What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine

Gareth67

First Grade
Bennie Briscoe says hi !
Problem with Mundine senior was very bad management & training from Ern McQuillan. Ern sent a very good boxer called Bob Dunlop who won the commonwealth light heavyweight championship to his professional grave by immediately taking the money for his protégé to fight world rated & future champ Torres, who murdered Dunlop and was not seen again. Yes , Mundine snr wasn't the greatest in taking a punch but his management had no idea how to pace their boxes internationally to give them the best career. Ern saw the dollars and put him up against "the wild bull of the Pampas " and again it was the end for his man.

Carlos Monzon (?) I believe was the gentleman’s name . Had served time for murder , as you said Dennis unfortunately for Tony his manager Ern McQuillian had eyes for the dollars . Bobby Dunlop rings a bell , the epitome of the all Australian boy come good , but we had many good boxers - some real sluggers on their way up in those years .

George Sancti

Juniors
Look I can understand where he is coming from , however Cathy Freeman comments were positive. Unfortunately the ‘ Mouth from the South ‘ is mostly negative in just about anything.

I believe what ‘ The Man ‘ truly needs to understand , is that he does not speak for the entire aboriginal community .

Anthony Mundine was a tremendous all round athlete. Unfortunately, he feels that he needs to be as controversial as possible to promote his fading boxing career. With his upcoming fight against Michael Zerafa, I have been expecting some sort of political or racial statement designed to attract publicity.

jeffdragon

Bench
Anthony Mundine was a tremendous all round athlete. Unfortunately, he feels that he needs to be as controversial as possible to promote his fading boxing career. With his upcoming fight against Michael Zerafa, I have been expecting some sort of political or racial statement designed to attract publicity.
He's never happy.
Always complaining.
Does the changing of one word in the anthem mean latrell and addo carr will sing.
I think not.
Cathy freeman was happy with the change.

merahputih

Juniors
Carlos Monzon (?) I believe was the gentleman’s name . Had served time for murder , as you said Dennis unfortunately for Tony his manager Ern McQuillian had eyes for the dollars . Bobby Dunlop rings a bell , the epitome of the all Australian boy come good , but we had many good boxers - some real sluggers on their way up in those years .
Gareth, I remember listening to a couple of Bobby Dunlop's fights on the radio in the 60's, along with a guy named George Barnes.

possm

Coach
He's still entitled to his opinion, as whacky as it may be at times.

But I think he's right about the anthem. Did anyone read the lyrics of Advance Australia Fair when it was adopted as the anthem in 1984? It's essentially about British superiority and colonisation..

Some will argue that it's better than God Save The Queen but surely we can do better than 'better than'.

Advance Australia was written over 140 years ago, and hardly reflective of Australia today. Yes, I know the lyrics are being altered, like one word at a time, At this rate we should get it right by the year 2270. I say we just ditch it altogether.
Maybe another anthem will be adopted when we become a republic. Hopefully all will be happy with that one.

Gareth67

First Grade

Zerafa ? That is the same slugger that had Jeff Horn well and truly beaten when they last met ( rematch ) , in fact the only thing that kept Horn on his feet was the blood on his boots had set hard as glue to the canvas and by some miracle of miracles he swung one last desperate punch that connected to Zerafa’s jaw .

Truly this will be Mundine's last stand as he has picked the wrong chap on this occasion.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Maybe another anthem will be adopted when we become a republic. Hopefully all will be happy with that one.
Republicans are waiting for Queen Liz to die before they can make their move. Meanwhile, every monarchist is hoping Chuck will die before Liz because they see Bill as their saviour.

This is the modern legacy of royal succession and highlights the absurdity of these born-to-rule inbreds.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth, I remember listening to a couple of Bobby Dunlop's fights on the radio in the 60's, along with a guy named George Barnes.

The name rings a bell - far off in the distance , a Victorian or Queenslander I am not sure , but the boxers in those days gave you your money’s worth . What about Sydney’s Italian Stallion , non other than Rocky Gatallari or his brother Lucky , the poor sod needed more than luck on his side as he was an abysmal fighter .

redv13

Bench
Zerafa ? That is the same slugger that had Jeff Horn well and truly beaten when they last met ( rematch ) , in fact the only thing that kept Horn on his feet was the blood on his boots had set hard as glue to the canvas and by some miracle of miracles he swung one last desperate punch that connected to Zerafa’s jaw .

Truly this will be Mundine's last stand as he has picked the wrong chap on this occasion.
Zerafa will destroy Mundine and knock him into 2022

blue bags

First Grade
Anthony Mundine calls Aboriginal-language rendition of the national anthem a 'tokenistic gesture' that 'rubs salt into the wound' of indigenous people whose ancestors were murdered and a new song is needed to make Australia 'one mob'
  • Anothony Mundine said the indigenous rendition of the anthem was tokenistic
  • The former footballer said a whole new song needs to be written in its place
  • Wiradjuri woman Olivia Fox sung the Australian anthem in the Eora language
  • Every player from the Wallabies learned the words to the Indigenous verse
By CHARLOTTE KARP and KYLIE STEVENS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Anthony Mundine has slammed the Aboriginal version of the national anthem as a 'tokenistic gesture' and called for a new song to make Australia 'one mob'.

Wiradjuri woman Olivia Fox sung Advance Australian Fair in the indigenous Eora language before the Tri Nations rugby union game between the Australia Wallabies and Argentina at Bankwest Stadium in Sydney on Saturday night.

Indigenous boxer Anthony Mundine said the performance, which was the first of it's kind at an international game, 'rubs salt into the wound' of first nation's people whose families were killed due to discriminatory racial laws before 1973.

Mundine calls Aboriginal version of anthem a tokenistic gesture

Anothony Mundine said the Aboriginal language version of Advance Australia Fair is tokenistic

The former rugby league player made his views known when he said the anthem is the 'theme song for the White Australia policy' earlier on Monday, and doubled down on his comments on The Project that evening.

Mundine acknowledged the 17-year-old's moving performance, but told hosts: 'I feel it was a tokenistic sort of gesture.'

'They're sort of rubbing salt into the wound, as a black fella.'

The 45-year-old accepted that singing the anthem in an indigenous language 'looks good', but said it was 'not the right thing to do' because the song has racist origins.

When speaking with the Herald Sun earlier on Monday, Mundine said: 'You can't just sing the same original text in Aboriginal language and think it's going to fly with people.'

'It got people talking but it still ain't the right message. It looks good and sounded good when the Wallabies sung it and it looks like they're giving back - but they're not really giving back.'

36476514-9020893-image-m-2_1607167419087.jpg

Wiradjuri woman Olivia Fox sung the Australian anthem in the Indigenous Eora language before the Tri Nations rugby union game between the Wallabies and Argentina

When asked whether tweaks should be made to the current anthem on The Project, Mundine said Australians need a 'brand new one'.

'Depending on the tweaks ... there would have to be major tweaks,' he said.

'I think we have to get a brand new one ... to recognise the traditional owners, the rightful owners ... and the diverse country we have today'.

He said Australians of all backgrounds need to be recognised in the song.

'One anthem for one mob. We're all one mob... but you definitely have to recognise the traditional owners of the land.'

Anthony Mundine (pictured) called for a brand new anthem to recognise the traditional owners

Mundine urged people who don't want the national anthem changed to research the topic.

'It's outdated, anyway ... [People need to] find out when the anthem was compiled.'

He explained the song was written in 1878, when Aboriginal people were enslaved, forcibly removed from their families and traded like livestock.

'The Advance Australia Fair isn't fair as in "fair play" and "fair game", it's as in the colour of your skin - being fair and white.'

'I just call a spade a spade. I'm just trying to make it better for future generations.'

He also congratulated Indigenous NRL star Latrell Mitchell who was also quick to slam the moment on social media.

'When will people understand that changing it to language doesn't change the meaning!' the South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL star captioned and shared an Australian Wallabies post on Saturday night, along with a face palm emoji.

