What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You don't know the state of our cap nor do any of us. But, on the whole, you'd think the players we've signed are on less than those we've let go. For instance Alvaro was on, at a guess, $300k, whereas none of the forwards signed, aag again, would be on more than $200. Same with all the signings, we've delved into the bargain basement box and pulled out some real bargains. So I believe we have enough money to sign a quality centre. After that the 2-3 players we have to sign to get to 30 would be juniors on minimum salary.

If Roosters can have multiple players on $1m and 6 or so representative players under their sombrero and still have money to spare I'm sure we're in the same boat as I'm confident O'Neill is very astute with managing the cap.

First you are just assuming we now have the contract value of the players that left available for 2021 which isn’t how it works. The eels wouId have re-signed or signed players using what is actually available for 2021. For example signing Matterson for $500k or re-signing Drown wouId have used any available cap space for 2021 of the assumption player X isn’t staying

Second here are the players that left:
Kane Evans, Jai Field, Stefano Utiokamanu, Andrew Davey, Rhys Davies, Jaeman Salmon, Gower, Peni, Alvaro and Brad Takairangi.

Not exactly a bunch of players on huge money. Taka, Evans, Peni and Alvaro only players on anything decent. So hardly any indication we have much cap space available.

Additionally we have signed Blake / Matterson / RCG and re-signed Mahoney/Drown/Gutho (all on upgrades) in the last 2 seasons - I am guessing on the assumption on spending more on the top 17 then previous years and looking for cheapies / rookie to fill the squad.

on the Roosters who are the multiple players on $1 million? I am guessing there is only 1 Tedesco then a couple on the $750k mark Keary/Cordner/JWH. They also have cheapies like us.

84 Baby

Referee
You don't know the state of our cap nor do any of us. But, on the whole, you'd think the players we've signed are on less than those we've let go. For instance Alvaro was on, at a guess, $300k, whereas none of the forwards signed, aag again, would be on more than $200. Same with all the signings, we've delved into the bargain basement box and pulled out some real bargains. So I believe we have enough money to sign a quality centre. After that the 2-3 players we have to sign to get to 30 would be juniors on minimum salary.

If Roosters can have multiple players on $1m and 6 or so representative players under their sombrero and still have money to spare I'm sure we're in the same boat as I'm confident O'Neill is very astute with managing the cap.
It depends what you mean by quality. I don’t think we have enough to get someone at Menkos quality level. And the level we can afford is probably someone like Opacic. So perhaps the best course of action is to sign another centre like him and have them battle it out (although you can probably include Dunster and Oldfield in that battle already)

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
It depends what you mean by quality. I don’t think we have enough to get someone at Menkos quality level. And the level we can afford is probably someone like Opacic. So perhaps the best course of action is to sign another centre like him and have them battle it out (although you can probably include Dunster and Oldfield in that battle already)

We may also be happy with Opacic for a year letting the young players develop and have them come through in 2022. It'll be very interesting come March when we have to name 29 of our Top 30 to see if we upgrade any of the development players. Although there does seem to be talk of outside backs moving around: mansour, Allen, Burns.

InB4 "bA dOeSn'T uSe jUnIorS" in the pre-season of 2019 he was happy for Norman or Moses to find a new club and utilise Dylan Brown. If he deems the player is good enough he will bring them into first grade.

84 Baby

Referee
We may also be happy with Opacic for a year letting the young players develop and have them come through in 2022. It'll be very interesting come March when we have to name 29 of our Top 30 to see if we upgrade any of the development players. Although there does seem to be talk of outside backs moving around: mansour, Allen, Burns.

InB4 "bA dOeSn'T uSe jUnIorS" in the pre-season of 2019 he was happy for Norman or Moses to find a new club and utilise Dylan Brown. If he deems the player is good enough he will bring them into first grade.
Yeah that’s my thinking too. Unless suddenly a top centre is available at a discount or Opacic/Dunster turn out to be hopeless then I think any signings will be depth, although I think another big, dare I say fat, prop wouldn’t go astray

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

#IfBAThinksYoureGoodEnoughBAThinksYoureOldEnough

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I’m confident Opacic will be handy for us. Saw all his games for Brisbane (the perks of living up here). He’s a decent pick up. The question is can he stay injury free.

hindy111

Post Whore
last year we didn't have any jnr footy. Plenty of kids would ofmsoent the 12mths working out and bulking up. There could be a few suprise packets pop up.

Pazza

First Grade
I'm trying to think of the last time Parra developed a decent centre.....I'm coming up with a blank.... Ben Smith???

Noise

Coach
last year we didn't have any jnr footy. Plenty of kids would ofmsoent the 12mths working out and bulking up. There could be a few suprise packets pop up.
12 months without footy and top level training is detrimental to young footballers

Latest posts