What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast

Zadar

Juniors
How many people drive hundreds of kms to go to the footy?
It’s makes a nice story but I bet you count in the hundreds the amount that actually do, your dreaming if you think people do a 700km round trip from Mackay to Townsville.
The size of the Sunshine Coast and its rapidly growing population and economy is no issue for having regular footy, however money is and I hope that changes.

I’m one of many that I know that drive from Canberra to watch the roosters, and lots of others go and watch their respective team, I get to about 3 home games at the worst per year. Usually stay the night, but have done a few Sunday day trips return for over 600km.

I applauded that but it still would be a relatively small number that are that committed.
The cowboys are different .
About 10 years ago I tried to book 3 weeks in advance) a motel/unit ..anything for a game .
No luck .was told many times that depending on who the opponent was there was anything up to 10k visitors in town .
A lot were members from 100s kms away who basically had a permanent motel booking for Sat night games .
Just to back this up
Have a look at the drop in crowd numbers for the rare Fri nite or Sun arvo games
Down 1000s due to inability to get there in time on a fri or get home after a sun game .

big hit!

Bench
I think it would be a pretty big slap in the face to Melbourne supporters to move more games away from Melbourne than they had to.

Many of us parted with a fair amount of money, pledging our memberships back to the club. We’ve not been to a game since Sep 2019.

I understand what you’re saying, but the fact is we are the Melbourne Storm, not the Sunshine Coast Storm. It’s time to get back to normality.

Edit: I wouldn’t be opposed to a one off game up there but I don’t think it should be expected.

Being picky but the correct naming convention is they are Melbourne Storm, not THE Melbourne Storm.

Likewise with any other club in the world - unless they have happen to have THE officially in their title.

Don't we start our season a couple of weeks before AwFuL?

Melbourne should be given 2 home games at the start of the season while there's no opposition from AwFuL. It should have been done 10 years ago. The club might have more supporters, especially among kids, if they had the opportunity to launch the season each year in Melbourne.

The ARLC doesn't do much to promote the game down there.

The cowboys are different .
About 10 years ago I tried to book 3 weeks in advance) a motel/unit ..anything for a game .
No luck .was told many times that depending on who the opponent was there was anything up to 10k visitors in town .
A lot were members from 100s kms away who basically had a permanent motel booking for Sat night games .
Just to back this up
Have a look at the drop in crowd numbers for the rare Fri nite or Sun arvo games
Down 1000s due to inability to get there in time on a fri or get home after a sun game .

Indeed. If you want to watch an NRL game in Townsville at the ground and you do not live in Townsville, you book your accomodation as soon as the draw comes out. Leave it until a few weeks before the game and you may have trouble finding anything available.

Indeed. If you want to watch an NRL game in Townsville at the ground and you do not live in Townsville, you book your accomodation as soon as the draw comes out. Leave it until a few weeks before the game and you may have trouble finding anything available.
Yep only 50 hotels available currently for round 1 on a Saturday night.

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Styles clash

Juniors
10 years ago when the viewing options were Channel 9 delayed, install a Foxtel/Austar satellite dish, or wait for the evening news for 2 minutes of highlights maybe there were thousands of people driving hundreds of kilometres 12 times a year to watch the Cowboys. Now with smart phones, everyone owning a big high definition TV, Kayo, better internet with abundant pirate streams, and social media immediately tweetering clips of everything significant (and insignificant) I doubt there's more than a few hundred diedhards doing it. They're also not young anymore so the "Yay North Queensland has a team!" factor is gone.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
No worries, the big thing the coast needs is a big financial backer, unfortunately the local QRL team runs on fumes and doesn’t even have a leagues club.

I actually think the Sunshine Coast makes better sense geographically and supporter wise than the peninsula of Redcliffe but they have the cash and money talks.

I’ve said it before but I reckon it’s gonna be the Sunshine Coast Dolphins the home games will then be split between the sunny coast redcliffe and Lang park

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I’ve said it before but I reckon it’s gonna be the Sunshine Coast Dolphins the home games will then be split between the sunny coast redcliffe and Lang park
Not a fan of a club having multiple home grounds and trying to represent different areas. The intention is trying to please everybody but you end up pleasing no-one.

It needs to be an either or. You either represent Brisbane, Sunshine Coast or Redcliffe or none at all.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Not a fan of a club having multiple home grounds and trying to represent different areas. The intention is trying to please everybody but you end up pleasing no-one.

It needs to be an either or. You either represent Brisbane, Sunshine Coast or Redcliffe or none at all.

St George Illawarra dragons
Wests tigers
Ffs think about it

The Great Dane

First Grade
How come. Losing money?
The husband used to be a highflyer, but now he's a deadbeat that brings nothing to the relationship yet still demands a disproportionate say in all the families affairs.

The wife is too scared to leave the husband because she doesn't want to hurt the kids whom adore their father, but it's only a matter of time before she either finds a new man or builds up the confidence to go it alone.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
The husband used to be a highflyer, but now he's a deadbeat that brings nothing to the relationship yet still demands a disproportionate say in all the families affairs.

The wife is too scared to leave the husband because she doesn't want to hurt the kids whom adore their father, but it's only a matter of time before she either finds a new man or builds up the confidence to go it alone.
Who’s the husband and who’s the wife? lol

Latest posts