What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most boring/mundane NRL player sightings

Reflector

Juniors
I'm a Bartercard member and was on a Zoom group call a couple of weeks back. There were two screens of people on this call so I couldn't see everybody there when I joined. I asked how people had been keeping busy and this guys' voice says "Watching the Tigers games". Fair enough, I thought, must be a nostalgic Balmain fan. I asked the guy which games he'd been watching, and he replied he'd been watching this seasons'. I thought "Shit, you must be a diehard to want to go back and watch both Tigers games this season" but didn't say anything further.

5 minutes later they welcomed our special guest on the call: Moses Mbye.

DeeJ

Bench
I'm a Bartercard member and was on a Zoom group call a couple of weeks back. There were two screens of people on this call so I couldn't see everybody there when I joined. I asked how people had been keeping busy and this guys' voice says "Watching the Tigers games". Fair enough, I thought, must be a nostalgic Balmain fan. I asked the guy which games he'd been watching, and he replied he'd been watching this seasons'. I thought "Shit, you must be a diehard to want to go back and watch both Tigers games this season" but didn't say anything further.

5 minutes later they welcomed our special guest on the call: Moses Mbye.

Did you tell him to stay away from the QLD team this year?

Incorrect

Coach
I wonder if being frugal is a Carroll family thing? I remember reading a Tonie Carroll article in the mid 2000's about how he used to drive his wife's old Ford Laser around as she bought herself a new one and didn't see the point of getting rid of the old one.
Speaking of frugal, Gary Jack was allegedly pretty tight... Story goes that on the 1986 Kangaroo tour, sponsored by XXXX, one night Jimmy Jack and and few other players were sitting in the hotel bar of where they were staying having a few pints. Everyone had a shout and it was Jimmy's turn to get a round. Rather than go to the bar and fork out his own hard earned, Jimmy raced up to his room and came back down with the complimentary 6 pack XXXX had given each touring player and handed them out!!!

Brutus

Referee
Saw Ivan from MAFS at Paul's Famous Burgers Sylvania a couple of weekends ago.

He was a good player in his day.

Benji Magic

Juniors
U/15's QLD Footy trip back in the early 90's. We go out to Sizzler for dinner we are lining up to get in and out walks Wally Lewis with his family.

Seen many players over the years, and had the fortune to share a few drinks with many too (and sometimes too many drinks..).

Many were mundane, but more were absolutely brilliant. I’ve never met a bad apple.. although Mark Carroll once scowled at me when I offered to buy him a drink at Coogee bay when I’d bought one for John Simon too, Blues “bonding” session. But he was probably right to do so coz I was off my head after about my 13th schooner..

Most impressive I’ve met. Jarrod Saffy, Craig Fitzgibbon, Nate Myles.

I sat opposite lote tuqiri at the dumpling king or whatever the f**k it was called on Goulburn st a few years back. It was about 1am and he was there with a bird absolutely piling in to anything they’d bring out. Impressive. Massive unit and was chewing on the tsing tao’s

was in the car with Kevin Campion a while back, went thru maccas and got a SOY milk coffee, thats pretty mundane

If you ever reconvene with Kevin for that amazing voyage again, please thank him from me for his efforts in 1996 for the Dragons. Outstanding, starting the year with half a group of players, no coach, no major sponsor... we made the grand final. And he was a big reason why we got that far.

Campion >> Tallis
Campion >> Tallis x 1000

Apey

Staff member
A week ago I saw Josh Hodgson at Westfield in Newcastle. We just signed his nephew from the UK so that makes sense. Pretty rare that I ever see a non Knights player around.

Yesterday though I saw Brett Stewart walking past my local IGA. Nearly bald. merkin better not have been bringing the rona up here.

mongoose

Coach
Saw a group of Broncos at Hamilton Hotel in Brisbane a number of years ago. Corey Parker, Peter Wallace, Ben Hunt and someone else I didn't recognise...they didn't look like they wanted to be bothered but someone I was with was cousins of a player in the team and embarrassingly used it as an in to go up and talk to them lol

jim_57

Staff member
David Shillington walking through Brisbane airport by himself mid-week mid-season in Canberra team gear.

Brent Tate having lunch in an irish pub in Mackay.

Incorrect

Coach
A week ago I saw Josh Hodgson at Westfield in Newcastle. We just signed his nephew from the UK so that makes sense. Pretty rare that I ever see a non Knights player around.

Yesterday though I saw Brett Stewart walking past my local IGA. Nearly bald. merkin better not have been bringing the rona up here.
I have vague recollections that he re-located to Melbourne and opened a cafe or something...

King hit

Coach
If you ever reconvene with Kevin for that amazing voyage again, please thank him from me for his efforts in 1996 for the Dragons. Outstanding, starting the year with half a group of players, no coach, no major sponsor... we made the grand final. And he was a big reason why we got that far.

Campion >> Tallis
Campion >> Tallis x 1000
And Tallis hates Cherry Evans for back flipping on the Titans

f**king knob he is

roofromoz

First Grade
Darren Treacy getting chicken at the Greek take away place off King Street mall in Rockdale. I think he might be a local.

Sam McKendry with his family in the line behind me at Big W Narellan. Was wearing my Panthers cap but being the socially awkward person I am I tried my best to avoid eye contact as I am sure he just wanted to be left in peace and didn't want to some fan boy harassing him.

Sonny83

Juniors
saw El Masri back in the day in Rebels Sports. His side thickness from the back to chest almost same as his shoulder to shoulder.