What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Well none of them ideally. But obviously that won't happen at some point:

JFH
Yeo
Tetevano
Leota
Leinu

I'm backing Leota to have a big year as well as Leinu if he sticks around. So the odd guy out is Tetevano. But all 5 of those must stay for 2021 unless you line up a replacement. We have gone from 7 first grade middles down to 5 and I doubt we will be as lucky with injuries as we were in 2020. 2022 is a different story as so much can change.

I don't see us retaining Tetevano after this year. 2022 is in club option.

the rest on that list. Leinu aside atleast is worth $50-$100k more on current form. Leinu would be very cheap now so is likely increasing 3 or 4x

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
When you look through the side. Some guys realistically could of doubled their deals. Not be on huge money now

Staines was Development player
Martin would of been on $200k at most as a rookie
To'o close to minimum. $300k now or so
Crichton was minimum
Luai was probably $300k or so. Easily doubles it
Part of Api was paid by Manly. Rumoured to be $150k
Yeo should get $50-$100k more.
Can expect similar for JFH and Kiks

Keeping a young team together is very difficult

Hence my comments in the last 24 hours about some folks choosing to be like henny penny 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

This explains the situation real well.

Hence the chat that was had with Sauce. Why Tamou was let go.

Club is not going to hell in a handbasket no matter how some seem almost keen for it to happen.

Fact players will leave for more money.

Fact it won't mean the sky is falling either. LOL

ACTPanthers

Bench
Hence my comments in the last 24 hours about some folks choosing to be like henny penny 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

Club is not going to hell in a handbasket no matter how some seem almost keen for it to happen.

You're using the same cliches a lot at the moment - We get it, you think a lot of people are overreacting, you don't need to tell us in almost every post you make.

Jane Murray

Bench
We're ok thank you :) doing the really unhealthy thing and burying ourselves in work at the moment lol - We getting there together - Thanks for asking Jane
That's okay just as long as you allow yourselves to grieve. I do not know how you are feeling, and I am not pretending that I do.

Fangs

Coach
I don't see us retaining Tetevano after this year. 2022 is in club option.

the rest on that list. Leinu aside atleast is worth $50-$100k more on current form. Leinu would be very cheap now so is likely increasing 3 or 4x

And that is fine. 2 year deal. I think he has brought value. The rumour about releasing him was bizzare. We have already let go of two middles. At least with Gus you knew he had a plan and usually had a deal done with a replacement first.

Its tough to know the real position we are in until we see the final top 30 plus our reserve grade squad. We would have fielded one of the best reserve sides in the comp in 2020.

franklin2323

Immortal
And that is fine. 2 year deal. I think he has brought value. The rumour about releasing him was bizzare. We have already let go of two middles. At least with Gus you knew he had a plan and usually had a deal done with a replacement first.

Its tough to know the real position we are in until we see the final top 30 plus our reserve grade squad. We would have fielded one of the best reserve sides in the comp in 2020.

Bryce, Merrin and a few others on big money got let go from Gus. Replaced internally. Is that any different then Mansour, Tamou going to be replaced by TBA?

2021 will still be good in lower grades but yeah hard to judge how we look for 2022 yet

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Bryce, Merrin and a few others on big money got let go from Gus. Replaced internally. Is that any different then Mansour, Tamou going to be replaced by TBA?

2021 will still be good in lower grades but yeah hard to judge how we look for 2022 yet

Gus wasted huge amounts of money in signing players up for long term deals, and then seemingly releasing them at a whim.

Kilkenny

Coach

I’m kind of surprised you take the position you do Alice as a very long time Panthers fan.

We only ever had but a few really good squads in our history and this current squad is clearly one of them.

it really isn’t about the sky falling in, or the fact we can’t hang onto all our juniors which we know only too well.

I think the issue is more about how we got ourselves into the position we currently find ourselves in and I acknowledge part of our woes relate to paying significant sums to players contracts who are no longer with us.

Surely our management could have foresaw the risks involved in allowing players to go onto the open market and we could or should have been more proactive in getting them signed up before November 1.

From my perspective we surely should have had certain players locked up as priority re-signings and the fact we didn’t is disappointing, even more so if they actually do leave to add to those who have already departed.

Kilkenny

Coach
Gus wasted huge amounts of money in signing players up for long term deals, and then seemingly releasing them at a whim.

