What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News 2021 NRL rule changes

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I like the injury rule though, watch the amount of "crusher" tackle victims. Was gretting to a point where a player would stay down as of a piano had been dropped on the back of their neck when all the defender dod was breathe heavily on him

Knight76

Juniors
I like the injury rule though, watch the amount of "crusher" tackle victims. Was gretting to a point where a player would stay down as of a piano had been dropped on the back of their neck when all the defender dod was breathe heavily on him

The crusher tackle thing was a complete farce. I thought with the crusher getting cracked down on, players getting suspended for it there may have been some kind of professional courtesy happen where we saw less crusher staying down. But nope, continued.

As for the rule changes, the 2 point FG I doubt we will see many, if any. It's only going to be attempted in last gasp desperation at the very end of a game and I can't see it being successful.

Breaking from scrums early, meh, if they want to improve scrums as a contest make the half feed the ball in to the middle. If we are just going to have the same blatant cheating at the scrum, may as well get rid of them completely. Not that I am in favor of that.

Player going off if game is stopped is great. Ref needs to tell those miraculously needing treatment when defending right on their line, to go straight out the back and get treatment there. There will still be a breather though for the D, as the player/trainer stuff around, the coach gets to decide if to interchange etc. But will hopefully be quicker to get back to the play.

The 6 again for offside is one of the stupidest ideas I've seen. This is supposed to discourage teams from infringing close to their line. But will encourage it with seconds left on the clock and no chance of shot at goal if a team trails by 2. Maybe allow captains call for this rule to elect for two point attempt

Knight76

Juniors
Oh, and penalising a team for having the skill to kick the ball downfield and have it roll out just in touch is insanity. Where this used to be applauded for the skill, your going to see the winger letting it roll out on purpose, quickly pick it up and pass it in to the centre or run it in for a quick tap and charge, against a defence that is bolting down to try and get some sort of line structure happening. Simple, just don't kick for touch any more ever, no reward for doing so unless 40/20, but big penalty if you miss.

I get this is all about speeding up the game, but how fast do we want it to be ffs? The game is moving away from skill and more towards fitness being the deciding factor. Eventually, we will have a team of all exactly the same sized fitness fanatics playing the game.

BadnMean

Juniors
Was any fans here team involved in the matches that trialled the play the ball after kick for touch last season? Apparently it was trialled.

Is there an obligation to wait for the other side to provide a marker?

Can the play the ball occur anywhere along the line where the ball went out or does it have to be 10m in from touch? Middle of the field?

I assume you can't tap & go because that went out of the game a decade ago at least.

I'd love to see a winger & FB try to do a fast one, play it incorrectly & get pinged, handing the ptb back to the other side. It WILL happen at some point... who'll be first?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If you are on the last play at around halway or over and the halftime hooter has sounded or will in a few seconds than why not have a shot at 2?

Oh, and penalising a team for having the skill to kick the ball downfield and have it roll out just in touch is insanity. Where this used to be applauded for the skill, your going to see the winger letting it roll out on purpose, quickly pick it up and pass it in to the centre or run it in for a quick tap and charge, against a defence that is bolting down to try and get some sort of line structure happening. Simple, just don't kick for touch any more ever, no reward for doing so unless 40/20, but big penalty if you miss.

I get this is all about speeding up the game, but how fast do we want it to be ffs? The game is moving away from skill and more towards fitness being the deciding factor. Eventually, we will have a team of all exactly the same sized fitness fanatics playing the game.

I may be wrong, but surely the whole team needs to be behind the ball before they can tap/play it. This just stops players walking to scrums and ready to use every second before they pack it.

lazza

Juniors
If I were a side down by 2 outside the 40m, I'd be shaping to kick the FG and draw the defence out of the line, only to run it straight up the middle.

Strategically it creates more variables in attack and defence. Whether our coaches take advantage of it, IDK.

this is the only reason why I don’t mind it.

they don’t seem to have gone down the player welfare much like crushers but rather just tire the shit out of the players so they don’t bother doing that crap.

Bunker reviews for every try is going to slow it down. So a try that's an overlap where the winger scores easily is going to have to be reviewed.

The 2 point field goals is going to make coaches try and poach union kickers now. They slot them from 50. The english/south Africans will be raided it's how half of their points are scored in Union. Next will be 3 point penalty kicks from outside the 40.
they slot them from 50 with a gilbert ... a steeden is much harder to control from over 40m out

unforgiven

Bench
Looking forward to more field goal attempts and more video reviews, said no RL fan ever!

only change I like is getting rid of scrums, getting rid altogether to move us away from union can only be a good thing.
Biggest issue I have is significantly changing rules of a game that’s supposed to be an international sport. Any major change be should have to be ratified internationally and adopted at all levels everywhere. We are on the path of nrl ending up a different game to rugby league.

That has happened in the last 110 years of both competitions adopting their own rules?

unforgiven

Bench
Anyone know how many successful 40m field goal attempts we've had in any period of last 20 years?

I feel its just a publicity stunt almost. Gets everyone riled up and talking in the off season, gearing up and tuning in next year to shit can it and it won't even happen just like 20/40.

I bet every coach they asked said "no one will ever use that" and they went "perfect, its in."

Should these be worth 3?

T-Boon

Coach
Does anyone disagree with the organisation known as the '5/11 society' who claim that the game would be a lot better if it went to 11 aside and went back to a 5 metre rule?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Thoughts

2 point field goal is silly and probably pointless but I'll have a good chuckle if one team (and only one team) has someone who can nail them and they spam them to a premiership. Getting 2 points and the ball back off the kick off is probably better than the typical option 40m out but harder to pull off. So if one player can kick them at a good enough percentage it will be interesting.

The tap for the ball going into touch is an interesting change but the team taking the tap will need to be behind the ball I assume so it's not as drastic as suggested in here.

The ptb long over due. I just worry it's not going to be pinged consistently. Still big papa better get practicing.

So it's a mixed bag for me between probably useless, silly and good. 10m infringements being 6 again is probably what worries me the most. Let's see how it works out

Valheru

Coach
If I were souths I would have Latrell practicing field goals all off season, he has a legitimate bomb of a boot and is one player I can see nailing a few.

Latest posts