What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

BLM01

First Grade
All seems to be going in the right direction. If we can strengthen our forwards it will fill me with a little more comfort.
Another top front rower and back rower would be good.
I feel Griffin is trying to install mental toughness.
Yes and it’s obviously clear that history (the media) tells us that some players don’t warm to Hook’s dry tough no nonsense attitude style.
But for us we can warm to it because what we have seen thus far to come out of his mouth is almost the exact opposite to what we been listening to previously.
Hook has not mentioned once that he was 5 or 85 mins from playing in a GF... not like the door to door salesman that we had

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Isn't it great, after 7 years, to finally listen to a real coach speak about the Dragons. None of this master manipulation we got from McGimp.

Yes, proof will be in the results on field, but moreso, the way we play, the execution of plays and the attitude of the playing group as a whole, these are the areas I want to see.

Also, don't discard the importance of Elliott and Gentle as assistants. Both have a wealth of knowledge of the game, so much so that a playing squad, who, for the last 7 yrs have only known the rule of McGregor and the muppets. Even drilling down to a new CC coach and now our pathways coaches in Head and Timmins, who are also responsible for junior recruitement. I'm happy they've retained Talou as Flegg coach.

The standing joke with us is the 'toughest pre-season ever", however, this may just ring true this year under some real coaching.

thebigredv

First Grade
Yes, I think we are bound to see improvement. After all he is an actual coach.

However, one thing has become evidently clear of late - we have some pea-hearted players and others who are extremely overpaid given the deficiencies in their game. As much as Griffin will be a breath of fresh change I really don't believe in the playing group.

This will sound harsh but you can find only one complete player in our squad. The one who turns up week in week out. Without mentioning names, we have others who can't defend, others who can't manage match situations or pressure and others that mentally aren't up to professional sporting level on a consistent basis. The only joy comes from the up and coming prospects who were finally blooded last year.

The coach can only do so much with this group. I suspect this time next year the squad will be unrecognisable.

I wake to another article in which Hunt and Norman are urged to find form...almost makes me laugh with exasperation...meanwhile another article flashes DeBelin's prolonged debacle to the world almost as a reminder of another obstacle sat squarely in our lane. The life of a Dragons supporter has been as average as it gets for almost a decade now. The players don't only have to earn the trust of the coach but a horde of red and white spectators who have been extremely patient.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Yes, I think we are bound to see improvement. After all he is an actual coach.

However, one thing has become evidently clear of late - we have some pea-hearted players and others who are extremely overpaid given the deficiencies in their game. As much as Griffin will be a breath of fresh change I really don't believe in the playing group.

This will sound harsh but you can find only one complete player in our squad. The one who turns up week in week out. Without mentioning names, we have others who can't defend, others who can't manage match situations or pressure and others that mentally aren't up to professional sporting level. The only joy comes from the up and coming prospects who were finally blooded last year.

The coach can only do so much with this group. I suspect this time next year the squad will be unrecognisable.

I wake to another article in which Hunt and Norman are urged to find form...almost makes me laugh with exasperation...meanwhile another article flashes DeBelin's prolonged debacle to the world almost as a reminder of another obstacle sat squarely in our lane. The life of a Dragons supporter has been as average as it gets for almost a decade now. The players don't only have earn the trust of the coach but a horde of red and white spectators who have been extremely patient.
All harsh but true and fair statements there.
But all those defeciencies and mental weaknessess you talk about.
It becomes habit from a coach that seemed to overlook those things that we all saw and just focussed on our stengths as positives and those weaknesses would just magically disappear. (i.e. known as denial and a soft underbelly). Unfortunately just like a leech those problems bury themselves deeper and deeper and become engrained in their game when left alone.
When we had a perceived good 60 min + game every now and then (never saw an 80 min) that was his focus as if to say "see if we could do it then and focus on that we can do it always" on auto pilot without the work.

I believe in Hook working on those weaknesses first and bringing them back out and addressing them..then the other natural football stuff can start to take over.(positives). It will take time to change things but...
As I have said elsewhere the opposite approach to McDenial and it has proven to be fact and his downfall.
Just imagine if he had of stayed and how much worse it would be this year.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
All harsh but true and fair statements there.
But all those defeciencies and mental weaknessess you talk about.
It becomes habit from a coach that seemed to overlook those things that we all saw and just focussed on our stengths as positives and those weaknesses would just magically disappear. (i.e. known as denial and a soft underbelly). Unfortunately just like a leech those problems bury themselves deeper and deeper and become engrained in their game when left alone.
When we had a perceived good 60 min + game every now and then (never saw an 80 min) that was his focus as if to say "see if we could do it then and focus on that we can do it always" on auto pilot without the work.

