What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McInnes and Madge having breakfast together

Maddragon99

Juniors
Again, I see your point.
I hope you can see mine.

As an example, after nearly 7 years of showing he wasn't up to the task, I would suggest even given our financial predicament, sacking Mary would have saved us in the long run.

Yes the payout would have hurt, but the upside would have made up for that. Recruitment/ retention, moral, memberships, etc would have compensated the loss.

The club has been penny wise and pound stupid for 10 years.
Absolutely mate. I think we can all agree Hook has a huge job ahead to get a 7th or 8th finish with the squad he’s got to work with.

I do hope if we start poorly next year say 2 & 4 we stay patient with Hook.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
All your points are fair enough but in reality Hunt won’t ever play CC no way you’d risk a $1M player getting injured in CC.

Hook will give Hunt every opportunity at 7 if he does get dropped it’s more likely to the bench or extended bench.

The bigger question is can Hook fit Hunt/McInnes/Clune/Amone into the 2022 squad & the impact that has on the contract extension of McInnes.
Bennett dropped him and he came back better. I’m sure Hook has the nuts to do it.

TruSaint

Referee
Absolutely mate. I think we can all agree Hook has a huge job ahead to get a 7th or 8th finish with the squad he’s got to work with.

I do hope if we start poorly next year say 2 & 4 we stay patient with Hook.

Agree.

which is why I am pleased that Griffin got a 2 year deal and that "so far" he hasn't used the old rebuild phrase.

I am not sure he is the answer but I dearly hope so. He needs time to show improvement.

From what I have heard thus far, he seems determined to make us competitive, and make players earns their spot.

Refreshing mate. .

possm

Coach
All your points are fair enough but in reality Hunt won’t ever play CC no way you’d risk a $1M player getting injured in CC.

Hook will give Hunt every opportunity at 7 if he does get dropped it’s more likely to the bench or extended bench.

The bigger question is can Hook fit Hunt/McInnes/Clune/Amone into the 2022 squad & the impact that has on the contract extension of McInnes.
The answer is that he can fit them all under the salary cap and within the top 30. That is the only consideration right now. I would extend the youngsters contracts to take pressure off the alternative narrative, 'will other clubs target our young halves'.

kit66

Bench
If McInnes announced soon that he is leaving at the end of 2021, that'd be it for me if I were coach, I'd have him at lock or 2nd Row for the season and put Hunt where he belongs in the 9. No pandering to Cam to keep him happy. I know he wants to play Hooker and he's a fine Hooker but Hunt's better and you have to put the Team's needs first. Hook should ask him his intentions before kick off 2021.

I would be surprised if Cam decided to join Madge at the Tigers given the fact he previously left Souths whilst Madge was coach.

I would not consider paying overs to keep him because we have Hunt who can play 9.

This would give Hook the opportunity to play our young halves going forward.

possm

Coach
If McInnes announced soon that he is leaving at the end of 2021, that'd be it for me if I were coach, I'd have him at lock or 2nd Row for the season and put Hunt where he belongs in the 9. No pandering to Cam to keep him happy. I know he wants to play Hooker and he's a fine Hooker but Hunt's better and you have to put the Team's needs first. Hook should ask him his intentions before kick off 2021.
I wouldn't bother! It was bad enough knowing Frizell was leaving at the end of last season and that De Belin may or may not be avaial for this game or that. I say, let him go early, shift Hunt to hooker, Bird to lock and Clune to halfback. Sullivan will replace Norman if Norman does not step up.

getsmarty

Immortal
Rival team make McInnes top priority after Dragons skipper meets with former coach
NRL Premiership
feca218fb3547ac73311025f18b3a198

Cameron McInnes. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
The Dragons face a huge decision in whether to keep hooker Cameron McInnes amid reports a rival club is circling.

Wide World of Sports reported on Tuesday that Wests Tigers are set to make McInnes their number one target for 2022.

It follows 1170 SEN Sydney confirming last week that McInnes met with Tigers coach Michael Maguire at a cafe.

Maguire first coached McInnes when the hardworking No. 9 was at South Sydney, handing him his debut in 2014.

McInnes is off-contract at the end of the year and Fox League’s James Hooper reported earlier this month that the Dragons skipper was set to test the open market.

“He’s signed with the Red V for next season and will be there but beyond that there’s been some talk late this week that Cameron will go out and test his value on the open market next week,” Hooper told Triple M NRL’s Summer Session.

“I think we will actually see him physically go out and meet with some rival clubs for 2022 and beyond.

