What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
I don't. Naden knows the protocol and he broke it. If suspended, this may end his career.

He is human, he has made a huge mistake, just not sure he deserves to be rubbed out of the game for mistake, error of judgement whatever you wish to call it. I understand these sort of issues divide opinions but I just hope the kid gets a second chance. Whether it is with the Panthers is another question, although personally I hope he stays with us and he gets a chance to turn things around. I understand many don’t agree and I respect those opinions.

Jane Murray

Bench
He is human, he has made a huge mistake, just not sure he deserves to be rubbed out of the game for mistake, error of judgement whatever you wish to call it. I understand these sort of issues divide opinions but I just hope the kid gets a second chance. Whether it is with the Panthers is another question, although personally I hope he stays with us and he gets a chance to turn things around. I understand many don’t agree and I respect those opinions.

At the age of 24 Brent is no kid. Also, there are some professions in which someone has tested positive for drugs there are no second chances. Finally, Brent knew the risks, he took a chance, and got caught.

Kilkenny

Coach
At the age of 24 Brent is no kid. Also, there are some professions in which someone has tested positive for drugs there are no second chances. Finally, Brent knew the risks, he took a chance, and got caught.

All true I guess. You take the hard line, which you are entitled to do. I just think the ‘kid’ regardless of his age is worth a second chance, if he doesn’t grasp it, well he only has himself to blame.

Jane Murray

Bench
All true I guess. You take the hard line, which you are entitled to do. I just think the ‘kid’ regardless of his age is worth a second chance, if he doesn’t grasp it, well he only has himself to blame.
I know of someone who has a drug addiction. Naden chose to snort the coke beers, and as a grown man, he must face the consequences of his actions.

The_Frog

First Grade
IIRC this was his second chance. There was an off-field matter a couple of years back that threatened his contract, no idea what the nature of it was.

Kilkenny

Coach
IIRC this was his second chance. There was an off-field matter a couple of years back that threatened his contract, no idea what the nature of it was.

As I recall he was let go by Gus for a minor indiscretion basically being in an area of our academy in which he was not entitled to be. It was an area reserved only for the first grade squad. He didn’t react the way he should have done, ie not in a professional manner and that’s when he went to Mounties the Raiders feeder club. I don’t believe it was alcohol related and while the extent of his reaction is open to debate, in other words I’m not sure, that was what was put out there as the reason for his release. If I recall correctly Gus was still at the club when Naden was brought back to the club from the Knights where he was at the time.

Sime_11

Juniors
if the NRL wanted to be serious about stamping this kind of stuff out of the game - they should take a hardline stance of not registering a players contract with any NRL club regardless if they have served the punishment for the crime.

As others have said, the amount of courses/information available to players on these kinds of issues are huge - its practically impossible these days for players to say they didn't know etc - there really is no excuses (mental health/wellbeing aside)

But how its ruled on these days and previous years - countless players have been in trouble with this kind of behaviour and get another chance (usually) - so why not Brent? Until the NRL want to properly crack down on this behavior and genuinely have a ZERO tolerance for this behaviour - let Brent get the help he needs, serve the required punishment and let him play if he's good enough for the team & the NRL.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
As I recall he was let go by Gus for a minor indiscretion basically being in an area of our academy in which he was not entitled to be. It was an area reserved only for the first grade squad. He didn’t react the way he should have done, ie not in a professional manner and that’s when he went to Mounties the Raiders feeder club. I don’t believe it was alcohol related and while the extent of his reaction is open to debate, in other words I’m not sure, that was what was put out there as the reason for his release. If I recall correctly Gus was still at the club when Naden was brought back to the club from the Knights where he was at the time.

No that was initated by Anothony Griffin, not Gus. I understand it was his doing.

Kilkenny

Coach
No that was initated by Anothony Griffin, not Gus. I understand it was his doing.

Gus had total control over hiring and firing. It happened under Griffins watch but I think I his being released was sanctioned by Gus and I’m sure there was a media release from Gus about how much it pained him at the time. Shame then, even bigger disappointment now I guess but I just don’t see how banishing Naden from our club or the game itself really addresses the issue. Naden f**ked up, no idea the reasons why. Let’s make no mistake cocaine is a scourge on society and is being used by individuals from all walks of life, including the very well to do in society.

soc123_au

Staff member
He made a dumb decision & will cop a punishment, I'm fine with whatever direction the club takes on it either way.

personally I think they should just legalise it. It's no worse than alcohol or tobacco imo. The synthetic shit like ice should still be illegal. Imagine if they did legalise non synthetic drugs. Picture Kikau on the charge after a bad hit of Mushrooms imagining he is being chased by giant lizards. He would be unstoppable. Ha ha.

