What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

eels_fan

First Grade
We can't use Jennings' money to sign a replacement for Jennings until his case is completed.
Yeah I know, but I’d like to think our recruitment team has enough forethought to have taken that into account in our off season decisions and have left at least some coin available for a solid back line purchase given the Jenko situation may not be resolved either way for many months.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah I know, but I’d like to think our recruitment team has enough forethought to have taken that into account in our off season decisions and have left at least some coin available for a solid back line purchase given the Jenko situation may not be resolved either way for many months.

It kind of hit pretty late notice, though...

I, too, would feel better with a more solid back-up to Jennings, over Oldfield, or Opacic, but I just don't think it's feasible...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The majority of our 2021 cap would've been spent by the middle of last year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Considering we already have Fergo , Jennings , Blake, Sivo signed for 2021, I am not sure why anyone wouId think we wouId have the ability to sign a top line back.....the best we can hope for until Mennings case is finalised, is probably a rookie with potential or an experienced journey player like Oldfield/ Opacic.

Noise

Coach
1. JAC
2. Hoppa
3. Cotric
4. Allan
5. DWZ

DWZ would be only player in correct position.
It also leaves no spot for Averillo who’d be a very nice pickup
What year are you basing this back line off? JAC is with Melbourne in 2021. And Hopoate is off contract at the end of 2021.

hindy111

Post Whore
Considering we already have Fergo , Jennings , Blake, Sivo signed for 2021, I am not sure why anyone wouId think we wouId have the ability to sign a top line back.....the best we can hope for until Mennings case is finalised, is probably a rookie with potential or an experienced journey player like Oldfield/ Opacic.

MJ wouldn't of been signed for more then 250k imo. So even when we get his cash I doubt it is going to be much more then that to spend on a centre. My guess is someone around the 300k mark.

Happy MEel

First Grade
MJ wouldn't of been signed for more then 250k imo. So even when we get his cash I doubt it is going to be much more then that to spend on a centre. My guess is someone around the 300k mark.
I mentioned this in another thread, but for $300k I would have considered signing Widdop to play 5/8 and moved Drown to centre. I think at centre Drown uses his best assets (running and defence)

84 Baby

Referee
What year are you basing this back line off? JAC is with Melbourne in 2021. And Hopoate is off contract at the end of 2021.
My bad. Thought JAC was signed for next season. Oh well hopefully Barrett is dumb enough to resign Hoppa

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I reckon it could be a bit more maybe between $300 to $400k.

it’s not so much getting his cash, it’s about not wanting 3 centres in the squad on $300k to $500k or so ( Mennings, Blake and a replacement for Mennings), it will distort the squad structure. Or What happens if we did that and Mennings is cleared ?

IFR33K

Coach

Fergo is on a reported $500k/year, Penrith could still be topping up Blake wage, sivo could still be on a modest wage as he was signed before anyone knew of him, and most of the forum were claiming MJ’s two year extension was a master stroke as it would of been a contract below his worth. I think we should of pursued a quality back and maybe not signed 1 or 2 of the players we did.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I mentioned this in another thread, but for $300k I would have considered signing Widdop to play 5/8 and moved Drown to centre. I think at centre Drown uses his best assets (running and defence)

while no fan of the Drown to centre idea, I suspect there is some “not reported in the media” issue that is stopping clubs from signing Widdop on $300k. Maybe injuries?

He is a fair player and that’s cheap for a half, gee Green can still get a contract at 34 (he goes ok).

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Fergo is on a reported $500k/year, Penrith could still be topping up Blake wage, sivo could still be on a modest wage as he was signed before anyone knew of him, and most of the forum were claiming MJ’s two year extension was a master stroke as it would of been a contract below his worth. I think we should of pursued a quality back and maybe not signed 1 or 2 of the players we did.

so the club should have signed a top 13 back, just in case one of our players is suspended for 2021?

If Mennings hadn’t been suspended, I reckon our depth and future options were looking good. Fergo / Sivo off contract so ability to go to the market for 2022, a rookie with some potential in Haze. Two depth players added to the squad in Oldfield / Opacic (not superstars but can provide cover) plus 2 very promising juniors training with the NRL squad.

84 Baby

Referee
Any Menko replacement we sign from when he got suspended was going to be a Waqa style pickup. And in our situation, it’d be a sellers market.
I think we stop gap with Opacic/Dunster at least to start season. Then hope, perhaps fast track, the Penisini is capable sooner than expected

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fergo is on a reported $500k/year, Penrith could still be topping up Blake wage, sivo could still be on a modest wage as he was signed before anyone knew of him, and most of the forum were claiming MJ’s two year extension was a master stroke as it would of been a contract below his worth.
There's no reason it should've been below his worth in 2020-21, just below his worth when we signed him (while cheating the cap) in 2016 probably on overs.
I think we should of pursued a quality back and maybe not signed 1 or 2 of the players we did.
The way salaries at the top end are so much more than the ones at the bottom end, a couple of backup players' salaries don't come close to matching the salary of an 80 minute top 17 player such as a centre. You need to remove the minimum salary from each player's amount when judging their actual cost, because the squad positions all need to be filled.

So a top 17 player on $300k (for example) is $185k above minimum. Two quality backups on $150k (again, for example) are only $35k over minimum each. You would need to sack five such players (replacing them with actual minimum contract players) to free up $175k to buy a top 17 player on $290k.

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
Couple of things on this...

Firstly, agree he would have been a great signing.. Alas, we need to look elsewhere.

The Doggies though - they've signed about 6 wingers/wanna-be centre/fullbacks that will be on the books in 2021, none of whom see themselves as wingers! They've still got Hoppa and DWZ too from memory. Could yet be a value pickup from there in the next few months.
None of those are value and one a Parra discard.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Precisely. Just cause he’s a decent runner doesn’t mean it’d work in any position. He could play there but I don’t think it’s his best position nor what’s best for the team

You only have to compare the time and space Gutherson is afforded on the left as opposed to the right to see what Dylan Brown brings to the table.