What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who'll be SL 12th club?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It wasn’t fit for SL last year, it was allowed in, there’s a difference! How on earth do you think they can build a sustainable business model for SL playing out of that ground?

Taking The Two

Juniors
It wasn’t fit for SL last year, it was allowed in, there’s a difference! How on earth do you think they can build a sustainable business model for SL playing out of that ground?

It was fit.

I’ve no idea the finances they have available but the club is based at the one ground now, they all play and train at the one ground and the ground itself has plenty of scope to build on it, as proven by the building of the stand behind the sticks, that was built for 2019 and Broncos’ promotion, as per Super League rules.

They need to stay somewhere long term. Hopefully this is the place. There’s been a junior club started in the local area and I think they play out of Ealing RU, too, so that’s a good start to laying roots in the community.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Any links/articles etc about the Championship structure for the 12th team bid? I am sure I saw something mentioned earlier in this thread but can't find it now.

langpark

First Grade
Any links/articles etc about the Championship structure for the 12th team bid? I am sure I saw something mentioned earlier in this thread but can't find it now.
No structure change, just a 12th team will join. As far as I know, the applicants are: Barrow, Doncaster, Newcastle, Rochdale, Workington. Not sure if I missed any.

Doncaster, Newcastle and Rochdale are well ahead when it comes to the stadium. Not sure about the other criteria but I imagine it will be pretty even after that.

Tigers1986

Juniors
upload_2020-12-6_13-21-28.png

Found this through google. It's the criteria being used for the new Championship side in 2021.

Rochdale, Barrow, Doncaster, Workington Town, and Newcastle are the only eligible applicants (which langpark identified).

The decision is expected to be announced on December 10th.

So, this would in theory leave League 1 with only 10 teams next season, unless they have an influx of participants during December.

Pommy

Coach
No structure change, just a 12th team will join. As far as I know, the applicants are: Barrow, Doncaster, Newcastle, Rochdale, Workington. Not sure if I missed any.

Doncaster, Newcastle and Rochdale are well ahead when it comes to the stadium. Not sure about the other criteria but I imagine it will be pretty even after that.

If the stadium requirement is just a capacity of 2000 it doesn’t seem like it will make much difference that Craven Park for barrow is a dump.

TDD91

Juniors
I'd like to see Newcastle come up to the Championship. They do a hell of a lot for the Amateur game in the North East & always try to bring their own youth through.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leigh pop. 41k. Deary me, second smallest bid after Featherstone. Shows the ambition of Superleague I suppose.

adamkungl

Immortal
The disappointing part is the decision signals Super League's ambitions and how they view their future. That is to say: no ambition, no vision, no growth.

In practical terms though, the good news is - this is a bit of a poisoned chalice anyway. The whole process was rigged up to ensure the current 11 teams have minimal chance of being beaten.
Leigh will be pushing shit uphill to compete at the best of times let alone on half-funding.
And in the next 2 years, Toulouse and London will likely be both promoted and Super League will have no room to wiggle out of paying them properly.

taste2taste

Juniors
Imagine the NRL kicked out the NZ Warriors, turned down a strong bid from Perth, and then decided to bring in the Wentworth Magpies ...... That's exactly what the SL did :D

Absolute Joke of a competition. Let's hope the NRL buys 51% and gets it going in the right direction.

Latest posts