What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Valheru

Coach
How does $100mill over three years compare to what Fox was offering? Getting on FTA on Saturday night is massive for them. Time to expand and sell the Saturday FTA slot to CH10!!

I believe Fox was offering more.

Sounds like RA are going for mainstream exposure of their content (The Saturday super rugby game) and exposure of their grass roots competitions over the higher dollar figure.

So what does Ch9 go after now to make Stan Sport more appetising?

They do have the Aus Open tennis rights. They could put some matches on Ch9 and the rest on Stan Sport.

Maybe they could make a bid for the French Open?

WTA is tied up with BeIN and ATP with ESPN.

Does Ch9 now go hard at AwFuL since Foxtel haven't extended their deal and Ch7's extension is only to end of 24?

That would leave the ARLC with Ch7 and Ch10 as the only option for FTA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I believe Fox was offering more.

Sounds like RA are going for mainstream exposure of their content (The Saturday super rugby game) and exposure of their grass roots competitions over the higher dollar figure.

It could be far more valuable in the long run. I wish SL would do the same in UK!

taste2taste

Juniors
Is anyone any good at maths ? Just wondering how many subscribers Stan will need to make this profitable ?

30mil a year + roughly 10mil on production costs ÷ $15 a month ( $180 a year) for Stan sport = 220,000 new subscribers needed to break even ?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Is anyone any good at maths ? Just wondering how many subscribers Stan will need to make this profitable ?

30mil a year + roughly 10mil on production costs ÷ $15 a month ( $180 a year) for Stan sport = 220,000 new subscribers needed to break even ?
Leaving out the FTA ad blocks Nine can sell for Saturdays Super Rugby(prob not much) and Wallabies matches(prob worth something). They've paid a pittance for access to every level of Rugby. I'm sure they will get a profit from it.

Perth Red

Post Whore

advertising would pick up half the amount I would think. The likes of Range Rover, Bollinger, rolex etc love to advertise during ruggers games lol the amount of stoppages in unions is nearly as bad as afl, loads of places for nine to go to an ad break!

jargan83

Coach
So what does Ch9 go after now to make Stan Sport more appetising?

They do have the Aus Open tennis rights. They could put some matches on Ch9 and the rest on Stan Sport.

Maybe they could make a bid for the French Open?

WTA is tied up with BeIN and ATP with ESPN.

Does Ch9 now go hard at AwFuL since Foxtel haven't extended their deal and Ch7's extension is only to end of 24?

That would leave the ARLC with Ch7 and Ch10 as the only option for FTA.

I just saw a Stan ad on Instagram announcing that Stan has signed up the French Open and Wimbledon.

Edit: Found a link re: French Open and Wimbledon

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/886722ab-a1f0-4f17-b57e-a805fa5e35db

I came into this thread to ask how the online rights to the NRL work? Did Fox Sports sign up exclusive rights for Kayo?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just saw a Stan ad on Instagram announcing that Stan has signed up the French Open and Wimbledon.

Edit: Found a link re: French Open and Wimbledon

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/886722ab-a1f0-4f17-b57e-a805fa5e35db

I came into this thread to ask how the online rights to the NRL work? Did Fox Sports sign up exclusive rights for Kayo?
I am wondering the same about Kayo. If PVL excluded the streaming rights from the Foxtel deal then he pulled one over Rupes Murdoch and has put RL in a very strong position.

Stan Sport could put Kayo out of business if it gets the exclusive rights to all NRL games.

With Ch7/Foxtel fighting with Cricket Australia over pay, I can see Ch9/Stan Sport coming in and snatching those rights, too.

I predict NRL will stick with Foxtel and the games will stay on Kayo because of their large subscriber base.

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol,as if News Ltd have signed a 7 year deal and not included streaming for all 8 games! The only question is if it is exclusive or not, and if a potential future ninth game is included.

taste2taste

Juniors
advertising would pick up half the amount I would think. The likes of Range Rover, Bollinger, rolex etc love to advertise during ruggers games lol the amount of stoppages in unions is nearly as bad as afl, loads of places for nine to go to an ad break!

