What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

So we have just signed Simpkins (19 yo 2RF) from the Cowboys. Kane Bradley has been allowed to leave to an unnamed team. We still therefore have 3 players to sign. Anyone know much about Bradley? Is his departure good or bad? Any chance he has gone to the Riff and Laurie will now be released early?

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Defence has always been our problem, and yes Benji’s defence whilst never great is not the cause of us finishing outside the 8. Also, we haven’t had a great half back since Prince left, and then there’s our pack! Why is Benji being blamed? When he wasn’t with us we still didn’t make the 8.

Not saying he is solely to blame but playmakers should take most of the responsibility (yes brooks too)

Goal kicking woes have also been our downfall of making the 8 too. If marsters kicks that goal infront vs penrith thats an extra 2 points that puts us in the 8 for example

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
So we have just signed Simpkins (19 yo 2RF) from the Cowboys. Kane Bradley has been allowed to leave to an unnamed team. We still therefore have 3 players to sign. Anyone know much about Bradley? Is his departure good or bad? Any chance he has gone to the Riff and Laurie will now be released early?

Bradley was a player swap for Simpkins. Simpkins seems like a good prospect, 104kg and 6 ft 4. Originally from New Zealand

Anyone know much about Bradley? Is his departure good or bad?
Showed plenty of potential, a backrower who ended up on the wing and held his own.

Good or bad? We will never ever know but he has gone to a club with a coach who is a good mentor for the young guys.

Tiger05

First Grade
Have we ever looked this good in relation to our recruitment. I'm serious as well. I know we don't have stars signing for us but we seem to be picking up good younger players that may come good.

I know there are no guarantees but I can see improvement over the next couple of years.

Vic Mackey

Referee
NRL news: Mitchell Pearce, Newcastle Knights, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, girlfriend, sexting scandal, player meeting

Lachlan Fitzgibbon is a second rower, who may want a change of club, though tbh I don't know anything about him?

he's like Luke Garner, but probably not as good, great line runner, terrible defender and doesnt like the tough hit ups. has always come across as a bit of a cat, loves mouthing off and running third man in to todays 'melees.' 20 years ago he wouldnt have any front teeth left

Vic Mackey

Referee

Bradley was the one guy in out squad who was no chance to play NRL in 2021, with him gone we genuinely have everyone vying for a top 17 spot

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
he's like Luke Garner, but probably not as good, great line runner, terrible defender and doesnt like the tough hit ups. has always come across as a bit of a cat, loves mouthing off and running third man in to todays 'melees.' 20 years ago he wouldnt have any front teeth left

basically a mediocre version of beau scott

Fordy20

Juniors
Showed plenty of potential, a backrower who ended up on the wing and held his own.

Good or bad? We will never ever know but he has gone to a club with a coach who is a good mentor for the young guys.

He's a bit like Dylan Smith, couldn't get a run in a position where we are weak. He may come good later, but he obviously wasn't part of Madge's plans.

WT just parted with Grub,Josh Reynolds, unfortunately it didn’t work out for either party on the field but at least Josh was a decent guy off it and by all accounts a decent club man.Pearce on the other hand is another type of grub ,one we don’t need at our club.

stryker

First Grade
At club level, Pearce can play the game and therein lies the code’s frustration.

Having said that, he is an insipid drongo who surely must have used up his nine lives with his old man by now. The guy just cannot keep out of trouble. Complete man child, not unlike Carney.
He will join the 300 club soon and be the most disrespected member of it....all of his own doing.

Terrible legacy created from the ashes of a once promising career. Such a waste.

Tigerm

First Grade
From the other site.

NRL 2021: James Roberts opens up on Wests Tigers lifeline | Summer Buzz

James Roberts has spoken publicly for the first time since signing a one-year deal with the Tigers after quitting Souths at the end of last season.
James Roberts is out to resurrect his rugby league career, with the enigmatic centre declaring himself fully fit and ready to get back to his best.
In his first interview as a Tiger, Roberts revealed he had rediscovered his love for rugby league after a private off-field battle with his mental health.
“It feels good just to be back,” said Roberts, speaking for the first time since signing a one-year deal with the Tigers after quitting Souths at the end of last season.
“I think this is one of the most excited I’ve been about playing footy.
“I’m really looking forward to the season and really happy with where I’m at.”
Walking away from a $500,000-a-year deal with South Sydney after injury and COVID-19-caused isolation affected his mental health, Roberts began training full time with the Tigers last
week and was back in full flight for the first time since he suffered a season-ending injury in July.
“The body was pretty dusty at the start but it’s coming good now,” Roberts said.
“It’s been really easy to settle in. I’ve just been trying to make sure I do my best at training and that’ll lead into what we do on the field. I’m really into it.”
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the Tigers offered Roberts his one-year lifeline after the player personally phoned coach Michael Maguire.
Formerly together at the Rabbitohs when Roberts was an NRL upstart, the surprise phone call has reunited the pair after eight years.
“I’ve been really enjoying it so far — it’s been great to be back and under Madge again. It’s a great bunch of boys here and they’ve been really welcoming,” Roberts said.
“Madge has changed a bit since we first started but has been really good to me and the boys here.”
Jimmy the Jet says he’s ready to step up and become a leader at the club.
Roberts also hinted at becoming a leader at his new club after predicting an exciting future for his new team.
“There’s a really good group here and I think we’ll do something special,” he said.
“I’ve been trying to chime in and help some of the younger boys where I can; I’m sort of one of the older boys now which is a different feeling for me but it’s something I’m enjoying.
“It’s good for me to try and lead the way with my actions and help them with that.”
Maguire said he had been impressed with Roberts who spent three weeks with the club part-time before joining the full-time squad this week.
“He has done everything right,” Maguire said.
“And most importantly he looks happy. He has been buzzing about and getting on really well with the boys. He is happy. We all know what he can do on the field and we will give him the best opportunity to do that.”
The Tigers credited Souths with setting up a treatment plan and support system for Roberts that is still in place.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
From the other site.

NRL 2021: James Roberts opens up on Wests Tigers lifeline | Summer Buzz

James Roberts has spoken publicly for the first time since signing a one-year deal with the Tigers after quitting Souths at the end of last season.
James Roberts is out to resurrect his rugby league career, with the enigmatic centre declaring himself fully fit and ready to get back to his best.
In his first interview as a Tiger, Roberts revealed he had rediscovered his love for rugby league after a private off-field battle with his mental health.
“It feels good just to be back,” said Roberts, speaking for the first time since signing a one-year deal with the Tigers after quitting Souths at the end of last season.
“I think this is one of the most excited I’ve been about playing footy.
“I’m really looking forward to the season and really happy with where I’m at.”
Walking away from a $500,000-a-year deal with South Sydney after injury and COVID-19-caused isolation affected his mental health, Roberts began training full time with the Tigers last
week and was back in full flight for the first time since he suffered a season-ending injury in July.
“The body was pretty dusty at the start but it’s coming good now,” Roberts said.
“It’s been really easy to settle in. I’ve just been trying to make sure I do my best at training and that’ll lead into what we do on the field. I’m really into it.”
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the Tigers offered Roberts his one-year lifeline after the player personally phoned coach Michael Maguire.
Formerly together at the Rabbitohs when Roberts was an NRL upstart, the surprise phone call has reunited the pair after eight years.
“I’ve been really enjoying it so far — it’s been great to be back and under Madge again. It’s a great bunch of boys here and they’ve been really welcoming,” Roberts said.
“Madge has changed a bit since we first started but has been really good to me and the boys here.”
Jimmy the Jet says he’s ready to step up and become a leader at the club.
Roberts also hinted at becoming a leader at his new club after predicting an exciting future for his new team.
“There’s a really good group here and I think we’ll do something special,” he said.
“I’ve been trying to chime in and help some of the younger boys where I can; I’m sort of one of the older boys now which is a different feeling for me but it’s something I’m enjoying.
“It’s good for me to try and lead the way with my actions and help them with that.”
Maguire said he had been impressed with Roberts who spent three weeks with the club part-time before joining the full-time squad this week.
“He has done everything right,” Maguire said.
“And most importantly he looks happy. He has been buzzing about and getting on really well with the boys. He is happy. We all know what he can do on the field and we will give him the best opportunity to do that.”
The Tigers credited Souths with setting up a treatment plan and support system for Roberts that is still in place.
Nice.
If we can keep Roberts good and happy with Timana Tahu in his corner ...(a strong routine minded family man who would be respected by the indigenous players as an explosive outside back and an at the very top tier player who sacrificed for what was right for them by walking out of the soo team which I think did hurt him and his family) .
If Roberts gives us a good name and hangs around for a year or two then we should attract other indigenous guns in fact be their first stop coz.....
If we can keep Roberts on the straight and narro, then we must have a miracle worker at WT

Last edited: