What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

Gareth67

First Grade
Just on Duffy and Ramsey , both tremendous attacking weapons and for the Dragons to score points this season - 2021 they will need both . Yes Cody would be more suited at fullback , however where would you put the Duff ?

For the time being leave them where they are , but should there be any drastic drop in form by Duffy then Ramsey would be the new fullback . I would not be able to find a position for Duffy in the team unless he becomes the attacking weapon that comes on for a 10 minute period before the end of each half - worth thinking about .

As someone else mentioned earlier - the game has changed and by creating this new position as a ‘ knife through butter ‘ attack player who cuts through a tiring opponents defense just before halftime and full time could be a great ploy .

Maddragon99

Juniors
I feel Schiller may end up like Burton at Penrith. I very well could be wrong but from my extremely limited knowledge Ramsey has already played FG and killed it, and Sloan seems to be going well at training. I just feel that Ramsey will have such a jump on Schiller that should Dufty fail at 1 in the eyes of Hook Ramsey will likely be first cab off the rank followed by Sloan. Much like Luai at Penrith one of those two may cement their spot and even though Schiller may have more potential he may look for an opportunity elsewhere. As I said I may be wrong but of the real prodigies we have in Ramsey, Schiller, Sloan and Amone only I reckon two of them we can keep and I hope we choose wisely.
I hope we’ve learned the lessons of the past & prioritise the twins. Losing J Moz eventually cost us B Moz because they wanted to play together. Look at them today? Still playing at a high standard for a top tier team not sure of the number but it must be over 250 tries between them.

As far as I’m concerned playing Feagai‘s left centre left wing is number one priority. If that means losing Dufty, Schiller & Sauni-Esau then I’m ok with it. Sloan is untried so let’s see how he goes but there’s always right wing if he’s better than Rav.

For those old enough it reminds me of Chris Johns, a great centre who as squeezed out for lack of opportunity.

Dragon David

First Grade
I hope we’ve learned the lessons of the past & prioritise the twins. Losing J Moz eventually cost us B Moz because they wanted to play together. Look at them today? Still playing at a high standard for a top tier team not sure of the number but it must be over 250 tries between them.

As far as I’m concerned playing Feagai‘s left centre left wing is number one priority. If that means losing Dufty, Schiller & Sauni-Esau then I’m ok with it. Sloan is untried so let’s see how he goes but there’s always right wing if he’s better than Rav.

For those old enough it reminds me of Chris Johns, a great centre who as squeezed out for lack of opportunity.
Yes I remember Chris Johns.
From his début with St. George in 1984 until his retirement following 1996, he played in 223 games (52 for St. George, 171 for Brisbane) and scored 57 tries (7 and 50), winning two premierships and one World Club Challenge for the Broncos.
He would have loved playing against us.

possm

Coach
I think we need to have a better relationship with player managers and also review our standard contract arrangements. For players we wish to keep long term, our standard contract should be, a 2 or 3 year term with an option of an additional 1 or 2 years in favour of the Club.

Ever since the days of Craig Young as our recruitment manager, we seem to be not in favour with many player mangers. We really should be in a position where player managers contact us to sound out possible player movements and possible deals. To me it does not seem to have been that way under the Mary/Millward era; this needs to change.

The recognition of talent and what term we should offer players is another problem for Saints however, this problem seems to be now being addressed. I am in favour of using the Canterbury Cub Competition as a grooming ground for our local young guns. I really don't care if we win this competition or not, I care more that our potential first graders are well prepared for their future term in first grade at Saints.

getsmarty

Immortal
I think we need to have a better relationship with player managers and also review our standard contract arrangements. For players we wish to keep long term, our standard contract should be, a 2 or 3 year term with an option of an additional 1 or 2 years in favour of the Club.

Ever since the days of Craig Young as our recruitment manager, we seem to be not in favour with many player mangers. We really should be in a position where player managers contact us to sound out possible player movements and possible deals. To me it does not seem to have been that way under the Mary/Millward era; this needs to change.