“He’s on the record saying he wants to play number 9, and I can totally understand that, he’s one of the best hookers in the game.

“But we did see this season just finished he had some success filling in as a small running lock forward style of role.”

While the Tigers obviously had a star hooker on their books in Harry Grant, he will be heading back to Melbourne and is a big part of their plans for the future.

The Tigers also have two promising prospects who could be strong options at rake in the long-term - Jacob Liddle and Jake Simpkin - so what do their stories look like compared to McInnes?

Liddle last year made a return from his third season-ending surgery, managing six appearances while averaging 49 running metres and a tackle efficiency percentage of 94.7.

He first made his NRL debut in 2016 but has been restricted to 43 games since, highlighting the tough road he has taken to surge on and back into contention for a starting spot.

He will face stiff competition from Simpkin, who has been highly-rated after joining the club on a development contract in 2020.

He helped the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls to the grand final in the Hastings Deering Colts competition in 2019 and is stacked with representative honours, having been selected for Queensland in the U16s and U18s side.

Of course, McInnes has the experience and hard edge that would be invaluable to a Tigers side that has long struggled for consistency.

McInnes was very highly respected by former Dragons coach Paul McGregor, who implored the Red V to make re-signing the inspiration hooker a priority.

“The Dragons are lucky to have him, and my only hope is they do everything to keep him. If he comes off contract there will be plenty of clubs after him,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald in September.

McInnes may be set for a positional switch at the Dragons depending on how halfback Ben Hunt performs in 2021.

Hunt is under-pressure to prove he is the answer at halfback, although he certainly has not been helped by inconsistent performances alongside him at five-eighth.

He has looked comfortable at hooker and could make a permanent switch if the Dragons struggle for form early in the year which would have ramifications on McInnes’ role in the side.

But the Dragons hooker is a team player and said last year when Issac Luke was signed to the club that he would also be willing to move to lock then if it was in the team’s interests.

“I don’t care, hey. We came 15th last year,” he said.

“Obviously I want to play 80 minutes, every player wants to, but I’d rather win before my personal agendas.

“If I have to go to lock, or if there’s some other role I can do for the team to get him out there, if he’s going to help us, I’ll do that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/795629d74be8f119ba025b4011254c05

Gareth67

First Grade
I wouldn't bother! It was bad enough knowing Frizell was leaving at the end of last season and that De Belin may or may not be avaial for this game or that. I say, let him go early, shift Hunt to hooker, Bird to lock and Clune to halfback. Sullivan will replace Norman if Norman does not step up.

No need to go to all that trouble possum , more so now that we are aware that the brekky with mad Madge had nothing to do with season greetings .

Perhaps it’s true that C ‘ref ‘ Smith will be replacing him :rolling_eyes: and if so we will be able to punt the hunt elsewhere - Happy New Year old son !

Old Timer

Coach
Ok to pander to Hunt though?

Now worries Ben at a $1m / season if you don't cut it at 7 we'll try 6, then 9 and if that fails we have the 14 option as well.

FMD no wonder some of our players might get disillusioned and dip their toe in the water.

kit66

Bench

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want him in the team for 2021 ( and beyond if possible ) because we need his enthusiasm and 50+ tackles but it's got to be on our terms.

kit66

Bench

Now worries Ben at a $1m / season if you don't cut it at 7 we'll try 6, then 9 and if that fails we have the 14 option as well.

FMD no wonder some of our players might get disillusioned and dip their toe in the water.

Pander to Hunt ? Too late, we made the offer and he took it now we need to make the best of it. Even so have we pandered to him, I don't think so. Hook will play him wherever he needs him to play - as it should be.
Personally I like Hunt and think he'll improve markedly under a real coach. I can see him hitting his early 2018 form again with Hook in charge and Mary, Hornby, Young etc just a bad memory. I'd also love to see Widdop back and Norman on his bike but that's just me daydreaming.

possm

Coach

A couple of bright officials at the Dragons did this deal with Hunt and we are stuck with it. There seems to be no other Club chasing him.

However, there are some players coming off contract and so, it is easier and sometimes more economical to let them go if they are not in our future plans or if the asking price is too high for us.

getsmarty

Immortal
A couple of bright officials at the Dragons did this deal with Hunt and we are stuck with it. There seems to be no other Club chasing him.

However, there are some players coming off contract and so, it is easier and sometimes more economical to let them go if they are not in our future plans or if the asking price is too high for us.

With all due respect possm, why would other clubs be chasing him ? He is under contract with us until 2023.
Happy New year possm.

Latest posts