36488728-9021925-image-a-12_1607204617114.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ition-national-anthem-tokenistic-gesture.html

Mitchell reiterated his feelings with this follow-up Instagram story on Saturday night

Anthony Mundine (pictured) says that while Saturday night's rendition of the anthem got people talking, it still doesn't portray the right message

He reiterated his view in a follow up Instagram story.

'Be proud but understand what you're proud of,' Mitchell wrote.

'I stand for us, our mob! Be proud of the oldest living culture. Always was always will be.'

Not all indigenous sports legends hold the same view.

While Brisbane Broncos legend Steve Renouf understands where Mundine and Mitchell are coming from, he has no issues with the anthem rendition.

'I think it was a good touch by the Wallabies and there are a lot of Indigenous people happy with that. Good on the ARU, they didn’t have to do it,' the three-time premiership great told the Daily Telegraph.

Mitchell is one of the most outspoken NRL stars who oppose the national anthem and is one of the main driving forces behind the push to stop it being played before games.

He also starred in this season's NRL marketing campaign with an Aboriginal flag draped around him.

Mitchell was among a host of stars who refused to sing the anthem at last year's NRL All Stars game or before the first State of Origin game a few months later.

'It doesn't represent my people,' Mitchell told Seven News last year.

The 23-year-old said he had a specific issue with the lyrics 'young and free'.

'We aren't young and free. We're the longest-living culture in the world,' Mitchell said.

'I guess just for them words to be in that, it just contradicts the whole anthem for us singing it.

National anthems were scrapped in favour of traditional dances at the annual pre-season All-Stars NRL game in February this year after a meeting between indigenous players and the NRL Commission.

'It's a step in the right direction, obviously the commissioner of the NRL had a meeting with us and he took the first step for us, and we can't thank him enough, and I think for us to get this it really means a lot,' Mitchell said at the time.

36488730-9021925-image-a-11_1607204600032.jpg

'When will people understand that changing it to language doesn't change the meaning,' Latrell Mitchell said (pictured with partner Brielle)

36488724-9021925-image-a-10_1607204559268.jpg

NRL star Latrell Mitchell had a different take to many viewers of the anthem rendition

'It's really good to see the NRL getting behind us and putting the front foot forward and letting us have our voice.'

The Rabbitohs star vowed to continue to speak up for himself and his people, despite being previously subject to racist abuse from online trolls.

'I'll stand proud, that's who I am, and I'm not going to change for no one,' Mitchell said.

blue bags

First Grade
The NRL has since declared it has no plans in following the Wallabies lead and will consult with its indigenous senior playing group, which Mitchell is a member of.

It is understood Ms Fox held practice sessions with the Wallabies players to ensure they knew all the words for the performance, to make sure the moment received respect.

Rugby union fans were positive about the national anthem, with many viewers welcoming the change.

Many claimed it was the best rendition of the national anthem they'd ever heard.

Samoan rugby player Paul Alo-Emile said the Australian anthem was 'great'.

'How great was that! Listening to the Aussie anthem being sung in the Eora language of the Gadigal people,' he wrote on Twitter.

'Inspiring stuff, well done.'

Influencer Elma Smit said she was almost brought to tears by Ms Fox's rendition.

Every player from the Wallabies learned the words to the Indigenous verse and sung along, leaving fans touched

36476108-9020893-image-a-27_1607165392632.jpg

36476116-9020893-image-a-26_1607169747498.jpg

36476112-9021925-Many_claimed_it_was_the_best_rendition_of_the_national_anthem_th-a-21_1607296744820.jpg

Many claimed it was the best rendition of the national anthem they'd ever heard

'Am I the only one who who got a bit choked up by Olivia Fox singing the Australian anthem in the indigenous Eora language accompanied by the acoustic guitar' she tweeted.

'Beautiful to see the Wallabies players singing along as well.'

'Just wow. Have never heard the anthem sung in Indigenous language. More of this please!' another user wrote on Twitter.

'The Australian anthem at the rugby was quite something,' another wrote.

'Best rendition of the anthem I've seen live. More of this pls,' one user said.

