What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

BLM01

First Grade
I really don't know what Millward is thinking. In my view he should have had forwards lined up for 2021; but apparantly not.

I believe Hetherington would have been a good pickup but now he has gone to the Dogs. I'm not sure of other props that are on the market but if you have some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear of them.

I do have faith in Griffin but I think we need to at least give him a chance to develop a competitive forward pack for season 2021.
So Give Griffin that chance
and stop blaming the club for not announcing a signing when Griffin may not have approved of one yet.
much to everybody’s amazement some deals might be actually done in house and not in the public domain yet or close to it and we might be not that far away
who would know?!:thinking:. Not us that is for sure

getsmarty

Immortal
I really don't know what Millward is thinking. In my view he should have had forwards lined up for 2021; but apparantly not.

I believe Hetherington would have been a good pickup but now he has gone to the Dogs. I'm not sure of other props that are on the market but if you have some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear of them.

I do have faith in Griffin but I think we need to at least give him a chance to develop a competitive forward pack for season 2021.

Many variables...It is not always that black n white...We are active and looking....more to come...

redv13

Bench
Many variables...It is not always that black n white...We are active and looking....more to come...

Saints should try and swap Norman for Napa. They need a 5/8, we need a prop.
Maybe add McGuire or Asiata plus hopefully big Joe and JDB then all of a sudden things are looking much rosier

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
He’s yet to play State of Origin, but Josh Kerr has already joined an elite group of Maroons to win the prestigious Peter Jackson Memorial Award.

Chris Honnery
@cjhonnery
December 9, 2020 - 11:29AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Despite not playing a game during this year’s Origin series, Maroons squad member Josh Kerr has been awarded the prestigious FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award.

The 24-year-old Redcliffe product now becomes part of an elite group of players, including Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater and Darren Lockyer, who have received the award in past years.

It comes as Maroons debutant Jake Friend took out the Ron McAuliffe Medal for players’ player for his efforts during Queensland’s miraculous 2020 series win.

The Peter Jackson Memorial Award is traditionally handed to the player who epitomises the “Queenslander spirit” and Kerr admitted he was left “gobsmacked” to even be considered.

The prop forward was made aware of the achievement on Wednesday when told by head coach Wayne Bennett over the phone.

“I thought he was joking,” Kerr said.

“I didn’t really believe him.

“I didn’t play obviously so I didn’t think I was going to win anything.

“It’s pretty bloody special.”

Kerr admits he was happy to even be considered since he didn’t play an Origin game in 2020. Picture: Nigel Hallett.
He said being part of Camp Maroon this year had fuelled the fire to play for Queensland next year.

“To just be included and my name be tossed up and thought about, for me to be a part of that camp was just something special,” he said.

“I want to play.

“I want to be part of that winning feeling and that winning team and to be part of that young culture that’s coming through and that new dynasty that we’re going to create ourselves.”

Bennett praised both Kerr and Friend for their attitude during the Origin camp.

“Josh brought an enormous amount of passion and energy to our camp,” Bennett said.

“The restrictions while in the bubble were tough at times and Josh was always there to lift everyone around him.

“His spirit epitomised what Peter (Jackson) was all about.

“He put everything into training and regularly spoke to the group about how much the opportunity meant to him and his family

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...rj2P-kxMrSmI_zPB3rgblE7Vz1N7rSIVTAgmqW8KzzUCk

blacksafake

First Grade
He’s yet to play State of Origin, but Josh Kerr has already joined an elite group of Maroons to win the prestigious Peter Jackson Memorial Award.

Chris Honnery
@cjhonnery
December 9, 2020 - 11:29AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Despite not playing a game during this year’s Origin series, Maroons squad member Josh Kerr has been awarded the prestigious FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award.

The 24-year-old Redcliffe product now becomes part of an elite group of players, including Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater and Darren Lockyer, who have received the award in past years.

It comes as Maroons debutant Jake Friend took out the Ron McAuliffe Medal for players’ player for his efforts during Queensland’s miraculous 2020 series win.

The Peter Jackson Memorial Award is traditionally handed to the player who epitomises the “Queenslander spirit” and Kerr admitted he was left “gobsmacked” to even be considered.

The prop forward was made aware of the achievement on Wednesday when told by head coach Wayne Bennett over the phone.

“I thought he was joking,” Kerr said.

“I didn’t really believe him.

“I didn’t play obviously so I didn’t think I was going to win anything.

“It’s pretty bloody special.”

Kerr admits he was happy to even be considered since he didn’t play an Origin game in 2020. Picture: Nigel Hallett.
He said being part of Camp Maroon this year had fuelled the fire to play for Queensland next year.

“To just be included and my name be tossed up and thought about, for me to be a part of that camp was just something special,” he said.

“I want to play.

“I want to be part of that winning feeling and that winning team and to be part of that young culture that’s coming through and that new dynasty that we’re going to create ourselves.”

Bennett praised both Kerr and Friend for their attitude during the Origin camp.

“Josh brought an enormous amount of passion and energy to our camp,” Bennett said.

“The restrictions while in the bubble were tough at times and Josh was always there to lift everyone around him.

