What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

denis preston

First Grade
I don’t think he’s a myth but with Mary now gone and him getting to that age he really should be starting to challenge Vaughan as our best prop in the next 2 years or so.

He has to have a "break out " year and be in the starting 13 , otherwise move on. I acknowledge that it will be interesting to who in the side gets the most benefit from the new coaching team ( if not all ) so that always was going to be a plus for our 2021 season.

getsmarty

Immortal
26142886kerrj-try-celeb_2nh_3385.jpg

ALL STARS

Josh Kerr pumped for full house at All Stars
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 17 Dec 2020, 06:01 PM
kennedychris-head.png

Share on social media
The 2021 NRL season kicks off with the Indigenous v Māori All Stars in Townsville on February 20 and Indigenous prop Josh Kerr says it will be great to be able to start the year with a big crowd at what is always a special game.

With no restrictions on crowd numbers, ticket sales have already been strong three months out from the event. Tickets are still available from $25 for adults and $50 for families.

"It's awesome to see it back, especially after everything that's been going on," Kerr told NRL.com.

"It's two big strong cultures, the Māori and Indigenous cultures, I'm very grateful it's back on and can't wait to see if it's a packed out crowd.

"We're trying to get back to normality and to kick off the year with something that's a special game to all of us is pretty good.

"To get fans back watching football, it will have been a bit of a break between the last Origin and the next game. It's good to see things getting back to normal with the COVID stuff but even if they don't people sitting home want something to watch and what better way to start than with an All Stars match."

26099171kerrj_1nh_3847.jpg

Josh Kerr ahead of the 2019 All Stars game. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Kerr admitted it was strange playing to either no crowds or very small crowds as the competition eased back after shutdown but the Maroons squad member had the best seats in the house at Origin III in what was the biggest crowd in the world at a sporting event since the COVID-19 pandemic was declared.

"It was awesome to see the crowd really getting behind them and giving them a second wind. I love having crowds there and you don't realise how much noise they make until they're not there," he added.

Having played in the past two All Stars games for one win and one loss, Kerr said the best part was just getting to know some new players and sharing experiences with each other in a camp where the vibe is nothing but positive and respectful.

"Before I'm a player I'm a fan so to go into those camps and rub shoulders with those blokes I've always watched, blokes like Jacky Wighton, I was playing with Joel Thompson last year, it's crazy to have those calibre of players I get to go on with," he said.

"The best thing about it is they're all good blokes. You still get nervous, you go in there and don't know what to expect, they're high profile players and you don't know what they're going to be like, but they're just good people.

"That's what makes it such a good experience, you all want to learn culture, you all teach each other something different about growing up. Just going in and learning and being happy is such a great experience."

NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the level of interest in the match was very promising after 10,000 general public tickets were sold in the first week of sales.

"All-Stars is a unique event on our calendar and we are extremely pleased to see the level of interest it has generated in Townsville and the wider North Queensland community," Annesley said.

"It will be a wonderful week of celebration and community engagement and I'd encourage people to get in quick to ensure they don’t miss out on being a part of it."

Witness the best of the best from both sides of the Tasman. As athletes and as people from the First Nations

Hear us. See us.

Be there as cultures collide.

Tickets are available at NRL Tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/18/josh-kerr-pumped-for-full-house-at-all-stars/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Kerr enters 2021 on a high after Origin experience
St George Illawarra front-rower Josh Kerr has commenced pre-season training for the 2021 season following his successful stint with the victorious Queensland Origin squad last November.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/01/05/kerr-enters-2021-on-a-high-after-origin-experience/
Hopefully he really has his breakout year. Last year was his first proper full season and even it was a year where he alternated between the bench, starting side and not playing altogether. Hopefully this year they pick and stick and he finally starts to reach his full potential, he looks like a great bloke.

Old Timer

Coach
Hopefully he really has his breakout year. Last year was his first proper full season and even it was a year where he alternated between the bench, starting side and not playing altogether. Hopefully this year they pick and stick and he finally starts to reach his full potential, he looks like a great bloke.
Kerr & Vaughan need to find that steely hard edge required to make a good, tough front rower.

Hopefully Alvaro shows the way forward and they adapt some of his toughness, mongrel into their respective games.

Vaughan & Kerr have talent but that just isn’t enough on its own.

They need to know that opposition players are consciously looking to avoid them because they know that Vaughan & Kerr can dish out some pain in attack & defence.

If they can’t do that then our halves regardless of who they are will have a long season ahead of them.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Kerr & Vaughan need to find that steely hard edge required to make a good, tough front rower.

