What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

The fallout will be zero.
Players will be transfer to his brother who is now part of Cove Agency and Isaac will pull the strings.

Yes tend to agree however dependant on individual contract clauses there could be a minority that could view this as a chance for an amended contract.
I think u will be correct though.

Gareth67

First Grade
The fallout will be zero.
Players will be transfer to his brother who is now part of Cove Agency and Isaac will pull the strings.

The mongrels always have another card up their sleeve . If the players possess an ounce of common sense , then they must realize that they would be better off under another manager , not this snake oil salesmen .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Now I am concerned- that’s 3 out of 3 that we were definitely interested in , but each have gone elsewhere , are there anymore that we are having discussions with I wonder ?

I was hoping that there would be one other addition to our pack , that would really give it some starch , but there couldn’t be many decent forwards available now .

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Now I am concerned- that’s 3 out of 3 that we were definitely interested in , but each have gone elsewhere , are there anymore that we are having discussions with I wonder ?

I was hoping that there would be one other addition to our pack , that would really give it some starch , but there couldn’t be many decent forwards available now .

G67,

I'm hearing you and its got me thinking.
Maybe, we just aren't offering paying overs anymore.
As Hook has said, "We only want those who really want to be here."

Another theory could be, word on the street may be that Hook could be hard to play for but in saying that, l don't mind. I'm really glad at this point that we have a tough coach who won't take any crap.
Its the complete opposite of where we were.

After reading many posts on the forum of late, its very refreshing to feel the good vibe that we fans have since the arrival of a real coach.

Crush

Coach
G67,

Another theory could be, word on the street may be that Hook could be hard to play for but in saying that, l don't mind. I'm really glad at this point that we have a tough coach who won't take any crap.

After reading many posts on the forum of late, its very refreshing to feel the good vibe that we fans have since the arrival of a real coach.
I think the reality is that the teams down the bottom half of the ladder (SGI) have to pay overs to begin with.
No point digging your heals in and saying no overs if nobody comes and you are anchored to the bottom of the table year after year.

With our current squad if they all play to potential we are a bottom 8 team. If they play below potential (Hunt, Norman) we are spooners.
We NEED to sign a couple of quality forwards IMO. Who have we signed to replace Frizzell? JDB? Graham?

BLM01

First Grade
G67,

I agree and think about it.
What have we really missed out on in respect to those players who have been fringe at best lately!
However we do need to sign 3-4 more before kick off to make 29 in the NRL squad..
Some promoted within I would suggest.

BLM01

First Grade
I think the reality is that the teams down the bottom half of the ladder (SGI) have to pay overs to begin with.
No point digging your heals in and saying no overs if nobody comes and you are anchored to the bottom of the table year after year.

With our current squad if they all play to potential we are a bottom 8 team. If they play below potential (Hunt, Norman) we are spooners.
We NEED to sign a couple of quality forwards IMO. Who have we signed to replace Frizzell? JDB? Graham?
As Hook said. You go to plan B!
Start looking at players that want to break maybe their last year of their contract as you say if they worth offering more $$$ taking a punt that they may not have reached their potential yet and are not getting a start in run on side regularly
e.g. some like Rudolf, Kama? big Fijian from the Storm, Joliffe at the Titans, Guler at the Raiders and there is more like that. We tried Musgrave but have not seen him play much yet so no loss.

jeffdragon

Bench

Yes agree, who is left not many I reckon.

Gareth67

First Grade
I was not attempting to turn us all into a bunch of nervous nellies and suggest that we will not improve upon the Mary years by going into 2021 with our current squad .

Far from it , quite simply making the point that most forwards on the market have now been locked up by rival clubs , therefore the bottom of the barrel is empty - or is it ? I don’t know , is there still a chance of signing one more forward of substance before the new season kicks off ?

The fact that the Dragons made a late - a very late play for John Asiata - whom was already contemplating signing with the Broncos , suggest to me that it was made out of desperation . Hopefully a signing may come eventually , but if not then we will have no choice but to truly hope that Griffin can get the very best out of an aging Simms , Merrin and company.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I agree and think about it.
What have we really missed out on in respect to those players who have been fringe at best lately!
However we do need to sign 3-4 more before kick off to make 29 in the NRL squad..
Some promoted within I would suggest.
Agree, of all the names put forward over the last 2 months there’s not one that I can say I really feel disappointed that we didn’t sign. In fact quite the opposite. That’s not to say I don’t think we need an addition to our pack, just don’t think there much quality in the ‘visible’ market.

Kylez3

Juniors
I was not attempting to turn us all into a bunch of nervous nellies and suggest that we will not improve upon the Mary years by going into 2021 with our current squad .

Far from it , quite simply making the point that most forwards on the market have now been locked up by rival clubs , therefore the bottom of the barrel is empty - or is it ? I don’t know , is there still a chance of signing one more forward of substance before the new season kicks off ?

The fact that the Dragons made a late - a very late play for John Asiata - whom was already contemplating signing with the Broncos , suggest to me that it was made out of desperation . Hopefully the signing may come eventually , but if not then we will have no choice but to truly hope that Griffin can get the very best out of an aging Simms , Merrin and company.

They probably made a late play at Asisata because De Belin has to undertake a re-trial.

getsmarty

Immortal

Not correct.... Joe O ..we pulled the pin....Musgrove not fussed...similar to Joe O

Only one we missed was C .Welch and that was because the Board were to slow to appoint a new coach...

There is more to it...leaks to media etc....@Dragons-4Life has posted a pertinent bit of info in J.A , which will join the dots.

Take a Deep Breath and relax....

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Not correct.... Joe O ..we pulled the pin....Musgrove not fussed...similar to Joe O

Only one we missed was C .Welch and that was because the Board were to slow to appoint a new coach...

There is more to it...leaks to media etc....@Dragons-4Life has posted a pertinent bit of info in J.A , which will join the dots.

Take a Deep Breath and relax....
Are you able to post D4L comment in this thread??

getsmarty

Immortal
Are you able to post D4L comment in this thread??

In a nutshell....player managers leaking to media in regards to us and getting more money for their clients...this used to work for them in the past...not any more. In other words we are no longer "pushovers "....

P.S I understand I post many articles here...doesn't mean that they are correct or that I believe in them ....

Ask yourself this question....If the source involved in the article is not directly quoted, then where has the information come from ?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
In a nutshell....player managers leaking to media in regards to us and getting more money for their clients...this used to work for them in the past...not any more. In other words we are no longer "pushovers "....

P.S I understand I post many articles here...doesn't mean that they are correct or that I believe in them ....

Ask yourself this question....If the source involved in the article is not directly quoted, then where has the information come from ?
It's good that Griffin is taking a hard stand with signings in that he is not wanting to pay overs for a player. Quotes of us going for players that are "staged" by player managers to increase the value of a player will be a thing of the past.

redv13

Bench

Cheers. I can see both sides of the fence. If we panic buy like we have in the past and pay overs then we’re stuck in the same salary cap mess we have over the last few years. If we dig our heels in ( not bad either ) and not pander to these managers then we miss out on signings.

I’d prefer that we struggle a bit and have the cash to go after the big guns then sign average Joe Willy nilly and stay in the same rut

Latest posts