What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soto

Bench
Fergo was fine and I expect this season he’ll be somewhere between last year and 2019 performances after which he’ll move on.
Sivo was down but that wasn’t unexpected. Heaps of players have second year syndrome. If he gets back to 2019 form, great. If he doesn’t, at the very least if we keep him it won’t be breaking the bank.
Waqa offensively is good as long as he can keep his involvement up. Defensively he’s a problem but it’s been one year, hopefully this preseason we can fix his technique or decision making or both.
They’re here for another preseason and I think it’s an important one for BA to get right. Although I have a rumour that he’s probably safe until the end of his contract
Firmly believe Sivo was fine until Parker from Manly put his life on the line and smashed his knee...wasn't the same player after that as must've been hampered by injury. Very little oomph in his runs and his contributions were down.
I think Opacic, Oldfield and Dunster will do a good job when called upon. Don't get me wrong if we cab can jag a good centre happy days.
We lost the Rabbits semi as we had our 2 starting wingers and starting centre out of the game and still put up a decent fight.
Take the 2 starting wingers and starting centre out of any team and see how they go?
We lost a lot when our starting forwards were going off last year. With the acquisition of Papalii, Cartwright, Hipgrave, Roache plus Kaufusi and Nuikore our bench will be stronger than ever..must maintain rage and intensity in the fwds before the backs can do anything..
Battle is always won upfront..backs decide how much a game is won by

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So if I asked you two months ago, just after our season ended, if we should chase Cartwright or a decent back, you would of answered Cartwright? Just because we have 4 already contracted that doesn’t mean we can’t chase one more. If they get disgruntled, they could always ask for a release like they always do... I’m not sure opacic is the answer. Nor am I convinced about Cartwright.

Ok so you want us to sign a back instead of Cartwright? Fair enough, who would you sign for the $120k we signed Cartwright for? Name someone available for around that price ?

this pretty much supports my point of view any signings are on non top 13 money .......we don’t have the capacity for a top line back signing thus the signing of cheapies Oldfield / Opacic...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Flintstone or Right Said?
Go the Baldies

tenor.gif

Gazzamatta

Coach
I reckon Opacic will be in SOO contention if he stays healthy. A strong player who is far better than a run of the mill backup. Im more concerned about the other three although I think Fergo will bounce back somewhat.
Sivo was definitely better in 2019 but has he ever shown speed or a willingness for big involvment? I hope for the best but comparisons with Semi are way off.
Waqa? Are we able to improve his defence and his combination with his winger? Big and strong and great potential but lacks fundamentals.
If we are struggling and Oldfield is performing in The CC I hope hes given his chance.
Any news on other CC signings?

IFR33K

Coach
Ok so you want us to sign a back instead of Cartwright? Fair enough, who would you sign for the $120k we signed Cartwright for? Name someone available for around that price ?

this pretty much supports my point of view any signings are on non top 13 money .......we don’t have the capacity for a top line back signing thus the signing of cheapies Oldfield / Opacic...

Sorry mate I previously mentioned a quality back instead of the 1 or 2 players we’ve bought. I’ve also mentioned Cartwright and opacic.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Firmly believe Sivo was fine until Parker from Manly put his life on the line and smashed his knee...wasn't the same player after that as must've been hampered by injury. Very little oomph in his runs and his contributions were down.
I think Opacic, Oldfield and Dunster will do a good job when called upon. Don't get me wrong if we cab can jag a good centre happy days.
We lost the Rabbits semi as we had our 2 starting wingers and starting centre out of the game and still put up a decent fight.
Take the 2 starting wingers and starting centre out of any team and see how they go?
We lost a lot when our starting forwards were going off last year. With the acquisition of Papalii, Cartwright, Hipgrave, Roache plus Kaufusi and Nuikore our bench will be stronger than ever..must maintain rage and intensity in the fwds before the backs can do anything..
Battle is always won upfront..backs decide how much a game is won by
I agree with all of this except the final truism. Individually the edge players are key to the team's defence, and the wingers are major contributors to gaining momentum through the middle. And finally, the kicking game plays a significant role in which team gets the most ball.

strider

Post Whore
So if I asked you two months ago, just after our season ended, if we should chase Cartwright or a decent back, you would of answered Cartwright? Just because we have 4 already contracted that doesn’t mean we can’t chase one more. If they get disgruntled, they could always ask for a release like they always do... I’m not sure opacic is the answer. Nor am I convinced about Cartwright.
Cartright is on pretty much minimum salary ... we already have 2 backs on that sort of money Opacic and Oldfella

Should we have gotten another back of similar standing instead of cartwright?

Noise

Coach
I reckon Opacic will be in SOO contention if he stays healthy. A strong player who is far better than a run of the mill backup. Im more concerned about the other three although I think Fergo will bounce back somewhat.
Sivo was definitely better in 2019 but has he ever shown speed or a willingness for big involvment? I hope for the best but comparisons with Semi are way off.
Waqa? Are we able to improve his defence and his combination with his winger? Big and strong and great potential but lacks fundamentals.
If we are struggling and Oldfield is performing in The CC I hope hes given his chance.
Any news on other CC signings?
Opacic for State of Origin? :joy:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sorry mate I previously mentioned a quality back instead of the 1 or 2 players we’ve bought. I’ve also mentioned Cartwright and opacic.

but that wouldn’t work, as we would still need to add players to the squad.

Let’s say Cartwright signed for $120k Opacic $150k, for a total of $270k. If you do what you suggest and not sign those 2, you still need to add 2 players to squad.

So say you sign one player on the minimum contract of $110k leaving you only $160k for the other player. What back wouId you get the $160k?

hindy111

Post Whore

Bryce costs 120k. What decent centre would you get for that? Most likely Oldfield. Anyone decent would want 500k+ We will have about 1.2 to spend once and MJ, Fergo and Sivo off contract. Could snag 2 x quality players and use Dunster on one Wing with Blake.

hindy111

Post Whore
I've never even Oldfield. But Mik who watches heaps reckons he is underrated and about the best back up you could have. And can do a solid job if need to play.
He reckons Bryce is a bust and is cooked.

IFR33K

Coach
Bryce costs 120k. What decent centre would you get for that? Most likely Oldfield. Anyone decent would want 500k+ We will have about 1.2 to spend once and MJ, Fergo and Sivo off contract. Could snag 2 x quality players and use Dunster on one Wing with Blake.

I mentioned two players. Only in that instance I mentioned Cartwright alone. I just really think we’re going to be really lacking in the outside backs.