“His spirit epitomised what Peter (Jackson) was all about.

“He put everything into training and regularly spoke to the group about how much the opportunity meant to him and his family

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...rj2P-kxMrSmI_zPB3rgblE7Vz1N7rSIVTAgmqW8KzzUCk
Well done Josh.
Great to see that he's a good trainer.

Well done Josh.
Great to see that he's a good trainer.

Now let’s see if the Origin campaign for him gets him going.
He has the potential to be great, big, strong, has speed. Needs to show this consistently now and be a leader of the pack and not just making up the numbers.
If Kerr has a cracking year our front row is actually looking pretty good. It’s the back row that looks light.
Well Done Josh.

possm

Coach
He has the potential to be great, big, strong, has speed. Needs to show this consistently now and be a leader of the pack and not just making up the numbers.
If Kerr has a cracking year our front row is actually looking pretty good. It’s the back row that looks light.
Well Done Josh.
Kerr has now got a real coach who will challenge him, help him and continue to do so all season long. I expect him and Blaccker to really do well in 2021. If Griffin is confident in make this happen, then yes we will have great depth in our front row which is really important given that this part of the engine room is where fatigue strikes most.

If De Belin returns I do feel we will be OK in that area in 2021:

Sims
Bird
De Belin
Ford
Merrin
H Lomax

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Well Done Josh.
Boy do we need him to have a big year..

Gareth67

First Grade
The big fella merely requires a good dose of confidence , whatever he had when he came into the top grade was quickly extinguished by our outgoing maestro - Griffin shall replace it and more .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I hope that Josh has a huge year and becomes a starter for SOO in 2021. Until now he has looked so so to me. Never seen a ‘big game’ from him. I watch JWH and Asofa S etc and Josh looks way behind those top rating front rowers.
Hoping somehow this will be the break out year?
Griffin will fire him up, just wait and see.

getsmarty

Immortal
kerrj-201026_sd_01.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Kerr recognised for Queensland Origin contribution
Author
Jorja Brinums & Michael Hillier
Timestamp
Wed 9 Dec 2020, 09:38 AM

After playing leading roles for the Queensland Maroons throughout the 2020 series, the epic efforts of both Jake Friend and Josh Kerr have been officially acknowledged by the Maroons inner sanctum.

Coach Wayne Bennett today announced Friend is the recipient of the Ron McAuliffe Medal for players' player, and Kerr has taken out the FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award given to a player who shows “Queensland spirit”.

Bennett called both individually and let the squad know of those chosen for the accolades.

Bennett said, at the beginning of the series, he could not believe Friend was yet to play for Queensland.

“He’s made for State of Origin, as he proved across the three games," Bennett said.

“His leadership on and off the field was invaluable for us, and I thought his performance in Game I was right up there in terms of the great Origin debuts.

“I’m just really proud of him and glad he finally got this opportunity. I’m also really pleased his efforts have been recognised by his teammates. He’s a deserved recipient of the Ron McAuliffe Medal.”

remote.axd

Friend: 'Pumped to be here and get the opportunity to put on the maroon jersey'

Friend, 30, said it was "pretty cool" to be acknowledged by his team mates.

"I didn’t expect it," Friend said, adding "but the award that you want is the one from team mates".

"It’s very humbling. I’ve always wanted to play Origin but to then have your peers vote you as player of the series is pretty cool. It’s something that I will cherish forever."

Friend said the Origin bubble helped foster a tight-knit group who ultimately got the job done for Queensland.

"It was just a good crew... no egos. Everyone just got along and got the job done, which was the best thing," Friend said.

"There were a lot of young guys who will probably be in a Maroons jersey for a long time. It was everything that I thought it would be."

Friend said the highlight for him was the decider at Suncorp.

"You dream about playing there as a kid. Listening to the anthem, standing there at Suncorp with 50,000 was pretty cool," Friend said.

Bennett had nothing but praise for FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award winner Kerr.

“The restrictions while in the bubble were tough at times and Josh was always there to lift everyone around him. His spirit epitomised what Peter (Jackson) was all about.

“He put everything into training and regularly spoke to the group about how much the opportunity meant to him and his family.”

wayne-bennett--kerrj-201118_sd_81.jpg

Wayne Bennett and Josh Kerr. Photo: NRL Images
Bennett added the other two squad members not to play, Patrick Carrigan and Hymel Hunt, were also invaluable inclusions in the bubble.

“Like Josh, they were tremendous as well over the three and half a weeks with everything they did," Bennett said.

Kerr was gobsmacked to receive the call from Bennett – a man he described as “the freaky man… an aura and superstar in the rugby league world” - about winning the award.

"I thought he was joking," Kerr said. "I didn’t really believe him. I didn’t play obviously so I didn’t think I was going to win anything. It’s pretty bloody special.”

Kerr said he would have loved to play, but it still meant everything to him to be involved in this year's series.

"I could probably talk for hours on what it means to me to be a Queenslander," Kerr said.

"They can have all the talent in the world but to be a Queenslander... I don’t know how to explain it... just the moment the boys put that jersey on and immediately they shoot up ten feet tall and play for each other.