I can't see how the numbers add up. If the deal was a bargain for 9 both 10 and 7 would have been desperate to match it
Super Rugby has a TV audience of between 40 and 70 thousand. The highest rating Wallabies games are Bledisloe cup, they rate about 600k on FTA. With those figures they won't be pulling in much revenue with advertising. On most Saturday nights super rugby will be last in the ratings easily outrated by movies on 7 and 10. Ch9 have promised to go all out with their coverage ( drones, new cameras..etc) but I doubt that will last long, like fox, they'll scale back their coverage before too long to just the bear bones.
I think ch9 will heavily rely on Stan Sport subscriptions, they'll need at least 100k new subscribers.

colly

Juniors
News about current financials....
Behind paywall but for your enjoyment.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/1ce9c2f9b598441d88daaa8cc2b44dc1

The NRL is set to finish the season on a high after stunning financial results

Rugby league boss Peter V'landys has successfully steered the NRL through a financial crisis Picture: Getty Images
The NRL is set to emerge from the COVID-19 crisis better than anyone could have imagined thanks to savage costs cuts, a late-season surge of people through the gates and a tsunami of gaming revenue.

The ARL Commission is set to discuss in detail the year’s financials at a meeting on Wednesday but The Australian understands the deficit for the 2020 season could be less than $20 million, a remarkable result when you consider the doom and gloom that enveloped the code earlier in the season.

There were fears at one point that the sport would be decimated by the impact of COVID but the remarkable work of chair Peter V’landys and chief executive Andrew Abdo has ensured rugby league will finish this season with its head well and truly above water – and begin next in better shape than expected.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The result has been achieved despite revenue dropping by more than $100 million over the past 12 months – in 2019 it was $528 million, this year it is believed to be just over $400 million.

A large portion of the drop in revenue is a result of the discounts handed to the game’s broadcast partners. It is understood the Nine Network and Foxtel were given savings of around $50 million this season after tense negotiations between television bosses and rugby league powerbrokers over a reduced schedule and the impact an absence of crowds would have on the product.

READ MORE:Injured Manly stars head south for answers|NRL stands firm on de Belin policy|Sports quiz: test your knowledge|Wests Tigers boss says club no soft touch
It is believed wagering revenue played a significant part in mitigating the damage. Multiple sources confirmed to The Australian that wagering revenue was at least $8 million and potentially $10 million above forecasts.

The results will only enhance V’landys’ standing – he is already considered by many to be the finest sports administrator in the country. A year ago he talked to the game’s stakeholders about the potential to earn more money from wagering on the game’s premium products and he has been true to his word, the influx of cash coming at the ideal time given the way COVID has ravaged the bottom line of all sports across the country.

The damage was further offset thanks to a late deluge of money from gates being thrown open for the grand final. Crowds were also able to attend the State of Origin series but those games took place in November, meaning they are likely to be included in next year’s accounts.

What makes the result even more remarkable is that the NRL gave the clubs more cash than they have at any point in their history as they looked to ensure they finished the season with 16 solvent teams.

The alternative would have been a disaster given the code is committed to providing eight games a week for the broadcasters. The commission is yet to finalise payments for the clubs moving forward, largely due to the fact that they are yet to strike a deal with the players for the next two seasons.

The NRL initially offered a pay cut of 10 per cent in 2021 but the union responded by asking that it only be five per cent. The parties are believed to be close to a deal, although the vast majority of clubs and players have already been paid for the month of November.

It means that the clubs will have to claw that money back from the players once a deal is struck. The NRL’s strong financial results are likely to ease concerns over a range of issues moving forward, including the prospect of expansion.

There were fears the game would take years to overcome the lingering impact of COVID-19 and therefore would be reluctant to expand by adding a 17th team via southeast Queensland. However, the game’s leadership through the pandemic has meant that officials will finish the season with a degree of confidence that they can navigate any challenges in the future, even allowing for the introduction of another team in 2023.

The NRL has a line of credit available, although they are unlikely to need it given their robust returns in 2020. At the same time, the positive financial outcome is likely to pique the interests of private investors, who have been circling the code in recent months.

The ARL Commission has been investigating the potential of private equity investment given other sports around the world have sold stakes in their competitions.