What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

morley101

Juniors
It doesn't. Sadly NRL clubs cant get enough fans to games for anywhere to be spending $800mill plus on rectangular stadiums. No State govt in its right mind is going to spend that sort of money for a stadium that is only needed once or twice a year. at best. All the other stuff like concerts etc work perfectly fine at the expensive oval stadiums they have already built.

GF venues should have a min 50k capacity, oval or rectangular is a mute point. It limits where might bid but if you go smaller you are starting to look like a minority sport and will lock out so many fans that it isnt worth the State govt bidding big for it as there wont be enough sports tourists coming.

The Government will not upgrade stadiums with only 11 days of use... Grounds will need to be shared with other teams or other codes that can also "fill" the stadium.

The GF should only be played in Auckland, Brisbane and Sydney. Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth don't have the player and supporter base to justify having a GF at the expense of cities that actually care about the game. There has to be some reward for cities who've built the game up to where it is today over 100 years of loyal support.

The only reason the fumbleflag was played in RL territory at the Gabba is because Palaszczyk bent over backwards for AwFuL.

The AOC said Brisbane will be the next city to bid for the Olympics, in 2032. Palaszczyk is firmly behind the bid. So the only city that's likely to get a brand spanking new mega rectangular stadium within the next 15 years is Brisbane. It'll probably be based in the south-east at Nathan, where QEII Stadium is located. A great place for Brisbane Firehawks to play their games.

The Government will not upgrade stadiums with only 11 days of use... Grounds will need to be shared with other teams or other codes that can also "fill" the stadium.

I suspect that's why WA Gov want an NRL team at Perth Oval. Its only tenants are an RU team that plays bugger all games and a soccer club. Neither club draw great crowds. I fear the WA Gov will try to milk as much money out of any NRL team that's put there, like the QLD Gov did to the Titans.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
The AOC said Brisbane will be the next city to bid for the Olympics, in 2032. Palaszczyk is firmly behind the bid. So the only city that's likely to get a brand spanking new mega rectangular stadium within the next 15 years is Brisbane. It'll probably be based in the south-east at Nathan, where QEII Stadium is located. A great place for Brisbane Firehawks to play their games.

The NRL should be doing everything to make sure it is rectangular not a multi purpose piece of junk like ANZ. So they will be going up against the AFL there.

The NRL should be doing everything to make sure it is rectangular not a multi purpose piece of junk like ANZ. So they will be going up against the AFL there.
The ARLC need to throw a bone to the Queensland Gov by agreeing to have the GF played in Brisbane at the new stadium every second year, under the agreement that it's a rectangular stadium built to the specifications of an RL field, like Lang Park but with a capacity of 80,000 and a third team to be based in Brisbane by 2030 and a 4th to be introduced by 2035 so that there's enough events at both Lang Park and QEII Stadium. 2 games a week, 1 at Lang Park and 1 at QEII Stadium, would be great for the NRL and Queensland Gov.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench

That's where the NRL needs to link with rugby union, soccer, and (if possible/feasible) concert promoters to push for rectangular stadia.

Maybe if the push can be for rectangular *roofed* grounds, you could get the concert & events lobby on board? They'd probably love more decent capacity grounds where weather is no factor.

Suitman

Post Whore
Taken 6/12/2020
Right click for full size versions.
Lower concourses and middle level deck started. (See enlarged version of pic No. 2.)

img_20201206_182733-jpg.825146

img_20201206_182700-jpg.825147

img_20201206_182648-jpg.825148

img_20201206_182646-jpg.825150

The Great Dane

First Grade
haha
you're an idiot ... you said they'd be ruled out because they don't have massive purpose built rectangle venues to hold our GF , my point & argument was they won't because they have already ALL held show piece events for our code , so why on earth would they be ruled out.
I'd say thats an argument against your ridiculous assertion LOL
Ridiculous assertion! Are you ignorant or just stupid?

There're literally dozens of examples of sports that hold minimum stadium standards for their events, whom then use the enticement of hosting said events to get investment for the stadiums and infrastructure they want/need built.
I mean multiple examples have been spoken about in this thread in the course of this discussion (NFL, Olympics, WrestleMania, etc), but I'll do you one better, I'll give you a current example of an event that governments from across Australia and NZ are promising to throw millions of dollars at in new facilities in the hope of being involved-. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/legacy-key-to-women-s-world-cup-venues-20201121-p56go9.html

Here's a pertinent quote from that article-
"We want our game to benefit from putting on such a major global showcase tournament. There is no point in us helping get investment for AFL grounds; this World Cup represents a great opportunity for football to gain not just status and publicity but real investment and a boost to the infrastructure for the game".

