What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

soc123_au

Staff member
If I came across as being disrespectful with my earlier comment, I am sorry.
It's fine. I took no offence. I just gave further explanation to point out that people can experience very similar things & take something completely different out of it.

Some drugs have a huge positive side, opium plays a huge role in the medical world, granted in the wrong hands it's very dangerous.

Coke gave us the most popular beverage in the modern world, they still use coca leaves, but the fun part is removed. I can only speculate, but I reckon it played a part in making AC/DC one of the best live acts of the last 50 years.

WIthout LSD some of the greatest music ever made wouldn't exist, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Doors etc etc etc.

Hemp speaks for itself, it's the undisputed king of the plant world. So many uses I couldn't begin to list them all.

Jane Murray

Bench
It's fine. I took no offence. I just gave further explanation to point out that people can experience very similar things & take something completely different out of it.

Some drugs have a huge positive side, opium plays a huge role in the medical world, granted in the wrong hands it's very dangerous.

Coke gave us the most popular beverage in the modern world, they still use coca leaves, but the fun part is removed. I can only speculate, but I reckon it played a part in making AC/DC one of the best live acts of the last 50 years.

WIthout LSD some of the greatest music ever made wouldn't exist, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Doors etc etc etc.

Hemp speaks for itself, it's the undisputed king of the plant world. So many uses I couldn't begin to list them all.

I am aged 50, and I was told when I was younger, Cocla actually contained small traces of cocaine.

Kilkenny

Coach

You make some very good points, can’t disagree with any.

In the sporting world however drugs are taboo and cannot be condoned.

I think for me the biggest issue around recreational drugs is the fact it involves the involvement of organised crime and outlaw motor cycle gangs in particular. They profit from it and as a consequence there involvement often involves, murder, extortion and associated violence. It is not a victimless crime, far from it.

soc123_au

Staff member
You make some very good points, can’t disagree with any.

In the sporting world however drugs are taboo and cannot be condoned.

I think for me the biggest issue around recreational drugs is the fact it involves the involvement of organised crime and outlaw motor cycle gangs in particular. They profit from it and as a consequence there involvement often involves, murder, extortion and associated violence. It is not a victimless crime, far from it.

I agree with you. Decriminalisation removes that element.

Kilkenny

Coach
It is so sad we are having these discussions but six weeks on from our first GF appearance in 17 years.

Conversations around players we have released, conversations around our salary cap woes and now a key player in our season testing positive for using cocaine.

You just couldn’t have scripted this stuff, never in my worst nightmare could I dreamt any of these situations were going to occur six weeks ago.

Losing the GF was disappointing, everything that has gone done since has been far worse.

Kilkenny

Coach

I’m not sure quite how we go down the path of legalising drugs that are currently prohibited but certainly taking away the profits currently enjoyed by organised crime can only be a good thing. It is a huge dilemma. I’m not sure it will ever happen. It’s just all too hard.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Saw my mum shooting speed/ice growing up as a kid so I definitely know the bad drugs can do but I also think people should be able to do as they wish. The war on drugs has been a total failure and we need to tackle the issue differently.

I do a bit of coke from time to time but its pretty rare these days

soc123_au

Staff member
Saw my mum shooting speed/ice growing up as a kid so I definitely know the bad drugs can do but I also think people should be able to do as they wish. The war on drugs has been a total failure and we need to tackle the issue differently.

Yep, most people grow out of it as priorities change. It's sad for the ones that don't though. I hope your mum has it together now.

Jane Murray

Bench

I have been the victim of an addicts rage, and I didn't do anything wrong. My point is there are victims because of the actions of others.

WepnutV

Juniors
Gus had total control over hiring and firing. It happened under Griffins watch but I think I his being released was sanctioned by Gus and I’m sure there was a media release from Gus about how much it pained him at the time. Shame then, even bigger disappointment now I guess but I just don’t see how banishing Naden from our club or the game itself really addresses the issue. Naden f**ked up, no idea the reasons why. Let’s make no mistake cocaine is a scourge on society and is being used by individuals from all walks of life, including the very well to do in society.
Such as lawyers , judges, police officers , journalists, politcions, bankers, teachers, maybe some preachers. i agree he dont deserve haveing his contract ripped up or anything.. People have been doing recreational drugs since the beginning of time, he fronted up and knows he has a problem and underlying issues. I think 5,6 game suspension a decent fine. What he needs to do is reach out to one of the thousands of ex coke heads whos had success and lost the lot becuase of there coke problem and Im talking the wife & kids have left, sold his cars, lost the business and no longer has a nose, there the people that can help Naden stay off that path. if the worst thing he does is snort some cocain then punish him with a suspension and what not and all info of the matter should be kept between the player the club and the nrl and the poeple who tested him as his actions have effected no else but himsel. What gives me the shits is why on earth does anyone else need to know let alone evrybody who reads the newsapaper or follow nrl. its the only way it could possibly have a negative effect on anyone else apart from naden.( im thinking kids and young men who look up to Naden who may now think its cool or ok to snort cocain).

