What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-contract players 2021

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As of now we have 11 players coming off-contract in 2021.
I haven't included DeBelin and note that Vaughan has a player option for 2022, which as far as I know he hasn't taken up as yet.

Blacker
Brittain
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
McInnes
Merrin
Norman
Periera
Vaughan
Williame

So, from this list, who would you re-sign as of now?
Remember letting players go means also replacing them within the squad.

qld redvee

Juniors
merrin and norman will save us a bundle as for the rest well it will come down to performance for guys like williame Fuimaono ellis and then it depends on the youngsters coming through and are they good enough to allow us to move on others .. really up to the players to show they are worth keeping

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No to Merrin and Norman for me.
Happy with the rest at this stage.
CC

Agree with Merrin and Norman.
I would add that Fuimaono and Ellis need to have big years either in CC or occasional games in 1st grade. However, forwards are veey hard to come by at present.
Williame also needs to show something, anything to warrant any consideration for an extension.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Blacker - Keep.
Brittain - 50-50 see how season goes / dependent on McInnes staying.
Dufty - Keep
Ellis - 50 - 50 see how season goes.,
Fuimaono - 50 - 50 see how season goes.
McInnes - Keep.
Merrin - Punt, unless Hook can perform a miracle.
Norman - Punt................ even the Almighty could only achieve so much.

Periera - Punt...........honest player but too much off jigging around when he hits the 'Go' button.
( I don't know whether he's going take off to the moon, break out into a disco dance
or join the the Village People)

Vaughan - Hook to de-McGregorise him.
Williame - 50 - 50 see how season goes, probably more likely punt.

A lot of fence sitting which of course, will depend on whether Doctor Hook can 'Walk Right In', being that he doesn't have 'All The Time In The World' to get results.

With McInnes, we should offer him decent money but not go overboard, otherwise, he can find 'Better Love Next Time' with the Tigers, possibly.

With Norman, l'd be scanning Google Maps and sending him as far away as possible, prepaid of course!

Norman and Merrin, I can understand letting go. Especially with the money they are on. But as for Fui, Ellis, JP, Brittain etc, you do realize we have a Canterbury Cup team to fill as well. These guys will be great for CC, and capable of covering injuries to the firsts team.

Big fan of Billy Brittain. He just needs a good run in firsts to show what be is capable of.

redv13

Bench
Norman and Merrin, I can understand letting go. Especially with the money they are on. But as for Fui, Ellis, JP, Brittain etc, you do realize we have a Canterbury Cup team to fill as well. These guys will be great for CC, and capable of covering injuries to the firsts team.

Big fan of Billy Brittain. He just needs a good run in firsts to show what be is capable of.
Yeah agree, maybe I was a tad harsh on Williame. But Norman and Merrin catch ya’s. Those 2 alone would probably give us about 1.1-1.2 to play with

Como Connection

First Grade

Agree about Billy, very capable backup for Cam.
Must resign
CC

BLM01

First Grade
As of now we have 11 players coming off-contract in 2021.
I haven't included DeBelin and note that Vaughan has a player option for 2022, which as far as I know he hasn't taken up as yet.

Blacker
Brittain
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
McInnes
Merrin
Norman
Periera
Vaughan
Williame

So, from this list, who would you re-sign as of now?
Remember letting players go means also replacing them within the squad.
Vaughan has taken his option up! :)
I could happily see the back of Fui the journeyman, Merrin the plodder, Norman the showpony, Williame the reserve grader and keep JP but drop him to reggies if some of our young blokes step up.

dragon thomo

Juniors
It would not be the end of the world if we lost the lot.
There is a couple that may be a back up. McInnes is a good player but i would not pay overs for him. Vaughan needs to pick up his form and get consistant.

redv13

Bench
Vaughan has taken his option up! :)
I could happily see the back of Fui the journeyman, Merrin the plodder, Norman the showpony, Williame the reserve grader and keep JP but drop him to reggies if some of our young blokes step up.
I got a feeling that Fuimaono will be a big improver under Griffin. Bit of old school coaching will iron out any attitude issues nice and quick

possm

Coach
For me it is a bit early to say because a lot will depend on how many of these players perform in the first few rounds. I imagine we will have a better idea in July 2021.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Blacker - Keep.
Brittain - 50-50 see how season goes / dependent on McInnes staying.
Dufty - Keep
Ellis - 50 - 50 see how season goes.,
Fuimaono - 50 - 50 see how season goes.
McInnes - Keep.
Merrin - Punt, unless Hook can perform a miracle.
Norman - Punt................ even the Almighty could only achieve so much.

Periera - Punt...........honest player but too much off jigging around when he hits the 'Go' button.
( I don't know whether he's going take off to the moon, break out into a disco dance
or join the the Village People)

Vaughan - Hook to de-McGregorise him.
Williame - 50 - 50 see how season goes, probably more likely punt.

A lot of fence sitting which of course, will depend on whether Doctor Hook can 'Walk Right In', being that he doesn't have 'All The Time In The World' to get results.

With McInnes, we should offer him decent money but not go overboard, otherwise, he can find 'Better Love Next Time' with the Tigers, possibly.

With Norman, l'd be scanning Google Maps and sending him as far away as possible, prepaid of course!
To JP if you are reading this forum - sat around a table here in Angeles City with 7 Saints fans - mate we would have you in our team each week - hundred per cent support here young fella

rasaint

Juniors
I notice Blacker continues to be a fav amoungst a number of posters; he certainly is a big guy. I suppose this year will determine if he is the real deal.

Old Timer

Coach
The good part with Hook is I think that the plodders will be sorted out pretty quickly and they will hopefully end up on the “anyone but” list.

That is how the pathway system to 1st grade should work in that those that haven’t cut the mustard don’t block those that might make it.

I perceive that Merrin, Norman, Williame, Fuimaono will all be on that list by round 5 and that they remain on it unless there is a catastrophic run of injuries.

I also suspect that Blacker will need to show some real improvement especially in lateral movement or he might make the list as well because Hook has a good eye for young players and a basic understanding of those that might make it and those that never will.

So expect some culling in both the senior and emerging ranks.

Latest posts