I believe in Hook working on those weaknesses first and bringing them back out and addressing them..then the other natural football stuff can start to take over.(positives). It will take time to change things but...
As I have said elsewhere the opposite approach to McDenial and it has proven to be fact and his downfall.
Just imagine if he had of stayed and how much worse it would be this year.

Completely agree. You don't have to convince me how much Mary contributed to deficiencies in player's games and a culture of weak-mindedness (please see sack mcgregor thread for reference!) but they are grown men afterall, professionals. In hindsight, the worst thing to ever happen to us was to have some 'strong' starts to the season, most notably 2017 and then that lucky run in 2019 - we took advantage of underdone opposition and put in some legit power play. Not only did this prolong McGregor's tenure of doom but it built our playing group up as something far, far better than it actually was.

I too think Griffin can and will address these aspects but mark my words, many a player will find their way to the scrap heap. I can't say for sure who, perhaps that's the most intriguing aspect of 2021. I don't believe Griffin is as hyped up about the 'talent' we have as he lets on. He knows his stuff. Just like the Aitkens before them, the underperformers will lift their game or go for good.

BLM01

First Grade
Completely agree. You don't have to convince me how much Mary contributed to deficiencies in player's games and a culture of weak-mindedness (please see sack mcgregor thread for reference!) but they are grown men afterall, professionals. In hindsight, the worst thing to ever happen to us was to have some 'strong' starts to the season, most notably 2017 and then that lucky run in 2019 - we took advantage of underdone opposition and put in some legit power play. Not only did this prolong McGregor's tenure of doom but it built our playing group up as something far, far better than it actually was.

I too think Griffin can and will address these aspects but mark my words, many a player will find their way to the scrap heap. I can't say for sure who, perhaps that's the most intriguing aspect of 2021. I don't believe Griffin is as hyped up about the 'talent' we have as he lets on. He knows his stuff. Just like the Aitkens before them, the underperformers will lift their game or go for good.

Agree and you meant the lucky start of season run in 18 when teams worked us out after a bit.
19 was our worst year thus far then 20 rolled around.
I am with you Griffin is not going to publicly bag any player yet..he has strategically put it thus far on the team and culture as a whole..with a little bit of a cattle prod to our $$$ stars.
But he did speak before coming to each and every player via computer or phone hook up letting them know where they stand in his eyes. Would of loved to be a fly on the device.
He will not be frightened to show the door to anyone and that what excites me most

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree and you meant the lucky start of season run in 18 when teams worked us out after a bit.
19 was our worst year thus far then 20 rolled around.
I am with you Griffin is not going to publicly bag any player yet..he has strategically put it thus far on the team and culture as a whole..with a little bit of a cattle prod to our $$$ stars.
But he did speak before coming to each and every player via computer or phone hook up letting them know where they stand in his eyes. Would of loved to be a fly on the device.
He will not be frightened to show the door to anyone and that what excites me most
Agree with many comments here BLM01; also think we are guilty of over romancing our success in 2018. We fell away badly during the second half of that year and limped into the Semis. The Brisbane semi glossed over deep fundamental approaches to our playing style that needed changing but we chose to ignore due to the success of one throw caution to the wind style game. The result > 2019-2020....

BLM01

First Grade
Agree with many comments here BLM01; also think we are guilty of over romancing our success in 2018. We fell away badly during the second half of that year and limped into the Semis. The Brisbane semi glossed over deep fundamental approaches to our playing style that needed changing but we chose to ignore due to the success of one throw caution to the wind style game. The result > 2019-2020....
Ohhh..yeah! But not we.
The shortsighted media, Mary and champagne popping BOD were guilty as charged. No jury required for that. We were a successful club. Job done! :rolleyes:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Thought that it was deliberate that he mentioned Simms, Norman & Vaughan. To me it shows he expects a lot more from them next season.
Dare say Denis they are probably part of the leadership team due to our young squad and their experience. Clever, as he needs these three in particular delivering more next year!

possm

Coach
Thought that it was deliberate that he mentioned Simms, Norman & Vaughan. To me it shows he expects a lot more from them next season.
If we sign a good first grade prop, I think you'll see a different Vaughan to the one that played in 2020. I'm sure he just gave up in 2020 mainly because he did not have a whole lot of support in the front row.