The_Frog

First Grade
I am aged 50, and I was told when I was younger, Cocla actually contained small traces of cocaine.
At the same time, 19th century, you could buy tonic to stop babies crying. Of course when it wore off they cried even more. Not surprising, since it contained morphine.
31571441_H25632575.JPEG

Kilkenny

Coach
Such as lawyers , judges, police officers , journalists, politcions, bankers, teachers, maybe some preachers. i agree he dont deserve haveing his contract ripped up or anything.. People have been doing recreational drugs since the beginning of time, he fronted up and knows he has a problem and underlying issues. I think 5,6 game suspension a decent fine. What he needs to do is reach out to one of the thousands of ex coke heads whos had success and lost the lot becuase of there coke problem and Im talking the wife & kids have left, sold his cars, lost the business and no longer has a nose, there the people that can help Naden stay off that path. if the worst thing he does is snort some cocain then punish him with a suspension and what not and all info of the matter should be kept between the player the club and the nrl and the poeple who tested him as his actions have effected no else but himsel. What gives me the shits is why on earth does anyone else need to know let alone evrybody who reads the newsapaper or follow nrl. its the only way it could possibly have a negative effect on anyone else apart from naden.( im thinking kids and young men who look up to Naden who may now think its cool or ok to snort cocain).

It is a personal choice whether to take recreational drugs.

It is a personal choice to smoke cigarettes or drink excessive amounts of alcohol.

Brent Naden is an NRL player and therefore held to higher accountability than others in society many of whom are not the subject of random drug testing.

Sadly the use of prohibited drugs is very prevalent in our society and I personally don’t see how Brent Naden being caught using cocaine will encourage others to use the drug.

Smug Panther

First Grade
It is a personal choice whether to take recreational drugs.

It is a personal choice to smoke cigarettes or drink excessive amounts of alcohol.

Brent Naden is an NRL player and therefore held to higher accountability than others in society many of whom are not the subject of random drug testing.

Sadly the use of prohibited drugs is very prevalent in our society and I personally don’t see how Brent Naden being caught using cocaine will encourage others to use the drug.
Sadly in all cases though? People can have some bloody fantastic life changing experiences on drugs. Especially things like LSD or MDMA

The_Frog

First Grade
He made a dumb decision & will cop a punishment, I'm fine with whatever direction the club takes on it either way.

personally I think they should just legalise it. It's no worse than alcohol or tobacco imo. The synthetic shit like ice should still be illegal. Imagine if they did legalise non synthetic drugs. Picture Kikau on the charge after a bad hit of Mushrooms imagining he is being chased by giant lizards. He would be unstoppable. Ha ha.
Tried the odd meanie many many years ago but never had this sort of effect.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sadly in all cases though? People can have some bloody fantastic life changing experiences on drugs. Especially things like LSD or MDMA

Ive never used any so called recreational drug so I’m not to best person to comment.

I’m no saint and have my demons with alcohol and nicotine. It is what it is.

WepnutV

Juniors
I have been the victim of an addicts rage, and I didn't do anything wrong. My point is there are victims because of the actions of others.
Victim of an addicts rage? intresting.. What has TV, Suger, work, money, shopping, coffee, games, computers, digging holes, sneezing, surfing, reading, writeing, maths, lsd, amphetamines, sky diveing, running, fishing, alcohol, sleeping, nicotine and cocain all have in commen?

Smug Panther

First Grade
Ive never used any so called recreational drug so I’m not to best person to comment.

I’m no saint and have my demons with alcohol and nicotine. It is what it is.
Yeah drink is my vice too. Its defiantly more harmful than weed for example.....what do ya do