What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020/21 Offseason - Knights

Spot On

Coach
Last paragraph of the SMH article - wants a 5 year contract extension.

lol

Not sure where the bigger lol goes there... Pearce for believing he is NRL standard at the moment, let lone in another 5 yrs OR the club for giving him any skerrick of hope that he will be resigned at all.

This latest drama could be a blessing in disguise for the club.

Fingers crossed.

Spot On

Coach
So, nobody believes it’s due to COVID like Pearce said?
I usually like to think the best of people so I hope it’s down to COVID. The fact it’s happened so late makes it possible.
What are the odds if it’s this text message thing of it happening so close to the wedding date?
Postponing late because you want all your guests to be able to attend, and not having a confirmed number of people allowed until recently, makes complete sense.

You are aware of Pearce's litany of off field transgressions yeah?

Coastbloke

Bench
He's a peanut. But it goes to show how desperate the Knights are in attracting high quality classy players but just can't that we keep him..

Why? Newcastle is a great town. 1 club town. Strong League culture. Wtf, it's frustrating..

Loose Cannon

Bench
If the female staffer played along, it is between him and his fiancé.

If it was not appreciated, he is in trouble.

Jono078

Referee
"He currently earns $1 million a year but has reportedly been offered half of that amount for a two-year extension with the club"

This is from the Sydney morning Herald article. That's a huuuge pay cut
This is excellent, I’m glad the club has the balls to do this. Basically saying if you don’t like it then feel free to test the market. Not only that but it’s probably saying we don’t think you’re performing like a milion dollar player.

Good on you Knights!

Yosh

Coach
Hopefully this is the straw that breaks the camel's back. We need him far away from the club as possible. Both as a player and leader.

Don't care if we need to carry his salary for another year, he needs to lose his captaincy, dropped to reserves and if he works hard gets a crack again. The whole league is trying to improve its image and the Knights are following suit. How come the biggest news to come out of preseason is this? Plain embarrassing.

Alex28

Coach
If the female staffer played along, it is between him and his fiancé.

If it was not appreciated, he is in trouble.
That’s not the way things work in business anymore - and the Knights is a business. Just because he is a player does not exempt him from that kind of stuff.

I mean, the CEO’s of both Channel 9 and 7 have both left their positions because of consensual relationships with junior staffers.

I reckon he is done as captain, and probably won’t get re-signed.

Spot On

Coach
That’s not the way things work in business anymore - and the Knights is a business. Just because he is a player does not exempt him from that kind of stuff.

I mean, the CEO’s of both Channel 9 and 7 have both left their positions because of consensual relationships with junior staffers.

A no brainer that he loses the captaincy and moves on somewhere else if this club is serious about changing the culture under O'Brien.

Otherwise, resume normal programming.

Loose Cannon

Bench

Yeah I know. And I don’t want him to have any excuses either.

Business is one thing. His fiancé should rightly be filthy either way.

The one thing which will really be remembered is if his approach was unwelcome. That is another level of jerk.

Tom155

Coach
Who’s going to be the new captain if they strip Pearce?

Klem? Kalyn? Brailey? someone else??

PhilGould

Bench
Fitzgibbon's best mate is in fact the partner of the girl involved so it's not insignificant. Don't know that it will "split the playing group" though.

Burwood

Bench
Pearce will always just be “one of the boys”. You could see earlier this year that he hasn’t changed or matured when he was on a fox sports segment with Best and some other young player and he was making immature jokes and slapping the other guys on the leg laughing at everything- fair enough, that’s who he is and it’s probably good for team bonding and morale to be like that, but it isn’t the best feature you want in a leader or captain.

Latest posts