What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

handyman2190

Bench
What is it that has you so hot for Staines?
Well he scored 4 on debut, 1 game, penrith have scrubbed mansour to get him into first grade, paulo played what 7 8 games scored twice three times and 1 wasnt a try, every time he dropped it every time he kicked it,1 kick worked, im just disappointed we cant recognise talent,even the rorters ikavalou scored 5 in 1 game, look in my estimation he bombed 4 or 5 trys, how come other teams unearth this talent, look maybe he just needs more time in the lower grades, which is why im saying we need mansour,teams dont have the luxury of someone bombing trys and not taking oportunitys. Look he probably wants a pay raise now as well.

Travitoh

First Grade
Well he scored 4 on debut, 1 game, penrith have scrubbed mansour to get him into first grade, paulo played what 7 8 games scored twice three times and 1 wasnt a try, every time he dropped it every time he kicked it,1 kick worked, im just disappointed we cant recognise talent,even the rorters ikavalou scored 5 in 1 game, look in my estimation he bombed 4 or 5 trys, how come other teams unearth this talent, look maybe he just needs more time in the lower grades, which is why im saying we need mansour,teams dont have the luxury of someone bombing trys and not taking oportunitys. Look he probably wants a pay raise now as well.

Jordan Atkins scored 4 on debut in 2008, are you big on him too? Or Dylan Farrell who had 2 hattricks in his first 4 games?

Paulo came into the side after enough players to fill a backline were out injured. I get what you're suggesting about talent coming through the pathways but it's too early to be writing off a kid who started 2020 in the development squad just because there are other debutants who had a day out.

You know who else scored four tries on debut ?........ Jordan Atkins how did he turn out???

I think If any winger was playing right wing against the sharks that day , they would of scored 4

Remember a few years back when Robert Jennings was scoring tries all day? I think that had a awful lot to do with the fact our left edge attack was the best in the comp.

handyman2190

Bench
Jordan Atkins scored 4 on debut in 2008, are you big on him too? Or Dylan Farrell who had 2 hattricks in his first 4 games?

Paulo came into the side after enough players to fill a backline were out injured. I get what you're suggesting about talent coming through the pathways but it's too early to be writing off a kid who started 2020 in the development squad just because there are other debutants who had a day out.
You make good points but in my defence i did say he probably needs more time in the lower grades, he may come good, souths obviously think so they havent cut him, i hope the cup plays next year giving youngsters a chance to hone their skills

callmack1

Staff member
We're now onto the Wingers in the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...he-wingers-in-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

Dual-International and Premiership-Winner Lote Tuqiri nominated on the Wing in the Menulog Team of the Decade: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...n-the-wing-in-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

Fan Favourite Alex Johnston is the next Winger nominated in the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-nominated-in-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

Metre-eater Dane Gagai has been nominated on the Wing for the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-the-wing-for-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

This was kind of a tough pick as they're all wonderful candidates to choose from. However, after thinking about it, it became clear. I couldn't vote for Graham because he is still super young and hasn't been around a long time. He could be the centre of this next decade but to call him the centre of the 2010's decade is a bit premature. I ruled Lote out because although his impact in 2014 was immense and e won a Premiership with us, he was only here for one Season. In regards to Gags, I just couldn't put him ahead of AJ or Merro. So Johnston and Merritt it was, can't really go past them as they're two of the greatest ever wingers to pull on a Souths jersey.

Alex Johnston and Nathan Merritt voted on the Wing for Menulog Team of the Decade: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...d-on-the-wing-for-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

handyman2190

Bench
Others can say chill out and dont worry, but this dosent stop me wondering , what the F, is going on!!
Dosent look like the souths faithful are getting any presents for xmas, no good news, no re signings, which brings me to my winging best, our lack of an experienced negotiator/chief exec has stiffled us, screwed us and left us vulnerable to a raid.
Cordner is on his last legs, chooks need a back rower,we have 1 available.
Props are in demand, we have 1 available, a couple of teams could do with a FB we have 1 available. Much has been written about the broncos woes and cap, but i dont get it, boyd , ofengowie, fafita, whats his name who went to the merge etc have freed up a ton of money, and want players all they have signed are bargain players, we are ripe for picking, and management have dropped the ball,big time, waiting so long ,letting players become available, our cap must be a mess, we resort to letting signed players like sirro go elsewere, bennett in my book has neglected us ,he should be at the forefront, every team he finishes at is stuffed for 2 years after, ohhh Richo, were are you? Yes im agitated, and stressed, while every year other teams seem to strengthen up we just sit on our arses,signing injury prone hacks at cheap prices that their teams laugh at our recruitment.
Merry xmas all you faithful, and if you like me recieved your members pack, with a cap that looks like a cruise ship,with barely a cardinle and myrtle and a plain coloured membership card which usually has the picture of 1 of our players on it, i wonder if indeed our team has lost a little identity and how much thought and care has gone into this package we donate our hard earned for.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
It's time to look at the Centres nominated in the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-nominated-in-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

Souths Junior Beau Champion nominated in the Centres for the Menulog Team of the Decade!: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...e-centres-for-the-menulog-team-of-the-decade/

Still a bit undecided on who I'm gonna vote for in the centres. Obviously, GI is the best player there but he's already in the team at fullback so can he be in there twice? I don't know. At this stage, I'm thinking I'm gonna vote for Dylan Walker. What he did in his time at the club was simply incredible and he's a big reason why we won that Premiership in 2014.

In other news,

Maxwell's smarts make him well equipped to be new refs' boss: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/23/maxwells-smarts-make-him-well-equipped-to-be-new-refs-boss/

Others can say chill out and dont worry, but this dosent stop me wondering , what the F, is going on!!
Dosent look like the souths faithful are getting any presents for xmas, no good news, no re signings, which brings me to my winging best, our lack of an experienced negotiator/chief exec has stiffled us, screwed us and left us vulnerable to a raid.
Cordner is on his last legs, chooks need a back rower,we have 1 available.
Props are in demand, we have 1 available, a couple of teams could do with a FB we have 1 available. Much has been written about the broncos woes and cap, but i dont get it, boyd , ofengowie, fafita, whats his name who went to the merge etc have freed up a ton of money, and want players all they have signed are bargain players, we are ripe for picking, and management have dropped the ball,big time, waiting so long ,letting players become available, our cap must be a mess, we resort to letting signed players like sirro go elsewere, bennett in my book has neglected us ,he should be at the forefront, every team he finishes at is stuffed for 2 years after, ohhh Richo, were are you? Yes im agitated, and stressed, while every year other teams seem to strengthen up we just sit on our arses,signing injury prone hacks at cheap prices that their teams laugh at our recruitment.
Merry xmas all you faithful, and if you like me recieved your members pack, with a cap that looks like a cruise ship,with barely a cardinle and myrtle and a plain coloured membership card which usually has the picture of 1 of our players on it, i wonder if indeed our team has lost a little identity and how much thought and care has gone into this package we donate our hard earned for.
Relax and be patient. I have faith in the club.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

NRL transfer news: Corey Allan and Josh Mansour contract demands prove a stumbling block

Two sticking points are standing in the way of Josh Mansour and Corey Allan from securing deals with rival clubs for 2021.

Tricky contract demands continue to prevent two backline stars from finding news homes for the 2021 season.
South Sydney outside back Corey Allan and veteran Penrith winger Josh Mansour both remain contracted to their current clubs for next year, despite being told they are free to secure deals elsewhere.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Allan’s management could be pricing the 22-year-old out of a deal.
It is understood Allan is currently on a deal worth about $330,000 at Souths, but one rival club has revealed they had been quoted a figure as high as $500,000 a season for the outside back.

After an impressive season for the Rabbitohs, in which Allan came in on the wing before admirably replacing the injured Latrell Mitchell at fullback in their surge to the preliminary finals, the former Broncos junior then earned a Queensland call-up with Wayne Bennett’s State of Origin-winning game three side.

At just 22 and with only 29 NRL appearances to his name, Allan will only get better. That step up to rep footy has increased Allan’s value, but to a point where some clubs are baulking at the asking price.

The stumbling block with Mansour, who coach Ivan Cleary told just 72 hours after Penrith’s 26-20 grand final loss to Melbourne that he would not be in the Panthers’ starting side in 2021, is the longevity of the deal his management is seeking.
While there have been talks of offers of one and two-year deals, a number of clubs interested in the star winger have been unwilling to meet the demand of a three-year contract.

The Wests Tigers have been mentioned as a possible home for Mansour, with the Concord-based club already picking up his former Panthers teammate James Tamou and having missed out on Josh Addo-Carr.

Both Allan and Mansour are well within their rights to stay put and fight for their places. It’s believed coach Wayne Bennett would happily keep Allan at the Rabbitohs, but doesn’t want to see him stuck behind Mitchell waiting for an opportunity for regular football in a stacked backline.

Canterbury have the salary cap flexibility and the roster space for one, perhaps two, outside backs, and could offer Mansour a one-year deal, but they would be reluctant to extend that any further given they have Melbourne’s State of Origin winger Addo-Carr joining them for four years from season 2022.

The Daily Telegraph has been told there is mutual interest from both Mansour and Parramatta, where close friend Reagan Campbell-Gillard made a successful transition in 2020.

One problem is that the Eels would likely need to move on veteran winger Blake Ferguson to make the move work. The other issue is Parramatta would not be looking at a long-term deal that would potentially block the path to an NRL berth for a host of their young outside backs, including Patrician Brothers Blacktown schoolboys star Sean Russell and The King’s School prodigy Viliame Penisini.

Jennings is an outstanding defender and, while youngster Haze Dunster looks to have a solid future in the NRL, the loss of the 32-year-old is certainly a short-term headache for the blue and golds.

handyman2190

Bench

NRL transfer news: Corey Allan and Josh Mansour contract demands prove a stumbling block

Two sticking points are standing in the way of Josh Mansour and Corey Allan from securing deals with rival clubs for 2021.

Tricky contract demands continue to prevent two backline stars from finding news homes for the 2021 season.
South Sydney outside back Corey Allan and veteran Penrith winger Josh Mansour both remain contracted to their current clubs for next year, despite being told they are free to secure deals elsewhere.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Allan’s management could be pricing the 22-year-old out of a deal.
It is understood Allan is currently on a deal worth about $330,000 at Souths, but one rival club has revealed they had been quoted a figure as high as $500,000 a season for the outside back.

After an impressive season for the Rabbitohs, in which Allan came in on the wing before admirably replacing the injured Latrell Mitchell at fullback in their surge to the preliminary finals, the former Broncos junior then earned a Queensland call-up with Wayne Bennett’s State of Origin-winning game three side.

At just 22 and with only 29 NRL appearances to his name, Allan will only get better. That step up to rep footy has increased Allan’s value, but to a point where some clubs are baulking at the asking price.

The stumbling block with Mansour, who coach Ivan Cleary told just 72 hours after Penrith’s 26-20 grand final loss to Melbourne that he would not be in the Panthers’ starting side in 2021, is the longevity of the deal his management is seeking.
While there have been talks of offers of one and two-year deals, a number of clubs interested in the star winger have been unwilling to meet the demand of a three-year contract.

The Wests Tigers have been mentioned as a possible home for Mansour, with the Concord-based club already picking up his former Panthers teammate James Tamou and having missed out on Josh Addo-Carr.

Both Allan and Mansour are well within their rights to stay put and fight for their places. It’s believed coach Wayne Bennett would happily keep Allan at the Rabbitohs, but doesn’t want to see him stuck behind Mitchell waiting for an opportunity for regular football in a stacked backline.

Canterbury have the salary cap flexibility and the roster space for one, perhaps two, outside backs, and could offer Mansour a one-year deal, but they would be reluctant to extend that any further given they have Melbourne’s State of Origin winger Addo-Carr joining them for four years from season 2022.

The Daily Telegraph has been told there is mutual interest from both Mansour and Parramatta, where close friend Reagan Campbell-Gillard made a successful transition in 2020.

One problem is that the Eels would likely need to move on veteran winger Blake Ferguson to make the move work. The other issue is Parramatta would not be looking at a long-term deal that would potentially block the path to an NRL berth for a host of their young outside backs, including Patrician Brothers Blacktown schoolboys star Sean Russell and The King’s School prodigy Viliame Penisini.

Jennings is an outstanding defender and, while youngster Haze Dunster looks to have a solid future in the NRL, the loss of the 32-year-old is certainly a short-term headache for the blue and golds.
I knew allen was on around 300k so why move unless its worth it? A move for an extra 50k really isnt worth it, so id be asking for the 500k and accepting 450k well it would free up a substancial amount of cap

Rabbits20

Immortal

We need to keep Corey now bro otherwise our depth starts looking shaky.

Travitoh

First Grade
$330k for Allan before he'd debuted highlights the need to get more out of the clubs juniors.

handyman2190

Bench
You want to pay $300,000 for a reserve grader.
That's very generous.
I dont know if generous is the word, when we got allen he was touted as the next big thing and he played for the pms 13 in new guinea, so to get talent, you need to pay, take souali, teams were willing to pay 600k plus and he hasnt played reserves yet. So prices paid are relative to talent and expectations.
So generous has got nothing to do with payment.

assess5

Juniors
I dont know if generous is the word, when we got allen he was touted as the next big thing and he played for the pms 13 in new guinea, so to get talent, you need to pay, take souali, teams were willing to pay 600k plus and he hasnt played reserves yet. So prices paid are relative to talent and expectations.
So generous has got nothing to do with payment.

Well, what position will you play him in? Latrell's' fullback, Allen's far to slow for a wing position, you yourself have stated as much, will you put him in the centres, don't think so. That position is far to difficult for him because that position requires speed and defensive ability (oh ooo Allen don't have either)

So, you will have him on the bench till someone gets injured?
Gotta ask 'is that the best use of the teams salary cap'.

Everybody knows my opinion re Allen's lack of defense but I'm not talking about that.

Where will you play him?