Sims is a good player and will find form early in 2021. In fact I'm tipping him to be at his best right off the mark in round 1. In 2019 and 2020 Sims was playing injured but apparently if going all guns blazing now.

Norman is our big worry. So much cap on the table and so many young guns wanting a run in the NRL 6 jumper. I'm sure Griffin will keep a close eye on his form and will not hesitate to show him the door if he does not perform. I'd say one of our worst signings in recent years.

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin challenges St George Illawarra’s stars
St George Illawarra has only made the finals twice since 2012, and new coach Anthony Griffin knows he needs more from his star players.

Matt Logue
NCA NewsWire
December 3, 20203:56pm
610b972c7341a70fbd1bc6243a6da411

Corey Norman will play a key role for the Dragons next season. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

New St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has challenged the Dragons’ senior players to aim up after failing to lead the famous club to success in recent seasons.

The Dragons have only made the finals twice since 2012, largely on the back of substandard performances from the club’s established players.

Griffin has only been in the St George Illawarra coaching job for just over a month, but he understands the importance of his senior stars stepping up.

“A few of them have got to find a little bit more,” Griffin said.

“Tariq Sims, Paul Vaughan and those types of guys have been good (this pre-season).

“Corey Norman has also been really good, which they need to be because the last couple of years haven’t been where the club obviously wants to be.

“That is the important thing about the training before Christmas, both physically and skill wise.”

Outside of senior players like Vaughan, Norman, Sims and Ben Hunt, the Dragons possess a relatively young squad.

It’s why Griffin hired experienced assistant coaches Matthew Elliott and Peter Gentle to assist with the players’ development.

“I think the playing group needs that – it is not a player-driven group at the moment,” he said.

“So, we need a really experienced coaching staff to help them learn and guide them through the next 18 months.

“Matthew and Peter are both experienced coaches in their own right.

“They have both been around for a long time, so I thought it was important that we got as much experience in here as we could.”

6499121b46de0d39f6d28476fc3dbcfd

New St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has challenged the Dragons’ senior players to aim up. Picture: News CorpSource:Supplied

Off the field, Griffin declared that Jack de Belin’s ongoing sexual assault trial wouldn’t be a distraction for the Dragons.

De Belin will face a second trial in Sydney next year, starting on April 12 at Sydney’s Downing Centre for three weeks.

It means the former Origin forward could miss the majority of the 2021 season.

Griffin believes the Dragons can move on in de Belin’s absence, confirming reports that the club has salary cap space to pursue another forward following the departures of Tyson Frizell and James Graham.

“We have still got some capacity salary cap wise, and we will fill it once we think we are going to add to our list,” he said.

“But it (de Belin’s case) doesn’t impact me at all, and I don’t think it will impact the club.

“Jack has been out of the game for two years now, so it is something for Jack now, and it is a legal process that I have got no control over and the club hasn’t got any control over.

“So, we’ll just sit back and watch that and see what happens, but for me it has got no issue on how I operate or what I do.

“I get the feeling through the club that everyone obviously knows Jack and wish him well with what happens in the future, but in the end he has got a legal issue that he has got to deal with and the courts will take care of that.”

9df02fb49ec994a5756d4815504de95f

Jack de Belin’s ongoing sexual assault trial won’t be a distraction for the Dragons. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Simon Bullard.Source:News Corp Australia

Phil Gould’s review of the Dragons in 2019 led to the ex-player turned Channel 9 commentator saying that the club had issues that would struggle to be fixed within 12 months.

Griffin acknowledges that the club has areas to amend and improve, but he sees some positivity on the horizon.

“They are actually a little bit ahead of where I thought they’d be in a number of ways,” he said.

“But it is a club that finished bottom four two years in a row, so there are obviously a lot of things that need to be better.

“That just doesn’t come down to the coach.

“That is the first person clubs change when clubs aren’t going well, but it comes down to a whole lot of things across the whole club.

“I’ve only been here a month on the field, so I don’t have all the answers yet, but there are a lot of things that we have to improve on to get back into the fight to try and win a competition.

“But my first impressions are that it is a really good club and really good people who are desperate to do well.”

Griffin hasn’t coached in the NRL since parting ways with Penrith in 2018, so he is rapt to be back on the big stage.

“It is nice being out on the field again and coaching,” he said.

