What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment vs Development; the future of the Dragons

FlameThrower

Bench
The Doggies are always boom or bust.
Of late, they've spent more time being busted and or inhouse fighting.

I'm ok with our more steady approach.
I like the foundation we've invested in. ( Hook, Gentle & Elliot )
We can expect a much improved team next season simply because of the change in coaching personnel.
Trent Barrett is going to be under immense pressure to perform next season and we all know that it takes a lot longer than 12 month shape a team.

Yes, it would be nice to add to our roster for next season but getting the existing players to play to their expect level will be like buying half a team, without the added cost.
Good point if he was rebuilding with a mix of juniors and some journeyman , he would have been given some slack. Instead they’ve gone on a spending spree, so there will be expectations of instant success...

redVinme

Juniors
Think Griffin just wants to see what value the team actually has at 100% before making rash purchases. Fair.

The list of 2021 of contract isn't even that inspiring. I just can't wait to see us play

getsmarty

Immortal
Think Griffin just wants to see what value the team actually has at 100% before making rash purchases. Fair.

The list of 2021 of contract isn't even that inspiring. I just can't wait to see us play

Correct....we have a number off contract at the end of next year...looking now....

denis preston

First Grade
Dragons & Steelers have their own Harold Matthew’s & SG Ball teams but we only have one Canterbury Cup team, the Cutters.

When you think about it it’s an enormous advantage to have double junior development systems.

Yes, but not taken advantage of, particularly the past 8 years. Illawarra obviously a lot stronger than St George but they usually pop up with a good NRL player of two as well.

possm

Coach

Attached is my list of our top 30 and their impact on our salary cap for 2021. These are not exact figures but instead my estimates only.

I have included De Belin in our top 30 for now.

Attachments

• Dragons Salary Cap.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 32

Maddragon99

Juniors
Attached is my list of our top 30 and their impact on our salary cap for 2021. These are not exact figures but instead my estimates only.

Possum do you know what Newcastle paid for Frizzle?

possm

Coach
If you cap estimates are correct we got Ellis, Alvaro & Faamausili for $550,000 that’s a pretty fair swap
I think a good mix of star players and average players with potential is what the current salary cap can legally accommodate. Frizell was our best edge forward an Origin and Australian representative. The players you mentioned aren't in his class right now. But who knows what magic Griffin and his staff can conger up.

George Dragon

Juniors

HAHA
The fact that a person thinks they know what one player is on let alone a whole squad is laughable.
I know multiple players and managers and would not even attempt it.
Lets start with the basics, you have 2 players in there that are on DP contracts of around 50k and its has its only salary cap.
Bottom 4 players are on 75k we may have used 2 or 3 of them and saved 1. So the twins are more than likely on that plus bonuses. While we are on bonuses, all earnt last year are added to this years cap so you have to allow for that.
Lomax is on no where near 500k yet.

I believe it was close to 600k

Multiple report of his contract and you cant even guess that right.

Wouldn't be good if all salary cap details were made public each year. This would certainly open the door for more honest dealings.

How so the NRL know what all contract are worth, so how does would it make for more honest dealing.
Do you think if it was public the club would reveal their brown paper bag dealings....

SBD82

Coach
HAHA
The fact that a person thinks they know what one player is on let alone a whole squad is laughable.
I know multiple players and managers and would not even attempt it.
Lets start with the basics, you have 2 players in there that are on DP contracts of around 50k and its has its only salary cap.
Bottom 4 players are on 75k we may have used 2 or 3 of them and saved 1. So the twins are more than likely on that plus bonuses. While we are on bonuses, all earnt last year are added to this years cap so you have to allow for that.
Lomax is on no where near 500k yet.

Multiple report of his contract and you cant even guess that right.

How so the NRL know what all contract are worth, so how does would it make for more honest dealing.
Do you think if it was public the club would reveal their brown paper bag dealings....
This is the sort of factual post that is going to rustle some serious jimmies around here.

True_Believer

Juniors

I don't tell my family what I earn let alone my co-workers. There's no way I can see making player salaries public would be beneficial. Again, any suggestions of doing this is purely for supporter benefit only and serves no purpose.

And as you point out @George Dragon, the NRL should already know what the contracted salary of each player is - so no benefits there. It's the "uncontracted" salaries that will never be known unless the payment structures are changed.