What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
  • the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out; Outside the occasional guy with a decent boot, reckon this will only come up once every few years
  • six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements; as long as they willing to bin players for constant infringement
  • penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls "break"; wasn’t this always a penalty? Will they penalise incorrect feeds then as well?
  • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline; so if it’s kicked over? Could we see rugger style quick restarts if they get the ball back quick enough?
  • The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light; why bother having refs?
  • injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped; great change. The only reason injury should stop play (except if it’s the ball carrier) are HIAs and Oates type injuries where the player needs to be taken off anyway. If Scum want play stopped because their winger has a cramp then they can cop it
  • when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt; depends on what they classify as inconclusive but if video can’t see the ball or whatever yeah I think it’s a bit harsh
  • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot. Reckon we’ll either see a shit ton called or none. Good thing Mannah retired

New rules again hey......
Someone give me an update as I can't be bothered trying to keep up.

Incorrect

Coach
Regarding the 6 again instead of a penalty for teams being offside, is there discretion for the referee to still blow a penalty for repeated infringements does anyone know?

Because, let's say you're up by 1 point in the dying minutes, if it's going to keep being 6 again, will teams just back themselves to hold the opposition out and keep creeping up offside? If there's no penalty then there's no chance for the opposition to kick a penalty goal and go up by 1 point...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So more of the same really
Worse. At the moment they give him a shove and then pat each other on the back. After this rule change the pats on the back will be replaced by aggressive attempts to get the ball off the tackled player. Like for handovers on the last.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Regarding the 6 again instead of a penalty for teams being offside, is there discretion for the referee to still blow a penalty for repeated infringements does anyone know?

Because, let's say you're up by 1 point in the dying minutes, if it's going to keep being 6 again, will teams just back themselves to hold the opposition out and keep creeping up offside? If there's no penalty then there's no chance for the opposition to kick a penalty goal and go up by 1 point...
I'm sure there will always be the option for the referee to award penalties and sin bins for deliberate cheating.

I like the two point field goal. At least if a team is behind by two in the final minutes, it gives hope of leveling the game adding to the excitement.

Yeh, I agree. Can't see a problem with it. The field goal was worth 2 points til the late 60s (and a try was worth 3), and then Souths had Eric Simms slotting over FGs all day so they changed the rules. It's not as if teams are going to base their game around 40 metre+ FGs.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I like the two point field goal. At least if a team is behind by two in the final minutes, it gives hope of leveling the game adding to the excitement.

Okay let’s make tries 10 points if they are scored from over the 50m line as well?

I’m all for tweaking rules to enhance the game, things like this just though come off as cheap and gimmicky imo

Okay let’s make tries 10 points if they are scored from over the 50m line as well?

I’m all for tweaking rules to enhance the game, things like this just though come off as cheap and gimmicky imo

LIke the 40/20 rule?

I reckon that it gives the defense something else to think about in certain situations, regardless of whether teams actually attempt the long-range FG. I see absolutely no harm in trying this out. Most likely it will be close to irrelevant, but I really don't see any harm in trying.

• The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light; why bother having refs?

I don't think this is too much of a change except that if they ref sends it upstairs as a Try then the kicker will start lining up while the replay goes on. If it goes up as a No Try then everyone will stand around and watch the screen.

Noise

Coach
I like the stripping rule. We just happen to be shit at taking advantage of it. I also like strippers.