The recognition of talent and what term we should offer players is another problem for Saints however, this problem seems to be now being addressed. I am in favour of using the Canterbury Cub Competition as a grooming ground for our local young guns. I really don't care if we win this competition or not, I care more that our potential first graders are well prepared for their future term in first grade at Saints.

Changing under the new regime...hence the few deals we knocked back from our end...

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Just on Duffy and Ramsey , both tremendous attacking weapons and for the Dragons to score points this season - 2021 they will need both . Yes Cody would be more suited at fullback , however where would you put the Duff ?

For the time being leave them where they are , but should there be any drastic drop in form by Duffy then Ramsey would be the new fullback . I would not be able to find a position for Duffy in the team unless he becomes the attacking weapon that comes on for a 10 minute period before the end of each half - worth thinking about .

As someone else mentioned earlier - the game has changed and by creating this new position as a ‘ knife through butter ‘ attack player who cuts through a tiring opponents defense just before halftime and full time could be a great ploy .

I'm not quite as accepting of Dufty as you are Gaz- IMHO, I would be putting the newly beefed up Ramsey in a head to head with Dufty- give them half a game each at FB in the Charity Shield.

I'm sceptical that Dufty can get any better. Time will tell.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm not quite as accepting of Dufty as you are Gaz- IMHO, I would be putting the newly beefed up Ramsey in a head to head with Dufty- give them half a game each at FB in the Charity Shield.

Yes r&w4evr , I forgot that he has beefed-up considerably in the off season . Your suggestion would be a very good idea actually , as it would let Duffy know that he cannot afford to have hot & cold games - he would need to be at his best in each match .

Ramsey certainly does have all the attributes of a tremendous attacking fullback and will get that No.1 jersey at some stage in the new season .

I truly hope that he is signed to a long term contract sooner than later.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

He is 185cm according to google which is 1cm taller than Ponga or Tedesco so with a bit of beef no reason he cant be a topline fullback. He oozes X factor and is a country boy so will have that work ethic also.

Maddragon99

Juniors

For all the Dufty fanboys let’s get a few facts straight. The competition for the No. 1 jersey is already on. Ramsey is training the house down.

For all of Dufty’s attacking attributes his stats aren’t actually that remarkable & I don’t see we lose anything by starting Ramsey he’s a gun. Just as fast & elusive with a lot more upside.

-Dufty can’t tackle, his tackle efficiency is rubbish at 71%
-Dufty’s kick returns are rubbish, he ranked 34th literally thousands of meters behind Tedesco, Gutherson, RTS, Papenhuyzen, Nicoll-Klokstad & Ponga
-Dufty is very poor under the high ball, there’s no official stat for uncontested bombs but I think we’d be last
-Dufty ranked 18th (our best) in try assists but still behind Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson & Ponga.
-Dufty didn’t rank in the top 50 for line breaks but both Papenhuyzen & Tedesco had 15.

For anyone wondering, Hunt ranked 32nd for try assists & Norman was 50th. No wonder we sucked.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If almost certain Dufty will start the season at fullback and young Ramsey on the wing.

As with every player we have yet to see how they will perform under our new coaching team. Even the much maligned may surprise.

There is also now the real possibility that all playets who dont perform will feel the hook (so to speak) big names included. Hook only yas 2yrs at this stage, he doesnt have time to play players who aren't performing regardless of their salary. And where players end up playing will also be intersting to see comes seasons end, Dufty and Ramsey included.

Spazer

Juniors
For all the Dufty fanboys let’s get a few facts straight. The competition for the No. 1 jersey is already on. Ramsey is training the house down.

For all of Dufty’s attacking attributes his stats aren’t actually that remarkable & I don’t see we lose anything by starting Ramsey he’s a gun. Just as fast & elusive with a lot more upside.