Franklin mentioned Bryce and Trent Merrin I’m not sure they cost us anything. RCG and Waqa Blake certainly did as things have turned out although at the time most were supportive of the deals. I certainly wasn’t in respect of RCG and I posted on here to that effect but was generally shot down at the time. Like many at the time I too thought Blake was an above average centre or better but for whatever reason he never quite reached the heights he could or should have. As I recall RCG and Blake were released by the current brains trust and rightly so I guess even if we are contributing to there current salaries given they weren’t performing for us.

Bob

Juniors
I’m kind of surprised you take the position you do Alice as a very long time Panthers fan.

We only ever had but a few really good squads in our history and this current squad is clearly one of them.

it really isn’t about the sky falling in, or the fact we can’t hang onto all our juniors which we know only too well.

I think the issue is more about how we got ourselves into the position we currently find ourselves in and I acknowledge part of our woes relate to paying significant sums to players contracts who are no longer with us.

Surely our management could have foresaw the risks involved in allowing players to go onto the open market and we could or should have been more proactive in getting them signed up before November 1.

From my perspective we surely should have had certain players locked up as priority re-signings and the fact we didn’t is disappointing, even more so if they actually do leave to add to those who have already departed.
I understand what you're saying here but just maybe the club doesn't want to get burned overestimating the salary cap for next year as Gus did prior to his leaving
"copied the article below which says anywhere from 6 to 7% will be cut from the cap"

The entire NRL playing fraternity is set to forfeit nearly $20 million across the next two seasons, according to The Sydney Morning Herald‘s Christian Nicolussi.

With the six-month standoff between parties close to ceasing, Nicolussi has reported that NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo notified clubs last Sunday that an agreement with the Rugby League Player’s Association was imminent.

Nicolussi believes an official agreement with be finalised by the beginning of next week.

The negotiations between representative bodies commenced after the players agreed upon the necessity of said pay cuts due to the financial decimation of COVID-19.

According to Nicolussi, the RLPA opened negotiations with the proposal of a 2.5 per cent reduction, following players forgoing 48 per cent of their wages for the final five months of the season and 20 percent for the full 12 months.

League bosses countered with a 10 per cent cull that was rebuked, before offering a 7.5 per cent chop that was again rejected by the player’s union.

Nicolussi explained that sources privy to the back and forth negotiations believe that the finalised reduction is likely to close between six and seven per cent.

The impending agreement comes after it was reported each of the sixteen clubs has paid their playing rosters in full for the month of November, with the this set to repeat for December.

Player salaries are understood to have previously sat around the $320 million mark, but with a six or seven per cent cut, $19 and $22 million respectively will be removed.

After Origin representatives took a one third pay cut this season – down from $30,000 per game to $10,000 – the RLPA is aware that retirement, injury and hardship funds have already been affected.

Future Origin and World Cup representatives are also likely to have their wages slashed as well. However, no agreement on this matter has been reached as of yet.

It isn’t just the players that have voluntarily lightened their pockets, with Nicolussi reporting that the NRL has cut nearly $50 million from their budget.

With the aforementioned agreement imminent, clubs soon will be able to begin planning for 2022 and beyond.

ARL commissioner Peter V’Landys has also previously stated that playing rosters will remain at 30 to fairly spread the impending wage dip across the league.

“We’re there for all players, not just a few. There is 30 and we will continue it at 30”, V’Landys explained on Channel 9 earlier in the year.

“There will be a small reduction in the salary cap. I think our reduction will be the least of any sport. As a boy from Wollongong, I’ll be looking after all of them. I take pride in looking after the battler.”

Jane Murray

Bench

Here we go again, you stating that you know the cap space, and signing information.

franklin2323

Immortal
Franklin mentioned Bryce and Trent Merrin I’m not sure they cost us anything. RCG and Waqa Blake certainly did as things have turned out although at the time most were supportive of the deals. I certainly wasn’t in respect of RCG and I posted on here to that effect but was generally shot down at the time. Like many at the time I too thought Blake was an above average centre or better but for whatever reason he never quite reached the heights he could or should have. As I recall RCG and Blake were released by the current brains trust and rightly so I guess even if we are contributing to there current salaries given they weren’t performing for us.

Didn't cost us anything also didn't lead to any external signings. Just went on upgrading the players internally which is likely happening now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts