What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Murray

Bench
Its hard to say who is a good coach. Does 3 top 5 finishes in 4 seasons qualify?
Does a wooden spoon take it away? Was Paul Green a good coach? He won a GF. Was Dean Pay terrible? His squad was rubbish.
I feel like a lot has to do with luck and injuries and how the side and cap was when you took it on. I rate Bellamy and Bennet. The rest I feel you could take or leave including Hasler.
Brad Arthur has an experienced side. I would love to see him coach a relatively young side, then judge.

betcats

Referee
We're putting a lot of faith in a guy who has played 120 mins of NRL for 2 serious injuries.

I get that he scored 6 tries in that time, but he needs to stay on the field to be our first/second choice Winger.

And that's exactly why Sauce should stay. Because Staines and To'o will get injured. And look at Liam Martin this year, was behind Capewell, until he got injured, and then form ensured Martin held his spot. Sauce can do the same.

I don't buy this dummy spit nonsense. It was a talk back sports show chasing down Sauce for comment, at a time when he still would have been emotional.

Since then, no articles in the paper, no social media posts (think about how Aloiai acted), nothing.

I'm backing Sauce to be back at training in the new year (when he's required to return).

Its up to him to stay. I think the only reason Sauce will stay is if he cant get a deal elsewhere. He is not going to hang around and play reserve grade if he has a choice, he has said as much.

Pretty sure the medical staff and Ivan would've considered the injury situation with Staines, I am more than happy to put faith in them.

As far as Sauce being chased fown for a comment, that is bullshit, talk back radio host arent out in the street chasing people down ffs. Maybe they chased him down but he certainly gave them more than a comment and did so willingly, it wasnt a media appearance he had to make.

Edit: And he spoke to Danny Weidler not some talk back show.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
He needs to understand that now it is Staines turning down bigger offers to stay at Penrith, I just dont know what the guy expected.

As much as I appreciate Josh taking less I think it happens more than we know. We've just had two kids do it in one off-season and guys like Jerome and Yeo who are very likely to stay could probably get more if they left, Liam Martin didnt even bother talking to other clubs. You can find reports of players accepting lesser deals to remain at their clubs every year.

I doubt you'd find many examples of players who take unders at a joke of a club and not just for one deal (to then get their handshake payday next contract) but two. Anyway I'm not denying the club has been good to Josh, I don't think Panthers owe him anything and I think it's absolutely the right decision to move him on. I just find it sad that fans are trashing him over a couple quotes after the bloke just had his premiership dream crushed and he was sacked from his dream gig, despite the incredible contribution he's made to the club. I'll personally remember him as one of the great clubmen.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We're putting a lot of faith in a guy who has played 120 mins of NRL for 2 serious injuries.

I get that he scored 6 tries in that time, but he needs to stay on the field to be our first/second choice Winger.

And that's exactly why Sauce should stay. Because Staines and To'o will get injured. And look at Liam Martin this year, was behind Capewell, until he got injured, and then form ensured Martin held his spot. Sauce can do the same.

I don't buy this dummy spit nonsense. It was a talk back sports show chasing down Sauce for comment, at a time when he still would have been emotional.

Since then, no articles in the paper, no social media posts (think about how Aloiai acted), nothing.

I'm backing Sauce to be back at training in the new year (when he's required to return).
He's far too slow. Its time to move on

betcats

Referee
I doubt you'd find many examples of players who take unders at a joke of a club and not just for one deal (to then get their handshake payday next contract) but two. Anyway I'm not denying the club has been good to Josh, I don't think Panthers owe him anything and I think it's absolutely the right decision to move him on. I just find it sad that fans are trashing him over a couple quotes after the bloke just had his premiership dream crushed and he was sacked from his dream gig, despite the incredible contribution he's made to the club. I'll personally remember him as one of the great clubmen.

I disagree. Plenty of players have taken less for multiple contracts. Look at Manly under Des, all of their stars took less so they could stay together for years until DCE, it well noted this was a big beef between DCE and certain senior players at Manly at the time.

Also Josh has been paid at least a Mil the last 3 years possible quite a bit more.

franklin2323

Immortal

Staines was signed for 2022. The plan is for him to established then Mansour won't get any quicker

hindy111

Post Whore
Brad Arthur has an experienced side. I would love to see him coach a relatively young side, then judge.

You don't think its' the coachs responsibility for assembling his squad? I feel like this is one of the best credentials too judge a coach. The side and players he puts together,selects each week and puts his faith and trust in.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You don't think its' the coachs responsibility for assembling his squad? I feel like this is one of the best credentials too judge a coach. The side and players he puts together,selects each week and puts his faith and trust in.

This is not the place to be discussing the coach of Parra doesn't matter. Surely that stuff needs to be on the Parra doesn't matter forum.

I thought we were talking about a signing Salmon and how he will go under Ivan Cleary......

hindy111

Post Whore
This is not the place to be discussing the coach of Parra doesn't matter. Surely that stuff needs to be on the Parra doesn't matter forum.

I thought we were talking about a signing Salmon and how he will go under Ivan Cleary......

I was discussing coaches in general. I applaud Ivan for cutting Blake,DWZ,Maloney,Rcg. I didn't think they'd do a lot in 2020. But a couple of cheeky signings who all contributed well.
2021 is the acid test. A top 4 roster now.
As far as Salmon goes. He doesn't make your strongest 17 in 2021. I am going to predict Ivan turns him into a Wade Graheme style. I hope he goes well.

betcats

Referee
I was discussing coaches in general. I applaud Ivan for cutting Blake,DWZ,Maloney,Rcg. I didn't think they'd do a lot in 2020. But a couple of cheeky signings who all contributed well.
2021 is the acid test. A top 4 roster now.
As far as Salmon goes. He doesn't make your strongest 17 in 2021. I am going to predict Ivan turns him into a Wade Graheme style. I hope he goes well.

We need him as a back. We have backrowers coming out of our ass, our depth is the halves and backs is the issue for us.

Jane Murray

Bench
He still selects experienced, and senior, players. I disagree with that. Yes the eels caused the one, and only, lost for the Panthers. That only happened due to a 10 minute brain fart. My sentiment still remains.

MugaB

Coach
He still selects experienced, and senior, players. I disagree with that. Yes the eels caused the one, and only, lost for the Panthers. That only happened due to a 10 minute brain fart. My sentiment still remains.
Every team has brain farts, we cannot blame a 10 minute period, every minute in defence counts, no team is excused..

Look at what bunnies did to roosters in round 20,....60zip...

Or both our sharks games this year..
We had a half hour of brainfarting at the GF, before deciding to put the sword to the storm, only to fall short.
Most clubs can beat each other on any given day, its all about those little moments that make the contest swing one way or another

P.s. parra are shit, why do entertain hindy, with his mindless rants bout all things parra

maple_69

Bench
I disagree. Plenty of players have taken less for multiple contracts. Look at Manly under Des, all of their stars took less so they could stay together for years until DCE, it well noted this was a big beef between DCE and certain senior players at Manly at the time.

Also Josh has been paid at least a Mil the last 3 years possible quite a bit more.

Yep another example of players taking unders to keep a premiership squad together. In the 7 years preceding that DCE contract saga (2014) that side won 2 premierships, lost 2 GFs and made the prelims once. In the same period leading up to Josh first re-signing (2014) we ran 10th -16th every year but one. Players play for cash and glory. The Manly guys took less cash to get more glory. Good on them. Josh took less cash to play with Peter Wallace and Kevin Kingston.

In any case I love the bloke and like everyone else am looking forward to Staines tearing it up in his jersey.

betcats

Referee
Yep another example of players taking unders to keep a premiership squad together. In the 7 years preceding that DCE contract saga (2014) that side won 2 premierships, lost 2 GFs and made the prelims once. In the same period leading up to Josh first re-signing (2014) we ran 10th -16th every year but one. Players play for cash and glory. The Manly guys took less cash to get more glory. Good on them. Josh took less cash to play with Peter Wallace and Kevin Kingston.

In any case I love the bloke and like everyone else am looking forward to Staines tearing it up in his jersey.

You are splitting hairs now. Plenty of blokes have taken less, putting Josh up on a pedestal above the rest is just your bias showing.

This Crichton situation is really bizarre in how long it’s taking. Of course I didn’t expect a signature this week close to Xmas, but the overall situation has left a bitter taste in my mouth as a fan.

Original Name

Juniors
You are splitting hairs now. Plenty of blokes have taken less, putting Josh up on a pedestal above the rest is just your bias showing.
Plently blokes take less at clubs close to winning or in the process of wining premierhsips. It's not that common for players at preeningly bottom 8 clubs like we used to be in the first few years Josh was here.

betcats

Referee
Plently blokes take less at clubs close to winning or in the process of wining premierhsips. It's not that common for players at preeningly bottom 8 clubs like we used to be in the first few years Josh was here.

This becoming such a joke. We have made the finals in 5 out of his 9 seasons, do you realise this??? His third year here we played in a prelim, back in the finals two years later for three straight years. Between 2012 and now we made the finals in 14(prelim) 16, 17,18 and a gf in 2020, he also played in origin series and got picked fir Australia before he did his acl in that camp. You guys are acting like he never considered leaving but did he not all but agree to go to canberra? I remember he definitely spoke to them and possibly went and visited them. When has Isaah Yeo done that? Or Fish? or Whare? Dylan edwards. Look at Jerome, he stayed loyal for two years stuck behind Jimmy when he could’ve gone to south’s. Players showing loyalty to clubs happens, it’s not always about winning.

betcats

Referee
This Crichton situation is really bizarre in how long it’s taking. Of course I didn’t expect a signature this week close to Xmas, but the overall situation has left a bitter taste in my mouth as a fan.

I think they must be waiting for the cap space for 2021 to be freed up so they can upgrade him.

maple_69

Bench
I agree Luai has shown incredible loyalty to bide his time behind Cleary and Maloney. Yeo was a solid first grader until 4 months ago so time will tell what he does with his success but he seems like an absolute stand up guy. Staines had signed for less to play on the end of Kikau/Luai/Crichton. If he stays fit there’s every chance he’s a Kangaroo by the end of the year and away he goes.

We can each have our own memories and things we value in players. Josh doesn’t have to be and isn’t the only loyal player there ever was. I value the commitment he showed to our club over the whole period we were dragging ourselves out of mediocrity and can’t help but assume he has played a huge part in developing the culture and standard we now see on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts