What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

Well drilled and fighting fit, we have a half decent pack this year. I expect the sum to be bigger than its parts.

The side looks a lot fresher than this time last year and the depth is far more compelling.

Madge is a whole of squad coach, he likes to rotate where he can, because of injuries or suspensions, form etc. A lot of variables and mischiefs can befall a season.

Year zero is still 12 months away and you can see he’s adding youth and a touch of quality.

Mansour is a great player, but we can’t extend him for one year. There’s nothing casual or risky about that. I suspect it’s because we have our eyes on others we think are better.

Tiger05

First Grade
BJ is primed for a good year ...Roberts will pull the whole team forward. I wonder if Madge is still picking the team.I hope not. He’s a shit selector. He has no courage and takes months to realise his error..
We need a whole new way of doing it, I don’t think Mbye has the brain for 6 ..with Brookes that would be cumbersome. 6 needs a back up.
But with Madge it’s likely the same old shit somehow involving Mbye in key positions and prob captain
I’m still hoping for Mansaur and Nofo on the wings.Talau unemployed or maybe backup 6 Kepaoa at 1

I like Madge. I reckon he has suffered from not having that cattle but he sacks players regularly. I think Mbye can play anywhere but he isn't great anywhere. We just have to release him or pay him 300k at the end of his contract.

We have a bunch of decent outside backs and and forwards. I don't think Talau atm makes our top team but he has had some moments out there. I'd love to see him push BJ or Roberts out of the team.

I don't want Mansour because I think we are reasonably strong in that position.

Fullback is a problem. Mbye to me is our best option right now but maybe Kepaoa could play there. I saw highlights of Kepaoa in reserves and he appeared to be playing fullback a fair bit.

My jiu-jitsu instructor is their wrestling coach and I get the impression they are training pretty hard.

WA Tiger

Bench
I like Madge. I reckon he has suffered from not having that cattle but he sacks players regularly. I think Mbye can play anywhere but he isn't great anywhere. We just have to release him or pay him 300k at the end of his contract.

We have a bunch of decent outside backs and and forwards. I don't think Talau atm makes our top team but he has had some moments out there. I'd love to see him push BJ or Roberts out of the team.

I don't want Mansour because I think we are reasonably strong in that position.

Fullback is a problem. Mbye to me is our best option right now but maybe Kepaoa could play there. I saw highlights of Kepaoa in reserves and he appeared to be playing fullback a fair bit.
There has to be flexibility in the selectors thinking that’s how Melbourne unleashed Munster at 6 from originally being a 1. Momo’s got something Talau’s got something. How they both keep scoring try’s completely baffles me but they do so they have to be tried out in different positions. If it’s 1 and 6 so be it. Mbye has to be a last resort. He had one great break last year maybe 2. And tries I can’t remember any

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
The levels of faith I keep seeing in the substandard including the coach and some players (starting with Brooks) for WT from all quarters (throughout this last year hopefully not next year) reminds me of prayer meetings after a series of life changing catastrophes. Forgive and forget and this is just a test of our faith, with Pascoe on the pullpit.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't see a substandard coach. I see an organization turning things around. I think we are recruiting the right players and getting rid of the right players.

I also see Mbye as a last resort but we have to judge his ability fairly. He is decent in lots of positions. The problem is what he is paid and he isn't a gun player. If he was paid 300k he'd be a great squad member. Atm Mbye looks the best option we have at fullback assuming AD is playing at 6. To me it's a worry that Mbye is our best option at 1. Ideally he doesn't make the team because we have better options. Hopefully we pick up someone prior to the season starting that can play fullback and we just use and abuse Mbye by playing him wherever we need him.

I don't know how many more players Madge could have picked last year or not dropped. I mean he dropped Benji and Brooks but he had to replace them with Reynolds. He simply hasn't had the players to pick.

FFS the talk about Momo originated on the nrl site, see post #380.

It wasn’t for the season, it was for Rd 1 only.
It wasn’t selected by Tiger coaching team it was from some hack at the nrl site.

I don't see a substandard coach. I see an organization turning things around. I think we are recruiting the right players and getting rid of the right players.