Here's a short list of proposed facilites/upgrades that are being talked about/are being built that are at least partly connected to the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup-

FFA bid to establish 'Home of Football' in time for 2023 World Cup
FFA backs Victorian push for $90m to establish Melbourne as Matildas home
WA football centre to be built in Perth ahead of FIFA Women's World Cup
Memorial Drive, Hindmarsh Stadium to both receive $40 million upgrades
Federal funding pledge for Gepps Cross soccer hub
TOWNSVILLE PUSHES FOR WORLD CUP HUB

Now, there's absolutely no reason why the NRL couldn't use the exact same tactics to incentivise investment in stadiums and facilities that they want built, and assuming that the GF and SOO continue to be big money spinners, there's no reason why, given time, that couldn't go so far as to seeing large purpose built rectangular stadiums built in the non-heartland states.

However for any of that to be archived it would almost certainly require the NRL to ban SOO and the GF from being played at ovals, but as Chris Nikou said 'There is no point in us helping get investment for AFL grounds'.

Heisenberg

Juniors
Great Dane, I 100% agree with you in principle. I’d love for the NRL to have this much control. Extend it to jerseys sponsors size limits etc.
The reality is that they simply do not have that much clout. As much as we all love the game, the NRL is not in the same ballpark as FIFA, World Rugby, IOC et al.

Great Dane, I 100% agree with you in principle. I’d love for the NRL to have this much control. Extend it to jerseys sponsors size limits etc.
The reality is that they simply do not have that much clout. As much as we all love the game, the NRL is not in the same ballpark as FIFA, World Rugby, IOC et al.

I think thats what myself & others have been trying to tell him , its just deluded, pie in the sky , leprechaun's & yetti stuff hes been advocating. Our best chance to have 8 large world class rectangle venues built around the country was if we'd secured the 2022 soccer world cup. We didn't , chance gone in our lifetime.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You're basically making an argument of scale, saying we can't do it as big as them therefore we shouldn't even try.

That's like saying we shouldn't invest in real estate because we can only afford an apartment while that guy over there can afford whole blocks of apartments. But just like the property tycoon started with an investment property and built from there, FIFA, the NFL, etc, all started out with a little bit of clout and built it into a lot of clout.

Besides the AFL has all the clout that an organisation could ever need. They get pretty much everything they want to go their way nation wide, they even limit sponsorships on their "guernseys", and they aren't a huge multinational organisation that is outside of the NRL's reach.

If the NRL started swinging their dicks around like the AFL, or even just stopped taking it lying down when people f**ked them, then pretty quickly, maybe in a generation or so, they'd build clout similar to the AFL's.

Reactions: Vee

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think thats what myself & others have been trying to tell him , its just deluded, pie in the sky , leprechaun's & yetti stuff hes be advocating. Our best chance to have 8 large world class rectangle venues built around the country was if we'd secured the 2022 soccer world cup. We didn't , chance gone in our lifetime.
And that attitude right there is why RL is a regional sport that struggles to breakout of it's "heartlands" and Aussie Rules is taking over the whole country.

Heisenberg

Juniors
You're basically making an argument of scale, saying we can't do it as big as them therefore we shouldn't even try.

That's like saying we shouldn't invest in real estate because we can only afford an apartment while that guy over there can afford whole blocks of apartments. But just like the property tycoon started with an investment property and built from there, FIFA, the NFL, etc, all started out with a little bit of clout and built it into a lot of clout.

Besides the AFL has all the clout that an organisation could ever need. They get pretty much everything they want to go their way nation wide, they even limit sponsorships on their "guernseys", and they aren't a huge multinational organisation that is outside of the NRL's reach.

If the NRL started swinging their dicks around like the AFL, or even just stopped taking it lying down when people f**ked them, then pretty quickly, maybe in a generation or so, they'd build clout similar to the AFL's.[/

AFL had recently starting to allow more sponsors on the guernseys.

Again, I agree with everything your saying except the ‘we shouldn’t try’. I think we should be a little more realistic. But then again, this is an Internet discussion forum.

Cricket has a huge impact on AFL’s ability to get the best stadia. Also worth noting AFL is allowing more sponsors on their guernsey - sternum, above the number. Only spot they’re missing that NRL allows is sleeves, which they do not wear.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Again, I agree with everything your saying except the ‘we shouldn’t try’. I think we should be a little more realistic. But then again, this is an Internet discussion forum.