"Being with your mates and playing for your mates and having your mates’ back... it’s such a Queensland thing. You look after your mates and play for your mates. It’s not for you… you might be hurting but you do it for your mate and that was really something that really stuck out to me in the camp.

"That’s what Wayne kept saying was going to win us the game. They have all the talent in the world, but we just have a team that’s willing to play for one another. It’s more a feeling… you can’t really describe but it’s just the feeling that you know you’re going to be okay because the person next to you has your back."

kerrj-201113_sd_11.jpg

Josh Kerr during camp. Photo: Scott Davis/QRL
Kerr said it had been “such an incredible month for me”.

“To just be included and my name be tossed up and thought about… for me to be a part of that camp was just something special,” Kerr said.

“I want to play. I want to be part of that winning feeling and that winning team and to be part of that young culture that’s coming through and that new dynasty that we’re going to create ourselves.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/10/kerr-recognised-for-queensland-origin-contribution/

Inisai Toga

Juniors
kerrj-201026_sd_01.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Kerr recognised for Queensland Origin contribution
Author
Jorja Brinums & Michael Hillier
Timestamp
Wed 9 Dec 2020, 09:38 AM

After playing leading roles for the Queensland Maroons throughout the 2020 series, the epic efforts of both Jake Friend and Josh Kerr have been officially acknowledged by the Maroons inner sanctum.

Coach Wayne Bennett today announced Friend is the recipient of the Ron McAuliffe Medal for players' player, and Kerr has taken out the FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award given to a player who shows “Queensland spirit”.

Bennett called both individually and let the squad know of those chosen for the accolades.

Bennett said, at the beginning of the series, he could not believe Friend was yet to play for Queensland.

“He’s made for State of Origin, as he proved across the three games," Bennett said.

“His leadership on and off the field was invaluable for us, and I thought his performance in Game I was right up there in terms of the great Origin debuts.

“I’m just really proud of him and glad he finally got this opportunity. I’m also really pleased his efforts have been recognised by his teammates. He’s a deserved recipient of the Ron McAuliffe Medal.”

remote.axd

Friend, 30, said it was "pretty cool" to be acknowledged by his team mates.

"I didn’t expect it," Friend said, adding "but the award that you want is the one from team mates".

"It’s very humbling. I’ve always wanted to play Origin but to then have your peers vote you as player of the series is pretty cool. It’s something that I will cherish forever."

Friend said the Origin bubble helped foster a tight-knit group who ultimately got the job done for Queensland.

"It was just a good crew... no egos. Everyone just got along and got the job done, which was the best thing," Friend said.

"There were a lot of young guys who will probably be in a Maroons jersey for a long time. It was everything that I thought it would be."

Friend said the highlight for him was the decider at Suncorp.

"You dream about playing there as a kid. Listening to the anthem, standing there at Suncorp with 50,000 was pretty cool," Friend said.

Bennett had nothing but praise for FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award winner Kerr.

“The restrictions while in the bubble were tough at times and Josh was always there to lift everyone around him. His spirit epitomised what Peter (Jackson) was all about.

“He put everything into training and regularly spoke to the group about how much the opportunity meant to him and his family.”

wayne-bennett--kerrj-201118_sd_81.jpg

Wayne Bennett and Josh Kerr. Photo: NRL Images
Bennett added the other two squad members not to play, Patrick Carrigan and Hymel Hunt, were also invaluable inclusions in the bubble.

“Like Josh, they were tremendous as well over the three and half a weeks with everything they did," Bennett said.

Kerr was gobsmacked to receive the call from Bennett – a man he described as “the freaky man… an aura and superstar in the rugby league world” - about winning the award.

"I thought he was joking," Kerr said. "I didn’t really believe him. I didn’t play obviously so I didn’t think I was going to win anything. It’s pretty bloody special.”

Kerr said he would have loved to play, but it still meant everything to him to be involved in this year's series.

"I could probably talk for hours on what it means to me to be a Queenslander," Kerr said.

"They can have all the talent in the world but to be a Queenslander... I don’t know how to explain it... just the moment the boys put that jersey on and immediately they shoot up ten feet tall and play for each other.

"Being with your mates and playing for your mates and having your mates’ back... it’s such a Queensland thing. You look after your mates and play for your mates. It’s not for you… you might be hurting but you do it for your mate and that was really something that really stuck out to me in the camp.

"That’s what Wayne kept saying was going to win us the game. They have all the talent in the world, but we just have a team that’s willing to play for one another. It’s more a feeling… you can’t really describe but it’s just the feeling that you know you’re going to be okay because the person next to you has your back."

kerrj-201113_sd_11.jpg

Josh Kerr during camp. Photo: Scott Davis/QRL
Kerr said it had been “such an incredible month for me”.

“To just be included and my name be tossed up and thought about… for me to be a part of that camp was just something special,” Kerr said.

“I want to play. I want to be part of that winning feeling and that winning team and to be part of that young culture that’s coming through and that new dynasty that we’re going to create ourselves.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/10/kerr-recognised-for-queensland-origin-contribution/
..” Just a Qld thing (having your mates back).........mmm...; well, I hope it turns into a ‘Dragon’s thing’..., quickly!

Latest posts