I also see Mbye as a last resort but we have to judge his ability fairly. He is decent in lots of positions. The problem is what he is paid and he isn't a gun player. If he was paid 300k he'd be a great squad member. Atm Mbye looks the best option we have at fullback assuming AD is playing at 6. To me it's a worry that Mbye is our best option at 1. Ideally he doesn't make the team because we have better options. Hopefully we pick up someone prior to the season starting that can play fullback and we just use and abuse Mbye by playing him wherever we need him.

I don't know how many more players Madge could have picked last year or not dropped. I mean he dropped Benji and Brooks but he had to replace them with Reynolds. He simply hasn't had the players to pick.

That’s right, think about the deadwood duds Madge inherited, the aged, the infirm etc, the axe falls on over 2/3rds of the squad in 2 years. The whole of recruitment is summarily sacked. The changes come thick and fast, but results take time.

The scent of overs in Big Jim and Dougie but made up for by discounts in other areas, Muz and Nofo at least for 2021.

And the idea is to tuck away good young players into the larger squad, so when a couple of genuine Marquees are signed, you have a bench that doesn’t raise too many eyebrows.

And if the marquees don’t arrive, you need a team on the up and playing optimum. A good factory side will always a lazy premium one. Exhibit A = the last few years of Broncos madness. This is a big year for Madge which is why he cancelled the pre-Christmas honeymoon sessions in favour of f**king hard work.

People forget that the average nrl career is quite short. There aren’t too many hero’s around from the origin sides of a few years ago. Genuine Marquees are the exception and many players float up only to sink again soon after. It’s a art and a science. Sometimes you get lucky.

People readily forget our Recuitment Supremo is one of the best in the world with proven premierships under his belt. It’s not a drunk bloke with a dartboard breaking co vid rules at the mighty Polish club.

We will need a kicker and if Mbye wants to add significant value to his selection prospects, he should bring his kicking boots. Tie a ball to an ankle over summer, befriend it again.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
People forget that the average nrl career is quite short. There aren’t too many hero’s around from the origin sides of a few years ago. Genuine Marquees are the exception and many players float up only to sink again soon after. It’s a art and a science. Sometimes you get lucky.

I like our recruitment and this is a big reason why. It's hard to get marquee players. I think our best marquee signing was probably Lote Tuiqiri. We really haven't had much luck with signing marquee players. Some of our marquee signings have been our worse signings. Maybe they were good at some point and we paid for their peak ability and they didn't deliver.

I don't see any really poor recruitment or retention decisions now.

WA Tiger

Bench
That’s right, think about the deadwood duds Madge inherited, the aged, the infirm etc, the axe falls on over 2/3rds of the squad in 2 years. The whole of recruitment is summarily sacked. The changes come thick and fast, but results take time.

The scent of overs in Big Jim and Dougie but made up for by discounts in other areas, Muz and Nofo at least for 2021.

And the idea is to tuck away good young players into the larger squad, so when a couple of genuine Marquees are signed, you have a bench that doesn’t raise too many eyebrows.

And if the marquees don’t arrive, you need a team on the up and playing optimum. A good factory side will always a lazy premium one. Exhibit A = the last few years of Broncos madness. This is a big year for Madge which is why he cancelled the pre-Christmas honeymoon sessions in favour of f**king hard work.

People readily forget our Recuitment Supremo is one of the best in the world with proven premierships under his belt. It’s not a drunk bloke with a dartboard breaking co vid rules at the mighty Polish club.

We will need a kicker and if Mbye wants to add significant value to his selection prospects, he should bring his kicking boots. Tie a ball to an ankle over summer, befriend it again.
Blah blah..Cleary first year 9th ..Madge after 2 years 11th ..wtf is he doing.And unlike Cleary no clue how to unlock Brooks.And then re signing Brookes and then AD on a yet unfulfilled promise for god knows how much north of a $mil ...Blame it on the cap/cattle yea right. Those were key moments that a switched on coach would have handled better. Madge did exactly what Cleary did he panicked overspent and hoped like hell.

Recruitment is fine but selection is as important. Madge has no finesse there. It’s again hit and hope. Then keep hoping.
Why did it take so long to bring Momo on to become a try scoring sensation and goal kicker when we desperately needed that. Why hasn’t Nofo at least been tried at fullback such a key position. Why did it take so long to move AD to and from fullback. We had centres/wings waiting in the wings. Why did it take so long to bring on Talau as a winger and leave Jennings on the wing for s-o l-o-n-g. And then with Kepaoa waited until it was too late (although not such a biggy) Why has Mbye been kept in the picture like he’s JT without trying other options. Why wasn’t Brooks DROPPED and Benji and AD tried in the halves. Why did BJ fall off a cliff as soon as he arrived.

