What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Mcinnes

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Exactly this. Many are judging him solely on his game under McGimp.

Lets hold off on this until we see him play under a real coaching set-up.
And to be fair even under Mary you could easily fill a video of him running the ball, setting up tries and cutting blokes in half from his Dragons years. He’s had plenty of good highlights with us too and at the Bunnies they had a very pack when he played there. I think he is as fit as he can possibly be being so self driven but he will look a lot better with better players around him. If pack get more of a roll he’ll have more chances to run. When he runs he will have players in support namely Matt Dufty hopefully. Hook spoke about making a game plan to suit our team hopefully that involves a lot of work between the Duft man and McInnes.

TruSaint

Referee
And to be fair even under Mary you could easily fill a video of him running the ball, setting up tries and cutting blokes in half from his Dragons years. He’s had plenty of good highlights with us too and at the Bunnies they had a very pack when he played there. I think he is as fit as he can possibly be being so self driven but he will look a lot better with better players around him. If pack get more of a roll he’ll have more chances to run. When he runs he will have players in support namely Matt Dufty hopefully. Hook spoke about making a game plan to suit our team hopefully that involves a lot of work between the Duft man and McInnes.

Agree.
If you recall his first season with us, he was covering all aspects of a top notch 9.
It's apparent to anyone who has watched his career that he was then told to pass from d/h, limit his darts and runs, and make 50 plus tackles a game.
He's 26, a leader, and still has improvement in him if guided well.

possm

Coach
Bennett had Dragon players each understanding their area in defence that they were responsible for. Players learned to trust their team mates and use skills and techniques to form their famous brick wall defence.

Our forwards need to return to the brick wall defence and each member of the pack look after their patch. If this happens, McInnes will have more time and energy to run the ball in the same way Cook does.

redv13

Bench
Bennett had Dragon players each understanding their area in defence that they were responsible for. Players learned to trust their team mates and use skills and techniques to form their famous brick wall defence.

Our forwards need to return to the brick wall defence and each member of the pack look after their patch. If this happens, McInnes will have more time and energy to run the ball in the same way Cook does.
Sounds lovely in theory possm but our current forwards are a bunch of soft cock’s compared to Scott, Weyman, Costigan, J Smith, Saffy etc. Sadly there isn’t 1 current forward who oozes intimidation in any way like those boys did

TruSaint

Referee
Sounds lovely in theory possm but our current forwards are a bunch of soft c**k’s compared to Scott, Weyman, Costigan, J Smith, Saffy etc. Sadly there isn’t 1 current forward who oozes intimidation in any way like those boys did

Yep...........
Can you name me one current forward who would have been selected in 2010 ?

thebigredv

First Grade
For mine there's no question on McInnes' value to the team. Consistency-wise he is our best player. He is a star moreso for his work ethic than blowing games open.

Ideally we sign him up now with an increase on his last contract but not on SOO money.

He probably wants out like the rest of them.

Gareth67

First Grade
Sounds lovely in theory possm but our current forwards are a bunch of soft c**k’s compared to Scott, Weyman, Costigan, J Smith, Saffy etc. Sadly there isn’t 1 current forward who oozes intimidation in any way like those boys did

Use to love watch those players tackle , perhaps more so Neville Costigan , so similar to the ‘ axe ‘ Trevor Gilmester of the Roosters .

Gareth67

First Grade
Hey Gareth remember Roddy Mcgregor 1977 now that guy could tackle around the anklesView attachment 44354

Yes Banjo - you called it buddy - right around the ankles . How many players in this day and age do you see tackling like that .

I felt for him as he left the Dragons at the end of 1978 and went over to the wabbits only to miss out on another premiership as the Saints went marching in against Canterbury-Bankstown in 1979 .

Maddragon99

Juniors

McInnes is a work horse tackler however, because so much defensive work comes his way, in my opinion he lacks in other areas. He sends the ball the wrong way often and does not create the attacking opportunities other hookers do. To me Mary has structure our defence far too reliant on McInnes.

Tonight it should have been T Sims and Frizell smashing the opposition halves but no, they had all the room in the world to weave their magic and put in accurate pressure kicks. But the big problem tonight was line speed and the weak links in our backline. Aitken and Lafai have to go and Ravalawa and Pearson need to stay on the opposition wingers.

I thought Leilua, McInnes and Vaughan played well tonight however, there is bad structure and commitment in defence and attack. The sooner they get rid of Mary and the coaching staff the better. Our season is gone again so the sooner we get a new coach in the more likely the repair can be made before next season.

DRAGONS SKIPPER COULD TEST OPEN MARKET

Meanwhile, one of the Dragons’ best in another disappointing season could be on the move.

Cameron McInnes comes off-contract at the end of 2021 and Hooper reports that there has been talk that he will test his value.

“He’s signed with the Red V for next season and will be there but beyond that there’s been some talk late this week that Cameron will go out and test his value on the open market next week,” Hooper told Triple M NRL’s Summer Session.

“I think we will actually see him physically go out and meet with some rival clubs for 2022 and beyond.

“He’s on the record saying he wants to play number 9, and I can totally understand that, he’s one of the best hookers in the game.

“But we did see this season just finished he had some success filling in as a small running lock forward style of role.”

Former Dragons coach Paul McGregor has previously stated that re-signing McInnes should be the club’s top priority.

“The Dragons are lucky to have him, and my only hope is they do everything to keep him. If he comes off contract there will be plenty of clubs after him,” he told the Sydney Morning Heraldin September.

The Dragons will be keen on re-signing McInnes given his undeniable leadership value but he will also garner plenty of interest from other clubs so they will need to move fast.

6bd465cfad94cc07c2fc5766e454f399

Cameron McInnes comes off-contract at the end of 2021. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

Maddragon99

Juniors
DRAGONS SKIPPER COULD TEST OPEN MARKET

Meanwhile, one of the Dragons’ best in another disappointing season could be on the move.

Cameron McInnes comes off-contract at the end of 2021 and Hooper reports that there has been talk that he will test his value.

“He’s signed with the Red V for next season and will be there but beyond that there’s been some talk late this week that Cameron will go out and test his value on the open market next week,” Hooper told Triple M NRL’s Summer Session.

“I think we will actually see him physically go out and meet with some rival clubs for 2022 and beyond.

“He’s on the record saying he wants to play number 9, and I can totally understand that, he’s one of the best hookers in the game.

“But we did see this season just finished he had some success filling in as a small running lock forward style of role.”

Former Dragons coach Paul McGregor has previously stated that re-signing McInnes should be the club’s top priority.

“The Dragons are lucky to have him, and my only hope is they do everything to keep him. If he comes off contract there will be plenty of clubs after him,” he told the Sydney Morning Heraldin September.

The Dragons will be keen on re-signing McInnes given his undeniable leadership value but he will also garner plenty of interest from other clubs so they will need to move fast.

6bd465cfad94cc07c2fc5766e454f399

Cameron McInnes comes off-contract at the end of 2021. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

this only makes sense if they are planning on playing Hunt at 9 in ‘22 & ‘23

possm

Coach
I say we should keep McInnes as our number 9 but not as our captain. I would like to see Griffin and his coaching staff work on McInnes's attacking game and ensure some of the defence up the middle is not so dependant on McInnes.

If the above can be effected without weakening our defence up the middle, McInnes will have more time and energy to attack from dummy half which would be good for our attack.

I'd also like to see McInnes cut out some of those silly penalties which at times has costed Saints dearly.

Having said all of that, McInnes is our best defender by far and nearly always leads the line-speed duties when it really matters. So keeping those good things and at the same time addressing some of the negatives will only strengthen the effeciency of our forward pack.