Hopefully Alvaro shows the way forward and they adapt some of his toughness, mongrel into their respective games.

They need to know that opposition players are consciously looking to avoid them because they know that Vaughan & Kerr can dish out some pain in attack & defence.

If they can’t do that then our halves regardless of who they are will have a long season ahead of them.
With all due respect, Vaughan has had one bad year for us. Every other year he's been one of the best props going around and been an origin regular. Im confident with a new coach and bit of support in the form of rising players and the new signings he will rediscover his origin form.

Old Timer

Coach
I
With all due respect, Vaughan has had one bad year for us. Every other year he's been one of the best props going around and been an origin regular. Im confident with a new coach and bit of support in the form of rising players and the new signings he will rediscover his origin form.
I didn’t say he wasn’t a good player I simply said he needs to get a tough edge to him.

Our forwards have been walked over consistently for 2 years and need someone to be able to dish out some real pain and when you look at the thin ranks we have Vaughan is the most obvious to take on that role as he had size & speed.

T Sims can’t be left on his own to do the job as he will be penalised to death and suffer further injuries.

Kerr & Vaughan wouldn’t intimidate anyone let alone the tough guys like Paulo, JT, Brown, JWH, Arrow not to mention the Storm & Raiders big boppers.

I want to see blokes crawl back to their feet slowly after our front rowers tackle them.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors

Good post OT. Agree.

BLM01

First Grade
I

I didn’t say he wasn’t a good player I simply said he needs to get a tough edge to him.

Our forwards have been walked over consistently for 2 years and need someone to be able to dish out some real pain and when you look at the thin ranks we have Vaughan is the most obvious to take on that role as he had size & speed.

T Sims can’t be left on his own to do the job as he will be penalised to death and suffer further injuries.

Kerr & Vaughan wouldn’t intimidate anyone let alone the tough guys like Paulo, JT, Brown, JWH, Arrow not to mention the Storm & Raiders big boppers.

I want to see blokes crawl back to their feet slowly after our front rowers tackle them.
Yes we really missed JDB in the middle. Unfortunately Graham was bit too old to be a menace and slow to take the big hit ups in that role

Kerr for me has still never reached or proven at Vaughan's level or a regular starting prop yet consistently. Lawrie had more fire and hit ups than Kerr to date

Coffs dragon

Bench
Just love the infectious enthusiasm in the way Josh speaks and not the standard dribble that seems to flow from players mouths.
The poor bloke has been hampered in the past with the abysmal coaching of McJetski & Young.
I’m expecting him to go to another level in 2021 under the combined tutorage by coaches Hook, Elliot & Gentle along with the Origin lessons in attitude under Bennett, Meninga, & Henry.
Onwards & Upwards for Josh from now on!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Just love the infectious enthusiasm in the way Josh speaks and not the standard dribble that seems to flow from players mouths.
The poor bloke has been hampered in the past with the abysmal coaching of McJetski & Young.
I’m expecting him to go to another level in 2021 under the combined tutorage by coaches Hook, Elliot & Gentle along with the Origin lessons in attitude under Bennett, Meninga, & Henry.
He hasn’t really had a good run yet. 2019 he got a run here or there, 2020 he got more regular game time but was still behind Graham and co. I’m confident the flogging Hook is giving them will get him firing this year. I reckon he’ll near make origin this year. That is my prediction.

Como Connection

First Grade
Yes we really missed JDB in the middle. Unfortunately Graham was bit too old to be a menace and slow to take the big hit ups in that role

Kerr for me has still never reached or proven at Vaughan's level or a regular starting prop yet consistently. Lawrie had more fire and hit ups than Kerr to date
Lawrie definitely more aggressive.
CC

BLM01

First Grade

Its funny in his recent interview he has been back 1 day?. and already he referred to how the culture is, comparing to his experience in origin camp under Wayne and then having a bit of a dig in a roundabout way, saying how it was different to recent years as the culture was just all talk.
Yep.. they were just following the old coach..as he used to do

You are right listening to the excitement in Josh..makes me excited about this year too.;)

BLM01

First Grade
The only minor reservation I have with Josh ATM after his recent interview is the fact that he thinks he needs to be a leader at training etc.

Josh has to be careful in his thinking of where he is at.
It is fine to learn from origin camps etc and bring the work ethic back to your own game but for me he has not earned the right to be some sort of leader at our club.
NRL clubs and players seem to throw the term "be a leader" "leadership group" around too loosely.
He is the 4th most experienced prop we have at NRL Level behind Vaughny, Alvaro & Blocker and if you add other more experienced forwards..for me he is a long way down the list.
His focus should be continue to learn himself and improve, fire up and bring any learnings into his prep, training and game day application but not worry about leading.
Take Blocker for example, has shown more than Kerr to me thus far without the media fanfare and rep jumpers, going quietly about his business.

I may be worrying for nothing as he seems very likeable and comes across humble but....
I brought this up because I simply remember Merrin when he was up and coming and getting all the media pats on the back and praise early on.
I believe it affected his game already thinking about reps etc, trying to be someone else and fancy in his game which nullified his real potential he had to be a long term prop, running hard, straight through the line and then looking for the sensible offload.
Merrin is not that old and he should be still in the back end of his prime as a prop.
So where did it all go wrong?...just my take

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Can’t wait to see Kerr develop now we have a competent coach. Was completely mismanaged by McGregor
Agree.

If he reckons the culture at our preseason feels like Qld Origin camp and is different to the previous ‘culture’ that’s music to my ears.

Yes I know we’ve all heard the toughest pre season ever, learned from last year, everyone’s excited and raring to go BS but this sounded pretty genuine and unscripted.

He’s very enthusiastically saying the ‘new staff’ are so much better without in his own words ‘being rude’.

Don’t think the old staff would enjoy watching that interview but I sure did.

getsmarty

Immortal
kerr_rc1_0242.jpg

DRAGONS

Less talk, more action needed as part of reboot: Kerr
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 6 Jan 2021, 12:29 PM
Share on social media
Josh Kerr is sick of the "empty words" from St George Illawarra and wants the team's actions to do the talking in 2021.

After disappointing finishes of 12th and 15th over the past two seasons, Kerr says it's time to put up or shut up.

"How many years, honestly, have you seen the Dragons say, 'We've got all these Origin players, how great we are', and we can't even make the [top] eight?" the prop said after training on Tuesday.

"That's the sort of thing I want to change. We need to actually start doing it instead of just talking about how good we can be.

"To be honest, it's embarrassing. We've just got to get it done. We've had a lot of experience walk out the door, but you look at Penrith and how young their side was and how well they did [in 2020]."

He may be reluctant to make any bold predictions on how the team will fare, but Kerr noted the good vibes under new coach Anthony Griffin and assistants Matthew Elliott and Peter Gentle.

remote.axd

Analysing the Dragons' 2021 draw

Analysing the Dragons' 2021 draw

The 24-year-old, who started his pre-season on Monday after a longer break, says he wasn't intending to disparage ex-mentor Paul McGregor but an overhaul was necessary.

"We weren't getting the results that we needed, so we needed a kick up the backside and a cleanout," he said.

"Pre-season's pre-season - you always hear about how everyone's dreading it, but everyone's loving rocking up. Yeah, it's tough as, but [the staff] actually make it more enjoyable by being more positive.

remote.axd

Dragons' top five tries of 2020

Dragons' top five tries of 2020

"Everyone's trying hard, everyone's doing it tough, and these blokes that are here coaching us and helping us ... I won't go into detail about years past, but you hear the old stories about [when] you're not doing so well, you're sort of getting sprayed.

"And these blokes, they're more understanding. It's a refresh of thinking, a new train of thinking.

"I don't want to go into detail or anything because it sounds like I'm saying how bad it used to be ... It's hard because I had a lot to do with Mary [McGregor] and I really liked him. He gave me my debut and he had a lot to do with me becoming a first-grader."

Kerr enjoyed a strong 2020 season despite St George Illawarra's poor results, earning a spot in the Maroons' triumphant State of Origin squad. He didn't play in the November series but won the Peter Jackson Memorial award for displaying Queensland spirit.

"It was honestly the best month of my life. It's literally a dream come true ... To go in there and meet those blokes and just to be a part of an environment that was like none other than I've seen before," he said.

To be honest, it's embarrassing. We've just got to go get it done

Dragons prop Josh Kerr
Having now played 27 NRL games and bolstered by his Maroons experience, Kerr hopes to step up for the Dragons and foster a similar feeling to the tight-knit Queensland camp.

"The boys have already started, they've already done an amazing job with the different culture that I've come back to," he said.

"I just want to try and be a leader as much as possible. I'm not a big fan of saying what I want to do, I'd rather just do it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/06/less-talk-more-action-needed-as-part-of-reboot-kerr/