What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rules good or bad for the Dragons?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The NRL has introduced 8 new rules for the 2021 season:

The changes are:

• the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out;
  • six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements;
  • penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls "break";
  • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline;
  • The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light;
  • injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped;
  • when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt;
  • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot.
Speed of the game has become the new mantra.
For us, agility, speed and nouse are the key elements. No more lazy lumps. Fitness to endure a whole season will test many teams, especially those top heavy.

Your thoughts?

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/11/nrl-announces-eight-rule-changes/

jeffdragon

Bench
Usually affects us in the wrong way.
Didn't get used to new rules this year.
We were rubbish.
The rule where the play the ball will affect a player who is not ours .
Andrew Fifita will have to turn the ball over every time he tries to play ,
the ball.:grinning:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Surprised they didn’t implement line outs for when the ball goes out of play.....

Dragon David

First Grade

The changes are:

• the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out;
  • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline;
  • The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light;
  • when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt;
  • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot.
For us, agility, speed and nouse are the key elements. No more lazy lumps. Fitness to endure a whole season will test many teams, especially those top heavy.

Your thoughts?

The eighth point will be interesting for the Knights. Tyson Frizell just takes the cake for not playing the ball correctly in my opinion and the Knights will need to get him to practise this at training.

Griffin needs to discuss in detail all of these new rules with the other coaches and make sure the players understand them to the letter. We failed last season with the 6 again rule so focus guys and know the rules backwards.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm happy with the new rules, will make for a better spectacle.The tradition was done away with years ago and with money taking over the spot. May as well evolve it. As to whether it is good o bad for us, I think that is very much determined by Anthony Griffin.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The field goal rule won’t help Hunt who’s never kicked one I believe or maybe one at best but certainly not a match winner. Soward will have some work cutout for him. I do like the rule personally though.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

The changes are:

Your thoughts?

I like the two point field goal. It could present a better option to teams than grubbers and bombs depending on the state of the game; could be interesting and may see some great goals. Similarly, the play the ball is good one, hate the casualness associated with the play the ball. On the other side not mad on captain challenge before or now, or the six again thought there was too many blow out scores and soft tries.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Our game should be all about trys! That's what the crowd comes to see.
Increasing the value of a field goal has the potential to make RL more "kick" oriented, i.e. not running oriented. That IMO is a mistake.
Make a try worth more is a better option.

As for how the new rules will affect Saints, means (maybe) giving referees (even) more opportunities to rule against us,, is a worry.
The new coach will have to enforce a very very disciplined side which in the last few years hasn't been a SGI strength.

Anyway,, bring it on. cant wait!!

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Rule Changes, as listed from Dragonslayers, post.

• the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements;
  • The game is about scoring, its not rugby ........ Not a fan of this rule.
  • Just another opportunity for the ref to make a game changing decision .....Not a fan of this rule.
  • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline; ............. ok

• The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light;...................ok
  • injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped;.........ok
  • Another dumb rule .......... Melbourne / Smith, will call for everything, to slow play.
  • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot.........ok.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of these rules I'm a bit mmmm about:

The 2 point fg - well it could go the same as the 20/40 rule. I could only see teams using it in the last seconds of a game.

Kicks over the sideline - has its merits but to me takes away the halves controlling a game, strategically kicking to touch. JT would have had nightmares!

The penalty from 'breaking' from the scrum, not sure if it is a differential penalty or can kick for goal.

The rest I'm ok with.

I would have liked to see:
Genuine fg attempts not attract a 7 tackle set, and
Limit the amoubt of time a trainer is on the field. Alfie, for example spends the majority of the game just about as a controlling half.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Our game should be all about trys! That's what the crowd comes to see.
Increasing the value of a field goal has the potential to make RL more "kick" oriented, i.e. not running oriented. That IMO is a mistake.
Make a try worth more is a better option.

As for how the new rules will affect Saints, means (maybe) giving referees (even) more opportunities to rule against us,, is a worry.
The new coach will have to enforce a very very disciplined side which in the last few years hasn't been a SGI strength.

Anyway,, bring it on. cant wait!!
As you say, If they made a try worth more from a non kicks I’d agree with. Currently, there are too many kick- related try’s in the game; its nearly our only weapon to score close to our line. It may however result in less Golden Point games which I personally wouldn’t mind.

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench
Not to fussed about rule changes as they will be abused. I'd prefer to see coaches use their coaching abilities to win.

For the Dragons, at lest Griffin has the ability to do both.

epDragon62

First Grade
The two-point field goal rule might have an interesting dynamic about it if a team tries to win the game with the kick but it doesn't go out, there could be tries or meterage gained by the other team.

Like all rule changes there can be unexpected outcomes ... happy to try these as long as the NRL is prepared to accept failed rule changes and abandon them.

Latest posts