What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think there is an argument that he will do the same job wearing 8, 10 or 13. I'm not sure if all coaches still designate the 13 as the ball player.

Regardless I don't see his role changing at all in 2021. His passing game improved out of sight (Barrett probably) and as you said he was a key linchpin in our attack. We would be mad to change that.

This Jake Trbojevic plays plenty of prop still plays the same regardless. Junior Paulo at Parra does more in attack than Moses

JFH threw a few decent passes in prop

I think there is an argument that he will do the same job wearing 8, 10 or 13. I'm not sure if all coaches still designate the 13 as the ball player.

Regardless I don't see his role changing at all in 2021. His passing game improved out of sight (Barrett probably) and as you said he was a key linchpin in our attack. We would be mad to change that.

I doubt it.

Looking at the stats Yeo was far less involved in running the ball than props are.

For example. JFH averaged 17.6 runs per game in only 57 mins per game

Tamou averaged 15 runs per game in only 41 mins

Yeo averaged 13 runs per game in 70 mins per game.

Props were clearly used differently than Yeo for us in 2020. We used Yeo as a ball player in attack, not as a battering ram.

This Jake Trbojevic plays plenty of prop still plays the same regardless.

That’s not correct.

Jake Turbo only averaged 11 runs per game in 78 mins this year, that’s a lock not a prop.

Props do 11 runs per half.

There’s definitely similarities between the positions, but props are used a lot more for running the ball. Which means they’re available less for ball playing.

franklin2323

Immortal
The way Yeo played in 2020 there is. Most props don’t have his passing ability or his running.

Compare Yeo’s style at lock in 2020 to JFH in 2019. JFH played it like a 3rd prop, and he did brilliantly. But our attack needed something more, and Yeo provided it.

Junior Paulo playing prop

5 Try Assists
9 Total Try Involvements
15 runs a game
136 run metres a game
23 tackles a game

Yeo at lock

3 Try Assists
7 Total Try Involvements
13 runs a game
124 run metres a game
36 tackles a game

Props have less defence but the rest can match

betcats

Referee
Fish definitely does a bit of the passing on our back line movements similar to Yeo, but not as often and definitely not as well. Yeo actually has a bit of ball playing skill and he plays what he sees. Many times we are setup for that back line play with Yeo at first receiver and if the defence has read it and rushed Nathan Yeo spots it and dummies and goes, he throws less hospital balls then some halves in the comp and he does plenty of passing. With Fish playing lock that week Yeo was out he did the passing that Yeo does but he isnt as good at it and he does not have the ability to read and react to the defence like Yeo does. With Fish he just runs the play that was called.

Junior Paulo playing prop

5 Try Assists
9 Total Try Involvements
15 runs a game
136 run metres a game
23 tackles a game

Yeo at lock

3 Try Assists
7 Total Try Involvements
13 runs a game
124 run metres a game
36 tackles a game

Props have less defence but the rest can match

What I was talking about is ball playing in the middle of the field, linking the left side with the right. That’s not what Paulo does. (Even though he’s clearly good in attack, it mostly comes from his runs)

I’m sure Yeo can still get good stats at prop, but he won’t be playing that role of linking the attack. He’ll be too busy taking hit ups or resting on the bench.

The other consideration with Yeo playing lock is he’s our likely captain. Personally I’d prefer the captain to be on the field as much as possible, if he moves to prop he’ll play less minutes. Not a massive deal, but it’s preferable I think.

betcats

Referee
I think the odds of Yeo being moved from the starting lock spot are zero to none tbh. If they want Yeo to spend minutes at prop May or Kenny off the bench will spell him like they did this year and Yeo can shit into prop for a little stint.

chrisD

Coach
I'd say Yeo doesn't play as straight as a prop and the first forward hit up in the middle isn't generally his responsibility like a prop's. I don't think he'd be ideal in that role but the rule changes might change things.

betcats

Referee
I’m developing a real dislike for Critta.

I really cant hold it against him. I think most of us would tell our own kids to get as much as possible. Its up to the club to decide how much he is worth to us and whether to pay more than that for him.

Dont get me wrong I hate that it is happening but really most people are going after the money if they were as in demand as Critta is right now.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
As a fan, I agree - It's starting to piss me off a little

As a regular person though, I can see the want to get as much as he can in the limited window footy players have to earn.

That’s true, but why make a handshake deal with the club and then back out of it. The club made moves and decisions based on him saying yes, now all this carry on.

I don’t dislike him for going for as much cash as he can. I dislike the fact he’s caused all this drama.

betcats

Referee
The handshake deal is not a good look for him certainly. He's very religious on social media, im pretty sure jesus was a man of his word. Anyway thats about the only criticism of him I can come up with.

What really pisses me off is a poorly run club like the dogs f**ked their cap up so bad they had to just wait for 3 years for all the shit contracts to end and get rewarded with the ability to pick the best young players from clubs that actually develop kids. I'd be very happy to see them go from bad to worse next season.

Blade23

Juniors
I don’t know mate. The dodgy pages on FaceBook seem convinced.

Any word from OzTag?

Ha ha, Facebook. Is that where that shit started?

Wrong person if you think I play oztag. That is Franklin.

He hasn't signed with the Dogs. He is still yet to decide his future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts