What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket books - Recommendations?

Just finishing ..

Steve Waugh - Out of my comfort zone.

It’s a haul, that I’ve done in bursts over a few months. But loved it.

I’ve got “under the Southern Cross” by David Boon sitting on my shelf (has been for ages) which I might crack into next..

Others to recommend?

Scott

Bench
I enjoyed Ponting - At the close of play and also Warneys.

Out of my comfort zone was also very good. Monster book.

I recently read Jonny Bairstow - A clear blue sky. Wow. The poor bloke has been through a lot. Harrowing at times.

I'd also recommend James Taylor - Cut Short. Again, he has a hell of a story to tell.

I enjoyed Ponting - At the close of play and also Warneys.

Out of my comfort zone was also very good. Monster book.

I recently read Jonny Bairstow - A clear blue sky. Wow. The poor bloke has been through a lot. Harrowing at times.

I'd also recommend James Taylor - Cut Short. Again, he has a hell of a story to tell.

Cheers Scott. Yeah I’ve heard lots about Jonny’s book like that.

Fangs

Coach
Steve Waugh's Comfort Zone is definately the best I have read of the biography books. Also enjoy a few of his tour diaries. He seems to have cared a bit more about the details.

For something a bit heavier try 'The Bradman Years' by Jack Pollard. Pretty detailed.

Easier reading: Famous Cricketing Families. Very quirky book.

I also find Calypso Summer by Mike Coward pretty easy to digest. Documents the 60-61 Windies tour with the tied test.

TIGER14

Bench
De Villiers autobiography. Great read.
images

Hutty1986

Immortal
Tea and no sympathy - The Grade Cricketer.
It hits so close to home.
Absolute ripper! Both books are sensational. I remember reading The Grade Cricketer with s few cold beers in a pool villa in Bali a few years ago. Glorious.

undertaker

Coach
I remember getting this book as a Christmas present from my mum at the end of my first year of high school:

1372796.jpg

One of the most inspirational cricket books I've read and hard to believe two decades have gone so quickly!

The diary covers the period when the Aussie side was on the rise to greatness with the start of their 16 consecutive test match wins in Zimbabwe, and the team was only going to get better with the additions of Adam Gilchrist and Brett Lee to the starting XI during the 1999/00 summer.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
I managed to find this a few years ago... fans of the old Get This radio show will get the reference. Won't deny I let out a squeal of delight when I found it.

images

undertaker

Coach
I managed to find this a few years ago... fans of the old Get This radio show will get the reference. Won't deny I let out a squeal of delight when I found it.

images

Ah, Tim Zoehrer! There's a blast from the past.

Went from the penthouse (Australian side) to the craphouse a year later, then got randomly selected out of nowhere 7 years later to play a one-off ODI at the WACA before being permanently dropped for good from the WA state side in favour of Adam Gilchrist shortly after.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
This book was very good. I look at twenty20 cricket in a different light now
51tM1rRQ3tL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Out of the autobiographies I've read this one was the best
515r0rs0EXL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Latest posts