game is a business and it was always going to be too big a hole in our salary cap.
The writing was on the wall that this was going to be a long drawn out process and it would of been a shame to lose him if he got off but it is too long to have that much missing from our cap.
It was a dumb decision from the start and now its dragging on longer.
I'd say, if the NRL had more smarts it would have backed up it's no blame stand down policy with the inclusion of a rule that transfers the contract ownership and all other related matters to the NRL. Under a policy such as this, the Club would no longer have any responsibility and so would not be seen to be disloyal by replacing the player stood down.

Of course if the player is found not guilty, than there should be a provision to allow that player to return to his club under a new contract.

The result would be a reduction in media and fan attention which is the whole reason for bring in this stand down policy in the first place.

Juniors
As for roster management (not commenting on the case per se, or my personal feelings about JDB .....)

We already know there aren’t many quality players around atm. What Hook ‘thinks’ he can do with the players he has, vs what he ‘can’ do with them may prove two very different things. IF this does happen to resolve itself by say Anzac Day game, it could be an opportunity to tinker with the squad dynamic a little before June 30 if that spot opens up.

That said, I personally wish we’d walked away.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'd say, if the NRL had more smarts it would have backed up it's no blame stand down policy with the inclusion of a rule that transfers the contract ownership and all other related matters to the NRL. Under a policy such as this, the Club would no longer have any responsibility and so would not be seen to be disloyal by replacing the player stood down.

Of course if the player is found not guilty, than there should be a provision to allow that player to return to his club under a new contract.

The result would be a reduction in media and fan attention which is the whole reason for bring in this stand down policy in the first place.

Spot on Possm- the De Belin case may prove to be an aberration in the scheme of things and future stand down cases may well be resolved much quicker without COVID and other delays but, as we now know, the judicial system is complex and unpredictable-so there are no guarantees of speedy resolution.

The stand down policy was introduced in haste and I'm sure the officials who developed the policy didn't envisage that a player's career could be put on ice for three seasons before their guilt or innocence could be established- but that is exactly what's happened. The club and its members and supporters should have the comfort of knowing that the quantum of De Belin's contract (ie its value and length) could be offered to another quality player over and above the salary cap and we are not going to be disadvantaged for a third season having to worry about 1. will JDB be back 2.is the salary cap "relief" going to result in a quality player wanting to sign with us while JDB is stood down and 3 what happens to our quality player if JDB does come back

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin no distraction for Dragons in NRL
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St George Illawarra's Jack de Belin's won't train with the NRL squad in the short term.
    Stood-down NRL star Jack de Belin trained with St George Illawarra for the past two seasons but coach Anthony Griffin is adamant it won't be a distraction for the team in 2021.

A day after de Belin's retrial on rape accusations was scheduled for April in Sydney, after a jury in Wollongong failed to reach a verdict, Griffin said NRL training should be the furthest thing from the 29-year-old's mind.

Speaking for the first time as Dragons coach on Thursday, Griffin said former State of Origin forward de Belin would not be returning to training in the short term.

De Belin's presence at training has been labelled a distraction to the misfiring side in the past but Griffin said it wouldn't be a problem next season.

"He's got a legal battle on his hands," Griffin said.

"Personally I respect that, we've got no control over it so that will be his main focus at the moment, not training with the football team.

"Right at the moment that's something external to what's happening here.

"He's been in a legal battle, this is probably the furthest thing from his mind at the moment."

Having their best forward in peak physical condition at training but unable to play has been a cloud hanging over the Dragons for the past two seasons.

In both campaigns they have finished in the bottom four.

It's a situation that threatens to spoil the Dragons' 2021 season too with de Belin's retrial set to commence in April, meaning if he is found not guilty the first match he could play is in round nine.

It's understood the NRL has offered the club salary cap dispensation for de Belin's replacement while he is unavailable, after he agreed to a three-year deal with the Dragons.

That contract is yet to be registered by the NRL and until the legal process is completed he is only receiving a percentage of his pay.

Whether that has an impact on the salary cap and the Dragons' top 30 roster, Griffin is unconcerned.

"It's honestly not an issue for me," he said.

"I'll find out off Ryan Webb (Dragons chief executive) in due course into how that affects our salary cap, but I don't think it will affect it if the NRL has stood him down."

Regardless, Griffin is confident in the players he has available despite losing Tyson Frizell, Korbin Sims, James Graham and Jacob Host.

"(de Belin) hasn't been here for two years so we don't need to replace him," he said.

"Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Jacob Host have left.

"Poasa Faamausili has trained really well and Jack Bird has come onto the list.

"I've got a lot of confidence with the guys on our list.

"We've got a bit of capacity with our salary cap and we'll fill that when we have the right people."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7039348/de-belin-no-distraction-for-dragons-in-nrl/?cs=9737

Mjab

Juniors

I just hope the club is not forking out more cash to this dude
I’m sick of it
He got himself into this mess and we should just F him off and move on