Regardless of how you’s think “dropping” players and working fkn hard at Xmas qualifies Madge as the saviour, the big problem he has apart from his lack of selection finesse is his lack of communication skills. Without that there’s not a lot of hope.
More selection / communication finesse and less tough guy would have made a difference to the bigger picture and imo got us in the 8 - we were 3 wins short.
Madge reminds me of Easter. Nail him to a cross and bury him. He’ll still get an extension.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
@WA Tiger - I don't buy any of your points above. Madge dropped guys left, right and centre.

One thing I agree with is that being a tough guy coach is not necessarily a good thing. A coaches job is to get the best out of his players and the team as well as build for the future. I don't think Madge has under performed on any of those criteria based on the squad we have. I think Madge and the club have improved significantly in relation to recruitment and retention.

I have a concern with the tough guy approach because I think it doesn't necessarily lead to results. Bellamy may disagree with me though.

WA Tiger

Bench
@WA Tiger

I have a concern with the tough guy approach because I think it doesn't necessarily lead to results. Bellamy may disagree with me though.
To me Bellamy and Madge are chalk and Cheese. Bellamy has a back up, softer, know when it’s time to drop the tough guy persona. That’s a trait all the super coaches have. Without that ability or that back up option that imo Madge lacks it’s an inevitable demise.
Bloore loves Madge So does Harry. These are kids that have all the energy and skill in the world. Personality wise both are tough stable compliant young and have not known any different. They want to be pushed around and don’t need a softer side. Not everyone is that perfect. For players at the other end of the scale re personality or whatever thats where the understanding side is needed. Unfortunately Madge only has one gear.

Last edited:
I like our recruitment and this is a big reason why. It's hard to get marquee players. I think our best marquee signing was probably Lote Tuiqiri. We really haven't had much luck with signing marquee players. Some of our marquee signings have been our worse signings. Maybe they were good at some point and we paid for their peak ability and they didn't deliver.

I don't see any really poor recruitment or retention decisions now.

I agree, it’s a been a measured approach.

Perhaps another measuring stick is whether or not the players we let go have moved forward since and in the Madge/Hartigan era we haven’t seen too much of that.

Blah blah..Cleary first year 9th ..Madge after 2 years 11th ..wtf is he doing.And unlike Cleary no clue how to unlock Brooks.And then re signing Brookes and then AD on a yet unfulfilled promise for god knows how much north of a $mil ...Blame it on the cap/cattle yea right. Those were key moments that a switched on coach would have handled better. Madge did exactly what Cleary did he panicked overspent and hoped like hell.
Recruitment is fine but selection is as important. Madge has no finesse there. It’s again hit and hope. Then keep hoping.

Why did it take so long to bring Momo on to become a try scoring sensation. Why hasn’t Nofo at least been tried at fullback such a key position. Why did it take so long to move AD to and from fullback. We had centres/wings waiting in the wings. Why did it take so long to bring on Talau as a winger. And then with Kepaoa waited until it was too late. Why has Mbye been kept in the picture like he’s JT without trying other options. Why wasn’t Brooks DROPPED and Benji and AD tried in the halves. Why did BJ fall off a cliff as soon as he arrived.
Regardless of how you’s think “dropping” players and working fkn hard at Xmas qualifies Madge as the saviour, the big problem he has apart from his lack of selection finesse is his lack of communication skills. Without that there’s not a lot of hope.
More selection / communication finesse and less tough guy would have made a difference to the bigger picture and imo got us in the 8 - we were 3 wins short.
Madge reminds me of Easter. Nail him to a cross and bury him. He’ll still get an extension.

It’s easy to criticise after the event and then speculate as to alternate histories.

The difficulty is that nothing you’ve courageously submitted has any basis in demonstrable fact.

For example, no one could say that if he gave the players more counselling and cuddles, the results would have been better. They could well have been worse. The point is that it is unknown.

Im not keen on going around in circles, but Ive made no secret of my support for Brooks whom in the main has held his own in some troubled sides.

As for where we arrived at seasons end, that has to be contemplated within the available talent. Now these guys earn big money in comparison to us and if Madge wants to make them earn it, that’s ok.

