What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New gear

well.
thats what..7 years since the press conference
9 years since it actually happened

some hangover

fundamentally, i think we will always struggle for corporate support in the Sydney market

Craigshark

First Grade
You’d think we’d be able to jag someone when you look at all the other teams. Maybe we’re asking for too much?

Quicksilver

Bench
well.
thats what..7 years since the press conference
9 years since it actually happened

some hangover

fundamentally, i think we will always struggle for corporate support in the Sydney market

mud sticks. Especially when you’re trying to convince corporates that only care about image.

Frailty

First Grade
Why can't Dino get the Star or Accor to sponsor us?

Because even he realises they get no value from the sponsorship.

Sharks are one of the smallest clubs in the NRL, don't have significant FTA time, don't have a great reputation off the field (player behaviour and financially), and have limited popularity across the country.

It's probably likely the Sharks are over-valuing the price of sponsorship spots as well, so even smaller companies that might see benefit are priced out.

Country Shark

Juniors
Because even he realises they get no value from the sponsorship.

Sharks are one of the smallest clubs in the NRL, don't have significant FTA time, don't have a great reputation off the field (player behaviour and financially), and have limited popularity across the country.

It's probably likely the Sharks are over-valuing the price of sponsorship spots as well, so even smaller companies that might see benefit are priced out.
We are not the only club in this predicament. Melbourne Storm - the most successful club over the past 15 years struggled to obtain a sponsor at the start of last year and eventually settled on a 1 year deal just prior to comp start. Also the Bulldogs only picked up their sponsor very late in the season and whilst it can be argued they are a basket case on and off the field, they are still a huge club with a massive supporter base who has generally never struggled to attract the top end of town when it comes to sponsorship. I don't know if this is just a Sharks issue. Pretty much a tough area to attract dollars. Could be right that we price ourselves out a bit!

Frailty

First Grade
We are not the only club in this predicament. Melbourne Storm - the most successful club over the past 15 years struggled to obtain a sponsor at the start of last year and eventually settled on a 1 year deal just prior to comp start. Also the Bulldogs only picked up their sponsor very late in the season and whilst it can be argued they are a basket case on and off the field, they are still a huge club with a massive supporter base who has generally never struggled to attract the top end of town when it comes to sponsorship. I don't know if this is just a Sharks issue. Pretty much a tough area to attract dollars. Could be right that we price ourselves out a bit!

The Sharks are regularly without a main sponsor to start the season. In addition to this, we have only a sleeve sponsor. Sternum, upper back, and lower back are also blank.

Melbourne has Crown Resorts pull back sponsorship (like they did with Souths), Purplebricks went broke after 2019, and RedZed has extended for an additional two seasons.

Bulldogs spent minimal time without a major sponsor, and then signed one until the end of 2022. Rest of the sponsorships were filled.

Ads

First Grade
Not even heard a single whisper of a potential sponsor either. Hope whoever is in charge of sponsorship is on the way out.

Frailty

First Grade
Not even heard a single whisper of a potential sponsor either. Hope whoever is in charge of sponsorship is on the way out.

Can't polish a turd. How many people in charge of sponsorship before we acknowledge that the club just doesn't have a whole lot of brand value.

I know the NRL had discussed minimum sponsorship standards in 2019, however I don't know if anything came from them. It was proposed there would be a minimum value on sponsorship spots so clubs couldn't just have a cheap sponsor to fill the spot and drag down value of other clubs. If this were to commence, the Sharks would be in even bigger trouble.

Ads

First Grade
Can't polish a turd. How many people in charge of sponsorship before we acknowledge that the club just doesn't have a whole lot of brand value.

I know the NRL had discussed minimum sponsorship standards in 2019, however I don't know if anything came from them. It was proposed there would be a minimum value on sponsorship spots so clubs couldn't just have a cheap sponsor to fill the spot and drag down value of other clubs. If this were to commence, the Sharks would be in even bigger trouble.
As discussed above we have minimal sponsors. I’d cop a lack of front sponsor if the rest were full. They aren’t. That’s a huge failure by any margin. Yet another sign of apathy in the club. Standard.

fizman

Bench
Please let me share my own personal experience. I have loved and supported this Club all of my life - born in 1973.

Like most here, I have bailed on major events to watch my beloved Club.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to look at a small sponsorship package - I was thrilled and super keen.

My hope was that it would be a genuine partnership and we could gradually increase our sponsorship, even one day becoming a major partner!

I met together with the Club and worked through the details of what the agreement would look like.

Firstly, NRL contracts start on the 1st November - my view is that there is no real commercial value in the first two months of November and December unlikes you are a major sponsor where there is a press announcement.

January and February are preseason so straight off the bat, the first four months of sponsorship offer zero to minimal value.

The season kicks off in March and as has been the case for the last few years - we exit in September. - 7 months.

In realistic commercial terms a 12 month sponsorship in dollar value offers an active 7 month engagement with potential customers.

Very sadly, I couldn’t justify the investment and decided not to go ahead with the sponsorship.

There are A LOT of small to medium size businesses in the Shire. I would much prefer to see the Club look at 100 x $10,000 sponsorship packages which is far more achievable in my view.

Please let me share my own personal experience. I have loved and supported this Club all of my life - born in 1973.

Like most here, I have bailed on major events to watch my beloved Club.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to look at a small sponsorship package - I was thrilled and super keen.

My hope was that it would be a genuine partnership and we could gradually increase our sponsorship, even one day becoming a major partner!

I met together with the Club and worked through the details of what the agreement would look like.

Firstly, NRL contracts start on the 1st November - my view is that there is no real commercial value in the first two months of November and December unlikes you are a major sponsor where there is a press announcement.

January and February are preseason so straight off the bat, the first four months of sponsorship offer zero to minimal value.

The season kicks off in March and as has been the case for the last few years - we exit in September. - 7 months.

In realistic commercial terms a 12 month sponsorship in dollar value offers an active 7 month engagement with potential customers.

Very sadly, I couldn’t justify the investment and decided not to go ahead with the sponsorship.

There are A LOT of small to medium size businesses in the Shire. I would much prefer to see the Club look at 100 x $10,000 sponsorship packages which is far more achievable in my view.
Can’t see the club raising the million in sponsorship that way, the 100 sponsors would get no brand recognition as they would be lost in the other 99 sponsors.

It’s embarrassing our lack of sponsors and the turnover of those few sponsors since the good old LG days.

Are they just trying to sell a space on a jersey ? Maybe sell a concept . Sharks are from a significant historical part of Sydney, Australia for that matter They are UNMERGED. passionate Tribal following,. No diluting foreign influences. Have their own boutique stadium ,club etc. All the IT and musical talent ,just on this forum should be able to put together a more attractive package than just selling a billboard on a jersey. With current travel restrictions , trade embargos etc , surely there's scope for some company looking to sell their own products in such a framework

Weaponhead

Coach
With the current economic uncertainty, marketing budgets are under scrutiny. ROI on sponsorship is tough to measure accurately. Getting sign off on sponsorship will be tough unless the boss is huge fan and has cash to burn.