What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

The more I hear Hook speak the happier I am

it’s pretty clear that he will give the young players a chance if Hunt or Norman fail to perform.

Excited that Cody Ramsey has put on 5-6kg and has reached 88kg already.

The new policy of refusing to sign players to
merely make up the numbers is refreshing.

Finally heading in the right direction.

The fact that Hook followed the Dragons as a kid doesn’t hurt.

I was impressed that he made mention of our fan base.

I have a feeling the sleeping giant of the NRL is about to wake up.

Common Saints !!!!!!!!!!!!

BLM01

First Grade
Refreshing interview, all what I wanted to hear.

“Defence has been a real issue for the team, conceding I think nearly 24 points per game for two years,” he said.
“You can’t win with that.. you are relying on teams to play badly against you.
"And then with the football – we’ve gone right back to scratch.. we’re going to build a system that suits the team.”

Says it all really...where we are as a team. Attack and defence not working. Well done predecessors!

it’s pretty clear that he will give the young players a chance if Hunt or Norman fail to perform.

Well Said.
I read this and got fired up myself ready to rip in.
Let’s all be patient with the recruiting and trust these guys.
For years we have been pleading for the younger guys to get a go. We might just get that now until the better / smarter players want to join up and buy into the new Dragons culture on come onboard.
If the young guys coming through the system have the goods well guess what we don’t need to recruit too many.

SnowDragon

Juniors
A little repetition, but those were damm well crafted articles. I was not sure wrt Griffen, but I am coming around real quick... the proof is in the pudding, and the jdb payments concern me, but I’ll trust them for now and dare to get excited!

hewi

Bench
Let’s hope that not only can he talk the talk but walks the talk and the team plays with pride. I can take been beaten but only when we go down fighting and are not a rabble as has been the case the bulk of the last 5 years. For Hook to show us the fans that the peanut was as bad as we said would make me very happy.

Old Timer

Coach

“Defence has been a real issue for the team, conceding I think nearly 24 points per game for two years,” he said.
"And then with the football – we’ve gone right back to scratch.. we’re going to build a system that suits the team.”

Says it all really...where we are as a team. Attack and defence not working. Well done predecessors!
So f**king much for the much heralded Flanno

Wtf was having him all about and exactly what did that achieve?

We dodged a bullet not signing him up again.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors

Maybe it was a guy who at one point lost the respect of the entire league community coming in and still getting more from the playing group that made the club realise they needed a real coach who the players will listen to.

If that’s Flannos legacy then I’ll take it

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

I had a similar reaction- interesting what he said about Ramsey as I felt he didn't look as big when he debuted on the wing last year as he did on his junior highlight reels. I'm not confident about Dufty- and his body type seems one that can't get a lot bigger- so Ramsey could be the big challenger to him for FB.

rasaint

Juniors
I am still miffed at the apparent salary cap pressures after offloading a heap of players. Surely even excluding JDB we must still have at least $1.5. Yes, Bird has arrived as has a couple of unheralded props.
I realise $ 2 million odd is tied up to Ben Hunt and Cory Norman but still don’t get it as Other teams just keep building with good nrl players.

anyway, patience is a virtue.

getsmarty

Immortal
I am still miffed at the apparent salary cap pressures after offloading a heap of players. Surely even excluding JDB we must still have at least $1.5. Yes, Bird has arrived as has a couple of unheralded props.
I realise $ 2 million odd is tied up to Ben Hunt and Cory Norman but still don’t get it as Other teams just keep building with good nrl players.

With all due respect, read the reply by @ Drew-sta here...

.https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/griffin-official.481806/page-30

Have a good Day.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade

Yet Young was given the main coach's role ?

possm

Coach

I have a feeling that our 2021 cap was going to be a real mess and even though we off-loaded a lot of cap space, there still needed to be some major surgery curried out for the next two seasons 2021 and 2022. So there is a mix of actions that need to be taken:
1. The recruitment of a couple of forwards to strengthen our pack.
2. The front ending of a a couple of contracts to reduce the salary cap problems we are likely to face in 2022.

The management of our salary cap has been nothing but a MESS.

getsmarty

Immortal
I have a feeling that our 2021 cap was going to be a real mess and even though we off-loaded a lot of cap space, there still needed to be some major surgery curried out for the next two seasons 2021 and 2022. So there is a mix of actions that need to be taken:
1. The recruitment of a couple of forwards to strengthen our pack.
2. The front ending of a a couple of contracts to reduce the salary cap problems we are likely to face in 2022.

The management of our salary cap has been nothing but a MESS.

With all due respect, your comments in regard to our cap are not correct...

I suggest that you read the link I provided ...

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/griffin-official.481806/page-30

The comments from Drew-sta and dragons21 are correct.

Have a good day possm.

BLM01

First Grade

I disagree OT
Assistant is just that. Don’t blame Flanno.
He still had to work under and except his masters ways and final decisions who I’m sure he probably didn’t have full respect for.as a master coach.