-Dufty’s kick returns are rubbish, he ranked 34th literally thousands of meters behind Tedesco, Gutherson, RTS, Papenhuyzen, Nicoll-Klokstad & Ponga
-Dufty is very poor under the high ball, there’s no official stat for uncontested bombs but I think we’d be last
-Dufty ranked 18th (our best) in try assists but still behind Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson & Ponga.
-Dufty didn’t rank in the top 50 for line breaks but both Papenhuyzen & Tedesco had 15.
I'm a huge Ramsey fanboy actually, I've played his highlights reel at least 50 times already. I'm glad he's training the house down, it's good to have competition for positions for once. But on the topic of stats, Dufty has surprisingly made less errors than the fullbacks you mentioned. Also, he's in the top 10 for linebreak assists and top 20 for try assists (not bad for a bottom 4 team).

But as you said on the previous page 2020 is the past. I could be wrong but imo dufty will continue to improve as he has been doing and Ramsey will play on the wing as his strengths are perfect for that position.

Gareth67

First Grade

For anyone wondering, Hunt ranked 32nd for try assists & Norman was 50th. No wonder we sucked.

Good lawd ! You don’t have one of those ‘ Duffy voodoo dolls ‘ do you - the type that you stick all those pins into ? ?

Listen I am not a Duffy fanboy , the bloke is not the best fullback in the comp by a long shot , however he can win a game in a blink of an eye . There would be numerous NRL coaches out there who would love to have him in their team - even allowing for his shortcomings in defense and under the high ball .

You simply do not get rid of a player if he is not quite the right fit . A good coach will ‘ fit ‘ him into his game plan - ( yikes ! A game plan , I forgot that we now have a coach who actually has a game plan with an A , B , C and possibly even a D how bluudy wonderful ! ) .

I believe that most Dragon fans know that Ramsey is the heir apparent to the fullback position , it is only a case of when - as I had mentioned in my previous post - the good news is that the team has 2 very potent weapons that will bring plenty of points , you do not throw one of those weapons away because of mere statistics .

Last edited:

Crush

Coach

Lol.
At least the Dufty fan boys are basing their praise and criticism on 67 games of first grade.
The Ramsay fan boys like yourself are calling him the messiah based on 3 games of NRL on the wing, a highlights package on YouTube and word from whereever the f**k knows that he is training the house down!

ground zero

Juniors
Yes I remember Chris Johns.
From his début with St. George in 1984 until his retirement following 1996, he played in 223 games (52 for St. George, 171 for Brisbane) and scored 57 tries (7 and 50), winning two premierships and one World Club Challenge for the Broncos.
He would have loved playing against us.

BLM01

First Grade
If almost certain Dufty will start the season at fullback and young Ramsey on the wing.

As with every player we have yet to see how they will perform under our new coaching team. Even the much maligned may surprise.

There is also now the real possibility that all playets who dont perform will feel the hook (so to speak) big names included. Hook only yas 2yrs at this stage, he doesnt have time to play players who aren't performing regardless of their salary. And where players end up playing will also be intersting to see comes seasons end, Dufty and Ramsey included.

Dufty is training at f/back..except for poor trial form or injury correct DS, he will start 1.
I am too a Cody fan but he is not ready for 1st grade..not just yet, especially not as fullback in Round 1.
He had to build up..Yes. Still his body is untested WIWO not even at reserve level.
I believe he will start in reggies but be ready for the next call up.
He will play in the reggies / inexperienced player trial on the 13th Feb..just maybe at fullback ;)..or the one on the 18th V Parra.

Gareth67

First Grade
Tallis can go and get f....d He sat out a full year of footy.

As to the 2 others, yeah I agree.

Yes T.S - I will never forget or forgive him for that . The broncos must had approached him before he made his decision in the hope that the Dragons would not stand in his way by giving him an early release from the final year of his contract .

And perhaps an even bigger embarrassment ( to himself ) was none other than Anthony ‘ the Man ‘ Mundine , who actually posed mid- season in a Broncos jersey whilst still under contract to St.George - what a first class dick-head !
I often wonder if that was the reason he was such a 2nd rate fighter ? ? :flushed:

Latest posts