What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is State of Origin hindering NRL expansion?

flippikat

Bench
I think in a way YES it is.. but not how many here may think.

SoO is a big earner for the NRL, and something the AFL don't have an equivalent to - to a lesser degree that applies with test footy too.

So, since AFL don't really have regular rep tiers above their club competition, they've worked hard to maximize revenue from the club competition. (That's all they've got!) Meaning an aggressive expansion plan to get maximum revenue from their club competition.

The NRL however doesn't face the same pressing need to maximize the club competition.. they can make a bit from selling rep footy too. Sure they'll try to get the best deal for the club competition, but there's no big financial pressure to expand to try and wring a bit more from broadcasting deals.. not when rep footy tops up their deal.

siv

First Grade
I think in a way YES it is.. but not how many here may think.

SoO is a big earner for the NRL, and something the AFL don't have an equivalent to - to a lesser degree that applies with test footy too.

So, since AFL don't really have regular rep tiers above their club competition, they've worked hard to maximize revenue from the club competition. (That's all they've got!) Meaning an aggressive expansion plan to get maximum revenue from their club competition.

The NRL however doesn't face the same pressing need to maximize the club competition.. they can make a bit from selling rep footy too. Sure they'll try to get the best deal for the club competition, but there's no big financial pressure to expand to try and wring a bit more from broadcasting deals.. not when rep footy tops up their deal.

Thats sounds like a good argument to split

TV rights for the multiple tiers

- Men's Club Football
- Women's Club Football
- SOO
- Internationals

flippikat

Bench

- Men's Club Football
- Women's Club Football
- SOO
- Internationals

It's also a good argument to split the revenue streams and direct the funds to the tier that they come from.

If the NRL clubs got grants that are proportional to the NRL club footy rights ONLY, then it would be in their own best interests to do whatever it takes to maximize *that set of rights* - which includes expansion.

Styles clash

Juniors

- Men's Club Football
- Women's Club Football
- SOO
- Internationals
It's also a good argument to split the revenue streams and direct the funds to the tier that they come from.

If the NRL clubs got grants that are proportional to the NRL club footy rights ONLY, then it would be in their own best interests to do whatever it takes to maximize *that set of rights* - which includes expansion.

They'll never split the club and Origin rights. They don't want the public knowing the difference.

siv

First Grade
Maybe just use the simple viewing audiance of SOO v a NRL game

eg 2.5 mil v 700k FTA or 200k PayTV

But with 3 games v 251 games even advertising revenue cant outstrip NRL games

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s a good cash cow for the nrl and state bodies so is going nowhere. It can be a great vehicle for exposing the game to new audiences but does make it look like the game is just a two state sport. It was interesting to see how much coverage it got when held in perth and how people at work who wouldn’t normally know the difference between union and league were talking about the game and picking a side to cheer on as neutrals.

It’s a good cash cow for the nrl and state bodies so is going nowhere. It can be a great vehicle for exposing the game to new audiences but does make it look like the game is just a two state sport. It was interesting to see how much coverage it got when held in perth and how people at work who wouldn’t normally know the difference between union and league were talking about the game and picking a side to cheer on as neutrals.
For better or worse, that's what our game is. PNG loves the game and has it as their national sport, but they're a third world country with zero ability to promote the game around the world. NZ cannot afford a competition of its own. England only has 40k players and is lightyears behind Australian RL. Without NSW and QLD the game would be dead. Most of the game's growth has come from ethnics in Brisbane and Sydney exporting the game to their ancestral homelands.

Perth has potential to expand the game's footprint and increase the talent pool. I wouldn't be upset if the Pirates were given the 17th licence ahead of Brisbane 2.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I personally don't understand how you could lay the lack of expansion at Origin's feet, but that's just me. It comes across as more-so raw pessimism from the NRL than any specific fault that could be attributed to Origin. As soon as the Western Force folded, it was entirely on the NRL's shoulders for not expanding into WA when they had the chance to capitalize than anything else. I still don't understand why they didn't. I can only assume they didn't have the funding to begin an expansion program into WA when Union was on its ass, and that raises any number of questions on its own.

I personally don't understand how you could lay the lack of expansion at Origin's feet, but that's just me. It comes across as more-so raw pessimism from the NRL than any specific fault that could be attributed to Origin. As soon as the Western Force folded, it was entirely on the NRL's shoulders for not expanding into WA when they had the chance to capitalize than anything else. I still don't understand why they didn't. I can only assume they didn't have the funding to begin an expansion program into WA when Union was on its ass, and that raises any number of questions on its own.
Origin helps promote the game into rusted-on AwFuL markets.

At some stage we'll need to add a team to Perth. The population there is big enough and their grassroots set up is developing nicely.

V'landys said the RLPA are worried about player welfare and stated a Perth team might have a negative impact on that with its 5 hour flight, so that's one potential road block. News Ltd and Ch9 are against it. I cannot see any of the 16 teams voting for Perth's inclusion. Until the game frees itself from the broadcasters then we'll probably remain at 16 teams.

Will you support the Firehawks or Dolphins if they're added in 2023?

Styles clash

Juniors
V'landys said the RLPA are worried about player welfare and stated a Perth team might have a negative impact on that with its 5 hour flight, so that's one potential road block.

If V'landys said that he's in bullshit mode (as usual). RLPA isn't going to oppose its members getting another 30 contracts.

Vee

First Grade
If V'landys said that he's in bullshit mode (as usual). RLPA isn't going to oppose its members getting another 30 contracts.
I remember the story, widely condemned by examples of all the other elite teams that travel to and from Perth. I suppose we could consider that RL is by far the most physical of the sports so that may have implications for rest, recovery and treatment of injuries.

ReddFelon

Juniors
The Perth travel argument is weak as shit. The Cricket teams, AFL teams, basketball, netball and soccer teams all manage. The rugby teams were moving across NZ, AUS and South African timezones weekly.

Diesel

Referee
The biggest issues with origin for me is sometime during round 1, the commentators on 9 will start talking about origin.
The second is there is a 10 day camp befors each origin while test teams assemble on the Monday for a Friday test.
I prefer tests to be played on Saturday or Sunday where possible.

T-Boon

Coach
Would increasing the quantity of contracts lead to the elite players taking a pay cut?

Yes and also coaches would take a pay cut because the same amount of over all money gets spread between 17 rather than 16 teams. The greed of players, coaches and agents is what is holding up expansion. Coaches and players run clubs and the clubs vote down expansion.

Yes and also coaches would take a pay cut because the same amount of over all money gets spread between 17 rather than 16 teams. The greed of players, coaches and agents is what is holding up expansion. Coaches and players run clubs and the clubs vote down expansion.
Which is why we'll be lucky to get a 2nd team in Brisbane, let alone one in Adelaide and Perth. Clubs don't want another competitor and less money and players on hand.