All he can do is come up plans and ideas. It does not make the players instantly succeed and gel overnight.
In saying that under Flanno Dufty and Zac said how much they learned having Flanno there and whose idea was it finally to put Zac at centre. I bet it wasn’t Mc85 yrs from a GF

they looked clunky as out if practice wilts ball skills and running attacking plays and when it broke down or a few errors kick in..
I bet the master said f... this and got back to dragons footy and basics
The poor players did not know where they stood where they were gonna play who’s in who’s out all thanks to the master. No wonder they could not perform as a team.

I guarantee that stint with us has not tarnished his coaching abilities when he starts looking for a job next year or attraction

Gareth67

First Grade
I disagree OT
Assistant is just that. Don’t blame Flanno.
He still had to work under and except his masters ways and final decisions who I’m sure he probably didn’t have full respect for.as a master coach.

All he can do is come up plans and ideas. It does not make the players instantly succeed and gel overnight.
In saying that under Flanno Dufty and Zac said how much they learned having Flanno there and whose idea was it finally to put Zac at centre. I bet it wasn’t Mc85 yrs from a GF

they looked clunky as out if practice wilts ball skills and running attacking plays and when it broke down or a few errors kick in..
I bet the master said f... this and got back to dragons footy and basics
The poor players did not know where they stood where they were gonna play who’s in who’s out all thanks to the master. No wonder they could not perform as a team.

I guarantee that stint with us has not tarnished his coaching abilities when he starts looking for a job next year or attraction

As you have said BLMO1 the games of those 3 players under the guidance of Flanagan certainly did improve dramatically and that in itself was worth having him as assistant coach .

Just a shame that our forwards were so leg weary due to the maestros one out running and having no respite from their efforts - due to a reserves bench that was very rarely used - that they could not improve also .

But at the very least they will have plenty of heart next season and that long forgotten ‘ will to win ‘ .

getsmarty

Immortal
December 3 2020 - 10:30AM
Dragons: De Belin drama not an issue for Griffin
Dragons Den
r0_0_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FOCUS: Anthony Griffin insists the prolonged saga surrounding stood down star Jack de Belin won't be a distraction in his first year in charge of the Dragons. Picture: Dragons Media

NEW Dragons coach Anthony Griffin insists the prolonged saga surrounding stood down star Jack de Belin won't be a distraction as he looks to reboot the club's fortunes next season.

De Belin will be sidelined for at least part of a third straight season after his trial on sexual assault charges in Wollongong District Court ended in a hung jury on Monday.

De Belin and co-accused Callan Sinclair have pleaded not guilty to five charges stemming from an alleged sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in a Wollongong apartment in December 2018. They'll now face a retrial in Sydney on April 12.

The Dragons, and the NRL, had hoped to see the matter resolved one way or another well in advance of the 2021 season, but the 29-year-old will now remain subject to the game's No Fault policy. It's an inherited situation for Griffin, but he says it's not weighing too heavily in the early stages of his new role.

"It doesn't impact me at all and I don't think it'll impact the club," Griffin said.

"Jack's been out of the game for two years now, it's a legal process I've got no control over and the club has not control over. We'll watch that and see what happens but, for me, it has no [impact] on how I operate or what I do.

"Right at the moment, it's something that's external to what's happening here. I get the feeling through the club that everyone wishes him well with what happens in the future but, in the end, he's got a legal issue he needs to deal with and the courts will take care of that.

"Jack and the girl involved are going through a legal process that's got nothing to do with me. If I had any control over it I might get frustrated but I've got no control over it at all."

De Belin's NRL contract has expired but he is free to resume training duties with the Dragons under an in-principle agreement signed prior to his trial beginning. It's understood the decision on when he returns rests with de Belin and his management, but Griffin doesn't expect it to be swift.

"Not in the short-term I wouldn't think," Griffin said when asked if a return was imminent.

"He's got a legal battle on his hands and, personally, I respect that. That'll be his main focus at the moment I'd say, not training with the football team. He's in a legal battle and it's probably the furthest thing from his mind at the moment.

"He's just got to do what's right for him at the moment with his legal team and take care of that."

While de Belin won't be paid in full until the conclusion of legal proceedings, the in-principle arranegement gives the club little wriggle room in the recruitment market to fill the experience void left by Tyson Frizell and James Graham. Griffin said roster and salary cap management is something he'll leave to others.

"I'm not too sure how that works, it's probably a question for [chief executive] Ryan Webb," Griffin said.

"I know he's spoken to Andrew Abdo over the last week or so about how that fits with dispensation on the cap but I can't really answer that one. I'll find out from Ryan Webb in due course as to how that affects our salary cap but, logically, it won't affect it if the NRL have stood him down.

"It's honestly not an issue for me. Jack hasn't [played] for two years so we don't have to replace him. Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Jacob Host have left, we've got Poasa Faamausili from the Roosters and he's trained really well, Jack Bird has come onto the list.

"I've got a lot of confidence in the guys that are here, [Blake] Lawrie, [Jackson] Ford, [Josh] Kerr's going to come back after Christmas. We've still got some [recruitment] capacity salary cap-wise and we'll fill that when we get the right people that we think are going to add to our list."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...belin-drama-not-an-issue-for-griffin/?cs=3713

Latest posts