“As I said when I got the job, I was always confident that I’d get back into a position like this.

“It is great to be coaching a club like the Dragons.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/a...s/news-story/071dfc23fd488905d60500711e25c3cb

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Third time's a charm for Griffin
Dragons Den
r0_0_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LONG GAME: He's avoiding the term 'rebuilding' but Anthony Griffin says there's no quick fix in turning the Dragons around. Picture: Dragons Media
IN the cut-throat world of NRL coaching, second chances are rare enough. Third chances are almost unheard of but new Dragons coach Anthony Griffin always felt he'd get another opportunity to lead and NRL side.

As far as twice-sacked coaches go, his record is as good as it gets. Six finals appearances in seven seasons - if you include 2018 where the Panthers reached week two of the playoffs just a month after controversially showing him the door.

Overall, it's a career in which he's demonstrably won more games than he's lost (a win percentage of 54 per cent). It made the assumption he'd get another go at it a sound one. He's dipped his toe into the media over the past two years but, as he said on Thursday, the football paddock is where he really belongs.

"As I said when I got the job, I was always confident I'd get back into a position like this and it's great to be coaching a club like the Dragons," Griffin said.

"It's nice being out on the field again, coaching again. I've been coaching for over 20 years in some form or another. You're always looking to learn and trying to improve yourself, that's something I'm passionate about, but in terms of my own identity or authenticity, I'm the same person I was.

"My first impressions are its a really good club with really good people who are desperate to do well. At the moment we're in a pretty good space but obviously, going on our last couple of years, there's a lot of improvement [necessary]."

And therein lies the major question. Of all three gigs he's had in the NRL, his current one is unquestionably the toughest, with the Dragons putting their faith in him to pull the club out of the doldrums after featuring in the finals just twice in the past nine years.

Read more: Ongoing de Belin saga no issues for Griffin

While he's been keen to avoid dreaded 'rebuilding phase' terminology, he's awake to reality that there is no quick fix.

"It's a club that's finished bottom four two years in a row so there's obviously a lot of things that need to be better, that doesn't all come down to the coach," Griffin said.

"Obviously that's the first person most clubs change when things aren't going well but it comes down to a whole lot of things across the whole club. I've only been here for a month so I haven't got all the answers just yet but there's clearly a lot of things we need to improve on to get back in the fight to win a competition.

"Everything's fixable, there's cycles that happen in football and sometimes clubs just get it wrong or, for whatever reason, things don't go their way. You've just got to look at Brisbane now, if you'd said three years ago Brisbane were going to be wooden-spooners you would've got laughed at.

"The rugby league world is a volatile world and things can change really quickly. I'm not sure what's happened here in the past, I'm not really concerned with that, all I know is theres a lot of improvement in the place and I'm just focused on playing my role in making sure we do everything we can to get ourselves back up the ladder."

The most pressing question on-field is how Griffin can unlock the potential of halves pair Ben Hunt and Corey Norman - players he first coached in Brisbane as teenagers.

The pair have been two of the most heavily scrutinised players in the competition for form not matching their hefty pay packets, while there's already clamour for future star Jayden Sullivan to be given the keys next season. Griffin's yet to form a view on it, but one thing he has determined is that he won't make the call based on the salary cap.

"I don't know what they're worth and doesn't bother me what they're worth, it's what they can do for the team," Griffin said.

"Everyone's training really well so they'll all get their chance in time. I haven't worked with him for seven years but I think Ben's got a lot more potential in him to unlock and he knows that.

"Hard work, honesty, leadership, all those things that have got to be important to him if he's going to have a serious crack. Everyone here wouldn't be happy with what's happened the last couple of years so hopefully I'll be able to help him do that.

"He can obviously play a few positions but, for anyone in the team, it's got to be important to them to be team first. Corey Norman's been really good which they need to be. The last couple of years hasn't been where the club wanted to be so a few of them have got to find a little bit more."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-hoping-third-time-really-is-a-charm/?cs=3713

Dragonslayer

First Grade
He was on the big sports breakfast this morning.
The interview can be heard on the bsb podcast,probably later in the day.
JDB not training with the team at the moment..
Bird to play in the back row and a few signings to come were a few points of the interview.

I really beleve this is why Bird was signed to be Frizell replacement. However, Ford will be the starting right edge with Bird on the bench (to start the season at least). Wouldn't surprise me if Ford had an outstanding year niw that McGimp is no longer around.