Ms Fox, from Newtown High School of the Performing Arts in Sydney's inner west, has previously been involved in indigenous culture alongside the Wallabies

Saturday's national anthem is the first time the joint-language song was performed at an international sporting event in Australia. Pictured: Fans singing along

36476516-9020893-image-a-8_1607167463925.jpg

Proud Wiradjuri woman Olivia Fox sung the Australian anthem in the Indigenous Eora language before the Tri Nations rugby union game between the Wallabies and Argentina on Saturday night

Another Twitter user wrote: 'That was the best national anthem I have heard anywhere.'

'Sing in both indigenous language and English. If this is available to purchase let us know.'

Ms Fox, from Newtown High School of the Performing Arts in Sydney's inner west, has previously been involved in indigenous culture alongside the Wallabies.

She performed the national anthem in the Eora language during the unveiling of the First Nations jersey.

Controversy has surrounded the Australian national anthem with many people calling for it to be changed as they feel it is not inclusive to Indigenous Australians.

When Kiwi sports teams take the field both the English and Maori versions of the New Zealand anthem is performed.

Advance Australia Fair in Eora language:
Australiagal ya'nga yabun

Eora budgeri

Yarragal Bamal Yarrabuni

Ngurra garrigarrang

Nura mari guwing bayabuba

Diara-murrahmah-coing

Guwugu yago ngabay burrabagur

Yirribana Australiagal

Garraburra ngayiri yabun

Yirribana Australiagal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ition-national-anthem-tokenistic-gesture.html

www.dailytelegra...https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/national-anthem-debate-anthony-mundine-slams-stunt-wallabies-anthem-splits-indigenous-footy-stars/news-story/31b8c59c186d4c33b654058ba858d7b5

Anthony Mundine calls Aboriginal-language rendition of the national anthem a 'tokenistic gesture'

George Sancti

Juniors

I agree with your prediction of the fight outcome Gareth67 and also Redv13's comments above. Regardless of my opinion of Mundine, I think it is very sad that he is permitted by the boxing authorities at the age of 45 to get into the ring with a much younger and fitter opponent who is likely to inflict serious damage to him.

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree with your prediction of the fight outcome Gareth67 and also Redv13's comments above. Regardless of my opinion of Mundine, I think it is very sad that he is permitted by the boxing authorities at the age of 45 to get into the ring with a much younger and fitter opponent who is likely to inflict serious damage to him.

Your absolutely right George , they should be horsewhipped for allowing such a one sided bout , more so as you have said - the age difference is massive as is the ability between both gentlemen .

Zerafa possesses a real killer punch , not dissimilar to another Australian boxer by the name of Hector Thompson who actually killed 2 opponents in the ring back in the 70’s .

I truly hope for Choc’s sake that he comes out of it without any serious damage .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mundine must be short of cash and knows he must take a little pain for his cash grab exhibition bout.

ALSGI

Bench
Hesitated before looking at this thread but was curious about what garbage The Man had to say ............ feel the same as I feel just after a rare KFC meal ....... disappointed.

I have this pic in a frame in my man cave.
42595B0E-62EC-4B9E-A424-03C8C8388C17.jpeg

Crush

Coach
Hesitated before looking at this thread but was curious about what garbage The Man had to say ............ feel the same as I feel just after a rare KFC meal ....... disappointed.

I have this pic in a frame in my man cave.
View attachment 44914
AL, I dont really have a strong opinion on Mundine one way or the other but do feel strongly about KFC.
Shittest food on the fast food market.
Their coleslaw and mash potato is some of the worst food I've ever put in my mouth.
And the chicken is rubbish, overly salty and oily. It stinks.

TruSaint

Referee
AL, I dont really have a strong opinion on Mundine one way or the other but do feel strongly about KFC.
Shittest food on the fast food market.
Their coleslaw and mash potato is some of the worst food I've ever put in my mouth.
And the chicken is rubbish, overly salty and oily. It stinks.

Yes, Choc debate aside... KFC makes my local kebab shop look like a michelin star restaurant.

Latest posts