What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
so the club should have signed a top 13 back, just in case one of our players is suspended for 2021?

If Mennings hadn’t been suspended, I reckon our depth and future options were looking good. Fergo / Sivo off contract so ability to go to the market for 2022, a rookie with some potential in Haze. Two depth players added to the squad in Oldfield / Opacic (not superstars but can provide cover) plus 2 very promising juniors training with the NRL squad.

Sivo was horrendous. Fergo was out of form much of the year, and has been told he won’t be needed beyond 2021. Blake was probably the worst starting centre across the nrl. MJ has been stood down and chances are his playing days are over. Does anyone here not think we needed a quality back? I think we needed one even if MJ was free to play. Especially after we lost taka. I would of preferred a quality back over the likes of Cartwright.

84 Baby

Referee
Sivo was horrendous. Fergo was out of form much of the year, and has been told he won’t be needed beyond 2021. Blake was probably the worst starting centre across the nrl. MJ has been stood down and chances are his playing days are over. Does anyone here not think we needed a quality back? I think we needed one even if MJ was free to play. Especially after we lost taka. I would of preferred a quality back over the likes of Cartwright.
Looks like BA ignoring need for backs will be the new catch cry now that we have hooking depth.
And given our apparent need for those hookers, where exactly were we going to fit in those extra backs?
Lack of backs is only an issue because of Menko

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

you are missing the point, it’s not how they performed but the fact we already have 4 starting backs contracted for 2021 so there is minimal chance of signing another definite top 13 starting back.

What makes you think we could afford Another one?

We did sign a centre to replace Taka, Opacic

For 2022 there is a good chance of us looking at signing a quality back as Sivo / Fergo are off contract and Mennings probably won’t be here.

And we have signed 3 back rowers hipgrave, Cartwright and Issac. And yes I know you will question these signings, but what makes you think we have the ability sign top 13 quality players when our top 13 is already contracted?

Incorrect

Coach
I said it at the time that I thought Re-signing Jennings with that 2nd year was a mistake, drug bust or no drug bust. The doping situation has just made a bad situation even worse. Oh well...

84 Baby

Referee
I said it at the time that I thought Re-signing Jennings with that 2nd year was a mistake, drug bust or no drug bust. The doping situation has just made a bad situation even worse. Oh well...
I think dollar for dollar Menko would’ve been one of our better performers next season. But it’s moot now especially if he were juicing

IFR33K

Coach
Looks like BA ignoring need for backs will be the new catch cry now that we have hooking depth.
And given our apparent need for those hookers, where exactly were we going to fit in those extra backs?
Lack of backs is only an issue because of Menko

No need to turn everything into an argument. Were you happy with the form of fergo, Blake and sivo last season?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
FB reports Corey Allen has signed with the dogs for 3 years effective immediately.

would have been a great replacement for Jenko imo... if we run out with oldfield or opacic as top 17 players next year we’re screwed
Really??? His best posistion is fullback, don't see where he fit in our side. anyway. Centre is where we are weak Burns from Souths would of been a handy pick up.

IFR33K

Coach

Yep. Was insane signing tbh. Especially after the form he showed in 2018.

IFR33K

Coach
you are missing the point, it’s not how they performed but the fact we already have 4 starting backs contracted for 2021 so there is minimal chance of signing another definite top 13 starting back.

For 2022 there is a good chance of us looking at signing a quality back as Sivo / Fergo are off contract and Mennings probably won’t be here.

And we have signed 3 back rowers hipgrave, Cartwright and Issac. And yes I know you will question these signings, but what makes you think we have the ability sign top 13 quality players when our top 13 is already contracted?

So if I asked you two months ago, just after our season ended, if we should chase Cartwright or a decent back, you would of answered Cartwright? Just because we have 4 already contracted that doesn’t mean we can’t chase one more. If they get disgruntled, they could always ask for a release like they always do... I’m not sure opacic is the answer. Nor am I convinced about Cartwright.

84 Baby

Referee
No need to turn everything into an argument. Were you happy with the form of fergo, Blake and sivo last season?
Fergo was fine and I expect this season he’ll be somewhere between last year and 2019 performances after which he’ll move on.
Sivo was down but that wasn’t unexpected. Heaps of players have second year syndrome. If he gets back to 2019 form, great. If he doesn’t, at the very least if we keep him it won’t be breaking the bank.
Waqa offensively is good as long as he can keep his involvement up. Defensively he’s a problem but it’s been one year, hopefully this preseason we can fix his technique or decision making or both.
They’re here for another preseason and I think it’s an important one for BA to get right. Although I have a rumour that he’s probably safe until the end of his contract

IFR33K

Coach
Fergo was fine and I expect this season he’ll be somewhere between last year and 2019 performances after which he’ll move on.
Sivo was down but that wasn’t unexpected. Heaps of players have second year syndrome. If he gets back to 2019 form, great. If he doesn’t, at the very least if we keep him it won’t be breaking the bank.
Waqa offensively is good as long as he can keep his involvement up. Defensively he’s a problem but it’s been one year, hopefully this preseason we can fix his technique or decision making or both.
They’re here for another preseason and I think it’s an important one for BA to get right. Although I have a rumour that he’s probably safe until the end of his contract

So I take that as a yes, you were happy with their form?

84 Baby

Referee
So if I asked you two months ago, just after our season ended, if we should chase Cartwright or a decent back, you would of answered Cartwright? Just because we have 4 already contracted that doesn’t mean we can’t chase one more. If they get disgruntled, they could always ask for a release like they always do... I’m not sure opacic is the answer. Nor am I convinced about Cartwright.
Do you think Opacic is going to be noticeably worse than Taka?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Yep. Merkins complain our bench isn't strong enough but then expect us to fit eight first string backs under our salary cap.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
So I take that as a yes, you were happy with their form?
Well if you need it boiled down to the simplest terms, Fergo yes, Sivo no and Waqa no. Would you be happy if we sacked them all? I mean anyone in the team in 2018 would be insane to keep right?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Jennings' second year would've made the first year cheaper. And given his form when he signed he was definitely still going to be NRL quality in the final year of the extension.

Latest posts