Cricket has a huge impact on AFL’s ability to get the best stadia. Also worth noting AFL is allowing more sponsors on their guernsey - sternum, above the number. Only spot they’re missing that NRL allows is sleeves, which they do not wear.
RU and Soccer could have a huge impact on the NRL's ability to get the best stadia if they worked together a bit better, and I don't see how you can say that banning big events from ovals is unrealistic.

SOO is normally the biggest sporting event in the country, the GF is the third or second biggest depending on the year and how you measure it, but normally the third biggest. Either way, that's a lot of power that governments will want a share of and we should make them work for it.

Instead of just investing it all in ovals and getting everything they want in return, or to paraphrase Mr Nikou again, if you keep allowing SOO and, hypothetically, the GF to be played at ovals, you are just ' helping get investment for AFL grounds', if you demand rectangles to host them then you force the governments to think about how they invest their money in stadiums.
They have to consider investing at least some of it into rectangles or losing the right to host SOO and the GF, and that consideration is all you need to get the ball in your court and force them to negotiate with you on at least some level.

Now that is not to say, nor have I ever claimed BTW, that that will mean that Vic, WA, SA, etc, will all suddenly invest in 60k+ state of the art rectangular stadiums straight away, but it will force them to at least consider the NRL's opinion and to negotiate with the NRL, and from that point those negotiations could build into anything give time.

azza29

Juniors
They have to consider investing at least some of it into rectangles or losing the right to host SOO and the GF, and that consideration is all you need to get the ball in your court and force them to negotiate with you on at least some level.
I like your optimism but I doubt Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth will ever build a dedicated 50k+ rectangular stadium for one big game every few years. And for all the talk of Marvel/Optus being "multi-purpose" that is just marketing, must be a decade since they last rolled out Marvel's lower deck for soccer or rugby.

The allure of ovals is that they can be used year-round, AFL in winter, cricket in summer, and the occasional rectangular sport in a pinch. Even NZ has stuck with Eden Park's weird shape despite union's massive popularity there. With the ANZ redevelopment canned indefinitely, Suncorp will probably remain our largest rectangular ground for some time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
RU and Soccer could have a huge impact on the NRL's ability to get the best stadia if they worked together a bit better, and I don't see how you can say that banning big events from ovals is unrealistic.

SOO is normally the biggest sporting event in the country, the GF is the third or second biggest depending on the year and how you measure it, but normally the third biggest. Either way, that's a lot of power that governments will want a share of and we should make them work for it.

Instead of just investing it all in ovals and getting everything they want in return, or to paraphrase Mr Nikou again, if you keep allowing SOO and, hypothetically, the GF to be played at ovals, you are just ' helping get investment for AFL grounds', if you demand rectangles to host them then you force the governments to think about how they invest their money in stadiums.

Now that is not to say, nor have I ever claimed BTW, that that will mean that Vic, WA, SA, etc, will all suddenly invest in 60k+ state of the art rectangular stadiums straight away, but it will force them to at least consider the NRL's opinion and to negotiate with the NRL, and from that point those negotiations could build into anything give time.

It'd actually be much more valuable, and may already be happening, if the NRL used these events to negotiate better outcomes for RL in that state. For example offer WA Govt 2 GF's and 3 SOO's over a 10 year period and in return ask from HBF Park to be finished and turned into a high quality 30k stadium. Same for Adelaide. Vic is sorted stadium wise so go hard for grass roots funding for the game there. That would have much better outcomes for RL than a 60k rectangular white elephant that rarely gets used.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like your optimism but I doubt Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth will ever build a dedicated 50k+ rectangular stadium for one big game every few years. And for all the talk of Marvel/Optus being "multi-purpose" that is just marketing, must be a decade since they last rolled out Marvel's lower deck for soccer or rugby.

The allure of ovals is that they can be used year-round, AFL in winter, cricket in summer, and the occasional rectangular sport in a pinch. Even NZ has stuck with Eden Park's weird shape despite union's massive popularity there. With the ANZ redevelopment canned indefinitely, Suncorp will probably remain our largest rectangular ground for some time.

Not to mention actual need. Sadly RL doesn't draw 50k crowds other than to marquee events. The game doesn't need 60k stadiums it needs lots of Bankwests. AFL and cricket fills grounds so you can justify spending $1bill on a 60k stadium when its actually being utilised by 2 codes filling it regularly.