Jane Murray

Bench
He made a dumb decision & will cop a punishment, I'm fine with whatever direction the club takes on it either way.

personally I think they should just legalise it. It's no worse than alcohol or tobacco imo. The synthetic shit like ice should still be illegal. Imagine if they did legalise non synthetic drugs. Picture Kikau on the charge after a bad hit of Mushrooms imagining he is being chased by giant lizards. He would be unstoppable. Ha ha.
Clearly then you have not had to deal with someone who is addicted to drugs.

soc123_au

Staff member
Clearly then you have not had to deal with someone who is addicted to drugs.
Bold statement, how would you know what I have & havent dealt with? I did also specify non synthetic drugs.

Nicotine & alcohol addiction are also serious problems, yet perfectly legal. The US had a crack at criminalising the distribution of alcohol nearly 100 years ago, history shows it didnt go so well. Pot, Cocaine, Mushrooms etc were all legal for a long time before they were criminalised, society at the time wasn't under threat from any of them. Opium would be the exception. Pills etc are a different thing all together. These are just my opinions, I don't expect many to agree with me.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just to add to that, the majority of issues related to drugs are due to the fact they are criminalised. Not as much the drugs themselves. Again opium being the exception.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Gus had total control over hiring and firing. It happened under Griffins watch but I think I his being released was sanctioned by Gus and I’m sure there was a media release from Gus about how much it pained him at the time. Shame then, even bigger disappointment now I guess but I just don’t see how banishing Naden from our club or the game itself really addresses the issue. Naden f**ked up, no idea the reasons why. Let’s make no mistake cocaine is a scourge on society and is being used by individuals from all walks of life, including the very well to do in society.

Yep your right about drugs being the scourge on society.

Jane Murray

Bench
Just to add to that, the majority of issues related to drugs are due to the fact they are criminalised. Not as much the drugs themselves. Again opium being the exception.
Your comment about coke being legalized has hit a nerve with me. I know of someone, who is close to me, is addicted to that shit, so you have, unintentionally, hit a nerve.

soc123_au

Staff member
Your comment about coke being legalized has hit a nerve with me. I know of someone, who is close to me, is addicted to that shit, so you have, unintentionally, hit a nerve.
Fair enough. Addiction is a funny thing (not funny ha ha of course) it affects people in different ways. The majority of people can drink, smoke pot, use coke etc as a purely recreational thing & have it under control. A few have it control them. Sadly some people seem to be prewired to addiction, if it's not coke, it's alcohol, or gambling etc. Stuff like cigarettes, opium, ice etc are addictive to the majority that use them & fall into a different catagory.

I think nicotine should be banned ahead of coke & pot. I say that as a smoker, giving that shit up is hard. The others I have used at various times & have never had anything close to an addiction. Again just my own experiences & opinions.

Jane Murray

Bench
Fair enough. Addiction is a funny thing (not funny ha ha of course) it affects people in different ways. The majority of people can drink, smoke pot, use coke etc as a purely recreational thing & have it under control. A few have it control them. Sadly some people seem to be prewired to addiction, if it's not coke, it's alcohol, or gambling etc. Stuff like cigarettes, opium, ice etc are addictive to the majority that use them & fall into a different catagory.

I think nicotine should be banned ahead of coke & pot. I say that as a smoker, giving that shit up is hard. The others I have used at various times & have never had anything close to an addiction. Again just my own experiences & opinions.
I also know someone who is battling an ICE addiction. Now can you understand my stance?

soc123_au

Staff member
I also know someone who is battling an ICE addiction. Now can you understand my stance?
I understand why you feel the way you do & have no issue with it.

I just have a different opinion & have explained why. I have had people very close to me have addiction problems, my father is a compulsive gambler. he hasn't had a bet for over 25 years now, but still considers himself as an addict. He wont even buy a raffle ticket. My mum did an amazing job when my sister& I were growing up to shield us from the old boys problem. I had no idea about it until things came to a head when I was about 15 & he started to deal with it. Some things from earlier suddenly made sense. Even with that I don't have an issue with people who enjoy a flutter, I have the occasional bet myself, it's never really grabbed me though. I have had many discussions with dad on the subject of addiction & that is how I have formed a lot of my opinions. he was also a cop from age 19 until he retired, so had plenty of experience dealing with addicts of all types.

Jane Murray

Bench
I understand why you feel the way you do & have no issue with it.

I just have a different opinion & have explained why. I have had people very close to me have addiction problems, my father is a compulsive gambler. he hasn't had a bet for over 25 years now, but still considers himself as an addict. He wont even buy a raffle ticket. My mum did an amazing job when my sister& I were growing up to shield us from the old boys problem. I had no idea about it until things came to a head when I was about 15 & he started to deal with it. Some things from earlier suddenly made sense. Even with that I don't have an issue with people who enjoy a flutter, I have the occasional bet myself, it's never really grabbed me though. I have had many discussions with dad on the subject of addiction & that is how I have formed a lot of my opinions. he was also a cop from age 19 until he retired, so had plenty of experience dealing with addicts of all types.
If I came across as being disrespectful with my earlier comment, I am sorry.