What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McInnes and Madge having breakfast together

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Mcguiness is a good player and i do not want to lose him. In saying that i do not want us to pay overs either. I also agree he needs to offer more in attack..
I Believe he can learn more under our new coach, but if he leaves so be it as i am sick of the way some players treat our club.
In fairness to Mcguiness he has not come out and said he is looking at other options.

Agree DT,

If Cam played well under Rembrandt, we can expect him to blitz it with 3 decent coaches.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
In my opinion Saints will offer McInnes 650k a season on a 2-3 year deal. If the Tigers offer 700k or more, McInnes will move on.

Ok, what l don't understand is .....................

How is it that the Tigers or other clubs for that matter, can offer to pay 'overs' for player after player?
Yet we Dragons, year after year, seem to have pittance to offer players, even if we lose someone like Frizzell?

The Tigers, if l remember rightly, payed 'overs' for several players including no-knees Packer.
I'm stuffed if l know how they and others do it.

Disclaimer - Of course, l do NOT include and The Rorters transactions in my list of CAP calculations.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
Bingo. We have created our own media headline and hysteria that he wants out and then overs :astonished::grin:..before the media has.

Yep. This forum is a proven media-storm generator!

We bang on about how the media hates the Dragons when the truth is they love us.

We do most of those hacks work for them with threads like this one!

We create the headline, feed it with unfounded speculation and wild innuendo, generate fanbase frenzy and outrage and hey presto, 'Massive breaking headline from the Dragon' and its instantly legitimised!

They love us...

hewi

Bench
Nine sports this morning

RIVAL CLUB TARGETING McINNES

Wests Tigers are set to make Dragons skipper Cameron McInnes as their number one target for 2022.

McInnes met with Tigers coach Michael Maguire at a Maroubra cafe last week - and it's a safe bet they weren't talking about Christmas presents.

The pair have a long association - McInnes was selected for his NRL debut under Maguire at Souths in 2014.

The tough-talking coach knows only too well the all-round value of McInnes, who starred for the Dragons despite another disappointing campaign for the club in 2020.

McInnes comes off contract at the end of next season and while the Dragons are keen to retain him, he is set to test his value in the open market.

With star youngster Harry Grant moving back to Melbourne, the Tigers will start next season with two young hookers in Jacob Liddle and Jake Simpkin.

Maguire wants more experience in the key dummy-half role and McInnes would be an ideal player to lead the talented young Tigers team in years to come

Maddragon99

Juniors
Nine sports this morning

Wests Tigers are set to make Dragons skipper Cameron McInnes as their number one target for 2022.

McInnes met with Tigers coach Michael Maguire at a Maroubra cafe last week - and it's a safe bet they weren't talking about Christmas presents.

The pair have a long association - McInnes was selected for his NRL debut under Maguire at Souths in 2014.

The tough-talking coach knows only too well the all-round value of McInnes, who starred for the Dragons despite another disappointing campaign for the club in 2020.

McInnes comes off contract at the end of next season and while the Dragons are keen to retain him, he is set to test his value in the open market.

With star youngster Harry Grant moving back to Melbourne, the Tigers will start next season with two young hookers in Jacob Liddle and Jake Simpkin.

Maguire wants more experience in the key dummy-half role and McInnes would be an ideal player to lead the talented young Tigers team in years to come
I think we can except a lot of these types of articles until the club decides what they want to do. Manly are another likely suitor. But If the Tigers are prepared to pay overs for him I can’t see us matching it.

True_Believer

Juniors
Yep. This forum is a proven media-storm generator!

We bang on about how the media hates the Dragons when the truth is they love us.

We do most of those hacks work for them with threads like this one!

We create the headline, feed it with unfounded speculation and wild innuendo, generate fanbase frenzy and outrage and hey presto, 'Massive breaking headline from the Dragon' and its instantly legitimised!

They love us...

Sounds like a Trump rally....

getsmarty

Immortal
Nine sports this morning

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...-mcinnes/70569b1c-c187-441b-8135-8c36c6e2ff99

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of points here from the 'article'

McInnes to 'test' his value on the open market. Seems this terminology is used frequently in negotiations these days. I can get X outside can you match it. I think Hook has a figure in mind for McInnes and if it's far in excess of it he will let him go, and I would support that 100%

Tigers have 2 young hookers in Liddle and Simkin.

If Hunt is such a good hooker, why isn't there any interest in him? Probably mainly due to when he could be approached given his current contract.

It would seem strange to me to let McInnes walk for 600k and use a half back at hooker on 850-900k (or is it 1.2m?), it would make future negotiations very interesting for all clubs.

Maddragon99

Juniors
A couple of points here from the 'article'

McInnes to 'test' his value on the open market. Seems this terminology is used frequently in negotiations these days. I can get X outside can you match it. I think Hook has a figure in mind for McInnes and if it's far in excess of it he will let him go, and I would support that 100%

Tigers have 2 young hookers in Liddle and Simkin.

If Hunt is such a good hooker, why isn't there any interest in him? Probably mainly due to when he could be approached given his current contract.

It would seem strange to me to let McInnes walk for 600k and use a half back at hooker on 850-900k (or is it 1.2m?), it would make future negotiations very interesting for all clubs.
There’s another dynamic to consider;

Option A) In 2022 & 2023 Are we better placed to win with a halves combo of Sullivan/Hunt & McInnes at 9?

Option B) In 2022 & 2023 Are we better placed to win with a halves combo of Sullivan/Amone or Clune & Hunt at 9?

Option A means we lose Amone & Clune to seek better opportunities elsewhere

Option B means we lose McInnes

There’s no scenario where we can keep everyone. So when you talk about paying McInnes $600K on top of the $1M we are paying Hunt it means losing Amone & probably Clune. If Hunt’s the halfback until 2024 neither player will wait that long.

For mine I’m not prepared to sacrifice 2 quality halfbacks to keep McInnes. Halfbacks are just too hard to come by when McInnes is so easily replaceable by Hunt.

All the vitriol on here for McInnes is so misplaced. You’ve got to look at the bigger picture.

possm

Coach
There’s another dynamic to consider;

Option A) In 2022 & 2023 Are we better placed to win with a halves combo of Sullivan/Hunt & McInnes at 9?

Option B) In 2022 & 2023 Are we better placed to win with a halves combo of Sullivan/Amone or Clune & Hunt at 9?

Option A means we lose Amone & Clune to seek better opportunities elsewhere

Option B means we lose McInnes

There’s no scenario where we can keep everyone. So when you talk about paying McInnes $600K on top of the $1M we are paying Hunt it means losing Amone & probably Clune. If Hunt’s the halfback until 2024 neither player will wait that long.

For mine I’m not prepared to sacrifice 2 quality halfbacks to keep McInnes. Halfbacks are just too hard to come by when McInnes is so easily replaceable by Hunt.

All the vitriol on here for McInnes is so misplaced. You’ve got to look at the bigger picture.
At this stage in their career neither Sullivan or Amone are in a position to ask for a big money contract. So it would be safe to sign them to a long term low coin contract and then upgrade them as their worth becomes better known and as our salary cap capacity will allow.

If we could off-load Hunt and keep McInnes that would be my preference however, it seems that there is no demand for Hunt from other clubs but there is a demand for McInnes. So I like the idea of having Hunt at 9 and letting Clune, Sullivan, Amone and even Bird, fight it out for the halves positions.