In any side, you are going to get pro-coach and anti coach forces. It came to a head last year with the rabble of the players liberation army. So far as I am aware, mostly populated by players out of form. Players like Allo and Nofo ripped into them.

At any rate, the rebellion was crushed and the core perpetual trouble makers have been moved on or given notice. The club said as much.

Any casual examination of the 2021 squad so far would appreciate its quite a different make up from the last few years. Not perfect, but significantly better for the season ahead and the future.....the future.

Madge got his extension and he’s not going anywhere. He doesn’t technically hit ground zero until packer leaves.

Ivan Cleary broke his promise and behaved dishonourably. Texting the players good bye was disrespectful to them personally. He could easily have had a gathering and exited professionally.

At any given time, you want Madge next to you in the trench and not Ivan.

Madge is well aware that his drive, ambition and work ethic challenges players. He admits mistakes, he cares, he leads. Using your history argument, he’s done it before....

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench

Why did it take so long to bring Momo on to become a try scoring sensation. Why hasn’t Nofo at least been tried at fullback such a key position. Why did it take so long to move AD to and from fullback. We had centres/wings waiting in the wings. Why did it take so long to bring on Talau as a winger. And then with Kepaoa waited until it was too late (although not such a biggy) Why has Mbye been kept in the picture like he’s JT without trying other options. Why wasn’t Brooks DROPPED and Benji and AD tried in the halves. Why did BJ fall off a cliff as soon as he arrived.
Ur right on the money.Madge has made numerous diabolical misjudgements & he’s proven to be a one trick pony & very limited with match plans/coaching strategy.Dropping Benji was a disaster as he was our only competent game manager & half of Benji’s team-mates took umbrage at him being dropped as he wasnt playing anywhere near as poorly as others in the spine.How in the hell brooks wasn’t dropped(from the 17) instead of Benji is mind boggling.The thing that’s most concerning about Madge’s fitness as a coach is him telling RF & Benji to advise the pathetic Mbye to relinquish the captaincy.It’s inconceivable that a coach would outsource such primary functions of his job description.
At the end of the day it’s a results oriented business where the buck stops with the coach.The fact that we’ve regressed & gone from 9th to 11th during Madge’s tenure is telling & certainly didn’t justify rewarding him with a 2 yr extension of contract.Nevertheless good luck to him in trying to turn the club around although I’m not overly optimistic.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
The game evolved from 2019 with a once in a generation pandemic bringing in the 6 again rule, covid bubble etc etc. Not using excuses but the style of play between the two years is vastly different and I don’t think madges coaching was very reactive to the changes...especially with the average squad we have.

the new game is all about speed and field position. Unfortunately Brooks can’t kick for field position to save his life & last year our fastest back wouldn’t be much chop even against a snail

The game evolved from 2019 with a once in a generation pandemic bringing in the 6 again rule, covid bubble etc etc. Not using excuses but the style of play between the two years is vastly different and I don’t think madges coaching was very reactive to the changes...especially with the average squad we have.

the new game is all about speed and field position. Unfortunately Brooks can’t kick for field position to save his life & last year our fastest back wouldn’t be much chop even against a snail

Yes. Speed and field position, so we need fitness rates at all time highs. So what does Madge do? Throws the lads under the fitness bus as soon as they arrive back from their break.

I would do precisely the same thing.

I’m not wanting an extended deterioration of their fitness before next year. An busy off season will add a lot of value in the early days of the season when other teams are behind physically.

We need to hit the season running!

It’s easy to run everything down and then afterwards stand proudly and say “ I told you so” after the event to an empty and broken hearted audience.

But it’s a lot more constructive and happier to find the good in the club at the moment and there’s a lot of it discover.

I get around the forum, if we think we are bad, look at some of the other clubs and their challenges.

The brave post-Mary dragons are excited about Bird ffs. He’d be lucky to make our bench....

The eels think they have a squad of elite superstars!

and on it goes, with the exception of the uber elites. Storm, Souths, Roosters. They build properly.

WA Tiger

Bench
I remember when we bought AD there was a moment there when things got stalled...It lasted long enough for AD to comment on it. The price would definitely have had something to do with it Then it went away..He was ushered in and please collect your money at receptionThank You
Qn: Who said no and who insisted yes for AD at that price.
And I suppose it was unanimous to get behind Madge with Brooks acquisition.I can’t even remember it happening..Madge would have liked it that way