What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it were so much more economically profitable, more clubs would do it, but they don't. Further game day revenue is also generated from sponsorships. Not all sponsors have a multi-state let alone a multi-city presence, hence you take away a home game to another venue, and those sponsors will want a reimbursement of a portion of its sponsorship for the moved game in many instances.

Clubs lose $'s on memberships as they have less games to sell members, gate takings if the venue/attendance is smaller than they'd get at home, corporate sales potentially that may or not be made up at the on the road venue. As they are already largely skint no club is going to take financial risks unless it is covered by funding from the on the road location in some way. regional venues should be for trials for the most part or regular games if there is a $ to be made for the club. I doubt clubs pick up any great number of members from these games unless they commit longer term and work hard to get them like Souths did in perth.

Like the Nines in perth, nrl scheduled it sht because they already had the money in the bank from WA Govt so didnt care much about the ticket sales on the friday. I also suspect they were trying to get as big a tv audience as possible on the east coast in order to show the value of nines bundled into the next TV deals. Sht for fans but there you go, such is the quest for more $'s.

Best event we have had was the Rd 1 opener double header at Optus. Great time of year, great stadium, very well run and drew 39k to it.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As our only genuine expansion team, Melbourne should be playing all games in Melbourne every year. That is a key market and it makes no sense for them to be taking a game on the road. Leave that to the Sydney clubs that are operating in an established and oversaturated market.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I do hate them indeed you are correct but that doesn’t change the fact they are the ones that have created a link to to the area and own the netball team and are strongly linked to the QRL team.

As they have invested in the area and Melbourne already have strong support up here I do not understand why Melbourne don’t build on that support with a game that the council would pay for, as you say I hate them but I went to all six games on the Sunshine Coast.

It makes much more sense for Melbourne to play here than Souths or Cronulla, the good news is I’m annoyed I don’t get more NRL up here and there are plenty of us that want more footy so that’s a good thing for the sport.
You've gone to incredible lengths to ignore the crux of the issue - Melbourne being a one team town who are already battling for exposure (and doing a reasonable job of it to be fair too) in a city dominated by another code. Taking games away from there isn't popular among their fanbase and would be a poor move. It's absolutely on Sydney teams, where the market is saturated with games, to take games to places like the Sunshine Coast.

As someone else as suggested, it might be advantageous if the Storm were lobbied as the away side for other clubs who take games there, but expecting them to give up Melbourne games is honestly ridiculous.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don’t people buy memberships for the pets ?
Whether pet membership should or shouldn't exist aside, it's a fan parting with $$ to help support their club. How the f**k is that a bad thing?

Good to see you ignored the rest though. Maybe just admit that the basis of the questioning of both Cronulla and Manly is fair (which isn't to say they should or will move, just that they're the two best candidates)?

Would the Sunshine Coast accept a relocated Sharks team that billed itself as Sunshine Coast Sharks?

It would be hilarious if there was the Sunshine Coast Sharks and Moreton Bay Dolphins in the NRL. That's a massive local derby.

Would the Sunshine Coast accept a relocated Sharks team that billed itself as Sunshine Coast Sharks?

It would be hilarious if there was the Sunshine Coast Sharks and Moreton Bay Dolphins in the NRL. That's a massive local derby.
Selfishly I would love it but I’m not sure supporters of other clubs who live on the Sunshine Coast would support the team.
It’s a much better idea to go with a new team name and colours or link with a QRL club like Redcliffe would be doing.

Generalzod

Immortal
Whether pet membership should or shouldn't exist aside, it's a fan parting with $$ to help support their club. How the f**k is that a bad thing?

Good to see you ignored the rest though. Maybe just admit that the basis of the questioning of both Cronulla and Manly is fair (which isn't to say they should or will move, just that they're the two best candidates)?
Didn’t say it was a bad thing Timmah, I’m talking about ticketed membership, ignored what exactly Timmah...

T-Boon

Coach
Selfishly I would love it but I’m not sure supporters of other clubs who live on the Sunshine Coast would support the team.
It’s a much better idea to go with a new team name and colours or link with a QRL club like Redcliffe would be doing.

they supported the Storm ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
GROD: Why would Cronulla move from one small fanbase with an inadequate stadium, to another? that would make no sense lol.

GROD: Why would Cronulla move from one small fanbase with an inadequate stadium, to another? that would make no sense lol.
There are plans to upgrade Sunshine Coast Stadium. Put a team there and the Queensland Gov will probably throw money at it.

I reckon kids from Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay would get behind the Dolphins if the team used a name like "East Coast" and engaged with the community.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even if the planned $68mill upgrade happens (they are still $20mill short) it will still only be 16,500 capacity with ltd corporate facilities. The Qlnd govt may throw another $100mill plus at it to sort it out, they do seem more proactive in building stadiums for their teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Capacity, only 11k seats, most not covered, took me bloody half a game to get a coffee. I'm sure there are other things.

they supported the Storm ...
In part yes hence my surprise they aren’t coming back but a large part of the crowd ( just like the Titans ) were supporters of the opposition team.

So if a team was ever started on the coast it would make more sense to start a new franchise with a new name or link them to the Sunshine Coast Falcons ( QRL team )
I’m not sure a dragons or manly fan for example works support the Sunshine Coast sharks but make them a new franchise and it’s a lot easier to support the new team in the are you now call home.

Even if the planned $68mill upgrade happens (they are still $20mill short) it will still only be 16,500 capacity with ltd corporate facilities. The Qlnd govt may throw another $100mill plus at it to sort it out, they do seem more proactive in building stadiums for their teams.

16500 is more than enough to play NRL games plus the upgrade is stage one, there is plenty of room to build stands on the ends in stage two to lift the capacity to 20k

Not sure why you think it will lack corporate facilities? Will have stands on both sides and have a lot more facilities than many current teams.

Latest posts