What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Personally, I don't think players who yell at teammates are great leaders.

Michael Jordan instilled fear into his teammates, and would yell at them when they messed up.

I don't think that made him a great leader, as great of a player as he was; Toni Kukoc was an outstanding young talent, who was curbed greatly by being intimidated into mediocrity by Jordan.

Joey may have been captain, but I would wager the players responded better to Buderus, Simpson, Kennedy, and even O'Davis' leadership, than a bloke who yelled at you when you invariably made a simple error.

I don't believe that a truly good leader just yells at their team when things are down; I also don't think that a truly good leader is passive.

They are inspirational, encouraging, but able to lay down the law.

I think the captain we have now, Clint Gutherson, is a pretty terrific leader.
I think he will be, but he still needs to temper his youthful exuberance. Cam Smith, f**k his eyes, is quite obviously a great on-field leader. And given his teams' success he would have to be a great leader off the field too.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Well he did. In 2014 when he won the Dally M medal he only had 40+ touches twice, including 49 in that final game he almost rescued against the Raiders. By comparison, Billy Slater had 40 touches nearly every week. Ironically, the fullback who won the comp that year had similar involvement to Hayne, however Inglis is the outlier amongst premiership winning fullbacks. They are otherwise consistently highly involved. Souths also played a very lowbrow style, just running over the top of merkins through the middle.

Bear in mind too, that these are just stats for involvement on the ball. Off the ball Hayne was never to be seen, while Slater, Coote, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen were always in motion.
*Gutherson.

T-Boon

Coach
Bear in mind too, that these are just stats for involvement on the ball. Off the ball Hayne was never to be seen, while Slater, Coote, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen were always in motion.

I don't know where you come up with your stats for touches but I don't believe them.
Slater and Papenhuysen are small and both of them benefit from not having to do everything like Hayne did. Who knows anything about Coote? Where did you even come up with him as a dude to bring up?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't know where you come up with your stats for touches but I don't believe them.
https://mc.championdata.com/nrl
Slater and Papenhuysen are small and both of them benefit from not having to do everything like Hayne did.
Well that's the point. The reason the best fullbacks (and halves) are small is because they're the best at covering the most ground over 80 minutes.

And if Hayne had to do everything he would've handled the ball a lot more often. Instead he parked his arse out wide waiting for the ball to come to him.
Who knows anything about Coote? Where did you even come up with him as a dude to bring up?
He's a premiership winning fullback.

blue bags

First Grade
Bellamy does the same thing.
Someone needs to yell at our players - our coach is too docile to do it.
To me Brad Arthur is not a leader.

But who ever it was above saying our hooker is a leader is nuts.
most of the very best sports coaches in history has had the loud fiery mouth
especially in team sports, when there is so many distractions
you got to get there attention to focus

Eelogical

Referee
My mum could dominate super league.
As a hooker?
https://mc.championdata.com/nrl

Well that's the point. The reason the best fullbacks (and halves) are small is because they're the best at covering the most ground over 80 minutes.

And if Hayne had to do everything he would've handled the ball a lot more often. Instead he parked his arse out wide waiting for the ball to come to him.
He's a premiership winning fullback.
Small fullbacks get bombed out of the game, or dragged over the sideline.

blue bags

First Grade
I agree 100%.

Luc Longley himself has stated a few times that Jordan led through fear, and bullying, and it worked for some people, but for most, it alienated them; what kept the team together was Phil Jackson, and the success they had.
some players never talked to rodman in bulls team

hindy111

Post Whore
He wouldn't be the first shitmerkin we signed - Manu Ma'u, Ken Edwards, Danny Wicks, Kirisome Auva'a, even Blake Ferguson...they all had troubled pasts outside of the game, and we signed them, and they mostly turned out good signings for us.

However, my biggest concern with Hayne is his ego, and potentially poor influence in the side.

While it's true that we have leaders in the team now like Gutherson, Mahoney, Nathan Brown, Matterson, Ferguson, etc., I'm not sure if they can keep Hayne in line.

If he beats his charges, he may be grateful for an opportunity to finish his footy career, and give his all.

But he's just as likely to phone it in, and be a disruptive presence.

Given his off-field issues, and poor on-field form, he wouldn't cost a whole lot, so that is a pro.

He may be a decent replacement for Michael Jennings.

I'm not convinced we should make a play for him, though.

The other difference is all those guys where at peak age. Hayne is in decline. And a noted wanker. A huge wanker tbh,

hindy111

Post Whore
To many people on here get stuck in the pass.
Hayne was effective 6 seasons ago. Yeah he was great. But that's so long ago. The guy was a turd. He walked put on the club, he rubbished them for not signing him when come back and then rubbished them in 2018 when we didn't offer a contract. He has been shot at and 2 sexual assault allegations against him.
Honestly f**k the bloke. Lets talk about guys who are there now like Gutho

T-Boon

Coach
I'll tell you who was a crap leader. Hindmarsh. He was in great teams a lot when the one thing we lacked was go forward and a forward enforcer. He was just a work horse with zero skill and he was a terrible role model when Hayne was young.
I cant even remember if he played in the 2001 GF. Kennedy and Peden ran all over him

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'll tell you who was a crap leader. Hindmarsh. He was in great teams a lot when the one thing we lacked was go forward and a forward enforcer. He was just a work horse with zero skill and he was a terrible role model when Hayne was young.
Hindy could have been Cam Smith and thickshit Hayne would have still found a way to be a shit stain.

blue bags

First Grade
To many people on here get stuck in the pass.
Hayne was effective 6 seasons ago. Yeah he was great. But that's so long ago. The guy was a turd. He walked put on the club, he rubbished them for not signing him when come back and then rubbished them in 2018 when we didn't offer a contract. He has been shot at and 2 sexual assault allegations against him.
Honestly f**k the bloke. Lets talk about guys who are there now like Gutho
what position would Hayne play, fullback, wing, center, bench
next year eels team

T-Boon

Coach
Hindy could have been Cam Smith and thickshit Hayne would have still found a way to be a shit stain.

Hindy was just a very good toiler. Bad leader, no impact, just a tackler really.

We should have brought in Willie Mason to lead the forwards.