What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

Yep, you're right. very rarely was Cam exciting to watch.

The excitement came from Slater, Paps, Cronk, Munster, Addo-Carr, King, Korobete, Waqa, Hoffman, Inglis, Geyer, Chambers, Folau, Asofa-Solomona and a string of other names with long highlight reels. Pretty much all Smith ever did was put the ball in the right place at the right time to let the other guys do their stuff. All he did was see opportunities and put the ball where it needed to be for his team mates to take those opportunities. All he did was put his players where they had space, where they could hit a gap, where they had the right angle to make an opponent over commit or commit to the wrong man. All he did was deliver the ball where it needed to be when it needed to be there.

That's all he did. For nineteen years. For Melbourne, QLD and Australia. And no-one in the history of the game has ever been anywhere near as good at it as Cameron.

No need to panic, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

My statements are my opinion, no one else's. I never wanted to watch a game because Smith was playing and that is simply a fact. I could name 50 players who I paid to see play Rugby League from the 60's till now, he isn't on that list and never will be.

It is, was and always will be about entertainment for me. Smith is not entertaining. He's efficient but boring. He would be an excitement machine in Rugby Union though, I'll give him that.

Saxon

Bench
Smith is The Rolling Stones of Rugby League.

Been around forever - check
Done stupid shit - check (Vonny hahaha)
Does job well - check

Ever be The Beatles?

No.
I see him more as the David Bowie of League.

Been around for ages
Forever innovating to stay ahead of the curve
Not locked into a single style
Hugely respected by insiders in the industry even though he divides fans

Would he want to be the Beatles?

No

Generalzod

Immortal

Been around for ages

No
Is he Even better than the real thing lol

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
I certainly think he would have improved any team he was in. Would he have taken cellar dwellers to premierships? I don't know, but imagine for example what could have been with some of those Warriors teams that seemed to have heaps of talent but no direction.

Imagine how he would have gone at the Titans where he was all but signed at at the end of 09 before an already 1m over the cap Storm offered him a contract that they were then allowed to honour instead of having to release an illegally retained player.

Been around for ages

No

David Bowie did Vonnie?

Smith not locked into a single style? Yeah, he's had 2. Wrestle and no wrestle.

Hugely respected? Hardly. Has diehard fans but they're mostly Storm or Qld fans. Has far too many wink wink nudge nudge moments in his career to be actually respected. I respect him about as much as I respect Julian O'Neill. Actually, that's not quite true, Julian was a bit more honest than Smith.

I guess he did ape David Bowie in a sense though, he had 2 premierships taken off him for cheating and was give a wooden spoon...And Bowie did Dancing in the Streets....

David Bowie did Vonnie?

Hugely respected? Hardly. Has diehard fans but they're mostly Storm or Qld fans. Has far too many wink wink nudge nudge moments in his career to be actually respected. I respect him about as much as I respect Julian O'Neill. Actually, that's not quite true, Julian was a bit more honest than Smith.

I guess he did ape David Bowie in a sense though, he had 2 premierships taken off him for cheating and was give a wooden spoon...And Bowie did Dancing in the Streets....
Julian O'Neill was more talented and versatile. He also knew how to get his name in the headlines.

_Johnsy

Referee
David Bowie did Vonnie?

All respect must go to J Latimore.......... end thread

THE CHAMP

First Grade
David Bowie did Vonnie?

Dancing in the streets was just as much jaggers fault as bowies

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Great passers of the footy really get me excited. Fitler, johns Lockyer. Smith is the second best passer of the footy I’ve ever seen. Only Thurston was better imo

blue bags

First Grade
Weight juggle behind Smith's No.9 call
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 14:09 AEDT, 22 January 2021 | UPDATED: 14:09 AEDT, 22 January 2021

Brandon Smith has revealed the stress of adjusting his body size to play two positions at Melbourne has contributed to his decision to chase a full-time No.9 spot at a rival NRL club.

The 24-year-old is in battle with Harry Grant to replace Cameron Smith as hooker this season, but if he should lose out to the reigning rookie of the year, he is open to moving on.

For Smith, the difference in ideal body weight between lock and hooker is about six kilos, which is a constant juggling act he's not willing to do anymore.

"I got down to 93kgs a couple of seasons ago playing 13 and it wasn't great," he said on Friday.

"I felt fast but I felt like I was getting thrown around a bit more than usual.

"I usually play at around 98 or 97kgs but if I was to be a No.9, I'm training to lose weight and be about 92.

"That's a big difference in weight."

Following the Storm's premiership celebrations, Smith had a frank discussion with coach Craig Bellamy about his desire to be a long-term hooker and whether it was a realistic option with the club.

But with the New Zealand hooker and Grant on the books, Bellamy couldn't make promises, so granted him permission to look elsewhere beyond the end of this year.

He will be free to leave should the Storm be given a player of similar calibre as a trade in 2022.

It's a decision Smith pondered over for a while, saying he was happy to switch roles while 430-gamer Cameron Smith was in the No.9 role, but he doesn't want to wait any longer.

"It wasn't a hard conversation (to have with Bellamy), I just said how I felt and he respected my decision," Smith said.

"But at the same time, he's a coach and his job is to put the best side out that's going to win a premiership.

"We both didn't see the point in me getting a release for this year with that spot still up for grabs.

"He said that he's not just going to give the No.9 jersey to Harry, or he's not just going to give it to me.

"We both have to go out there and take it.

"I respected what he had to say.

"One thing you know with Craig is he's going to be super honest with you, he's not going to beat around the bush or anything, which I respect about him."

The Storm's representative players returned to training on Friday, with former skipper Smith still nowhere to be seen.

His teammates are none the wiser on whether he will play on, but are resigned to the belief that if he does, it won't be at Melbourne.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-9174817/Weight-juggle-Smiths-No-9-call.html

Weight juggle behind Smith's No.9 call

blue bags

First Grade
NRL cancels registration of major agent
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

Controversial rugby league player-manager Isaac Moses has had his NRL registration cancelled in a development that could spark movement on the market.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-9225981/NRL-cancels-registration-major-agent.html

On Friday morning the NRL confirmed Moses' licence had been revoked for breaching his obligations as an accredited agent back in 2017.

The NRL alleges Moses counselled or assisted then-client Tim Mannah to 'give evidence to the NRL that was false and intended to mislead an investigation by the NRL integrity and compliance unit'.

However, his deregistration will cause instability for a substantial number of NRL players and coaches who are on his books with The Cove agency.

One of the most powerful figures in the game, Moses manages upwards of 50 of the NRL's biggest names including Cameron Smith, Adam O'Brien, David Klemmer, Tevita Pangai Junior and Mitchell Moses.

It's understood they will now have the opportunity to either cancel their contract with Moses and roll it over with another agent at his company, or find alternative representation.

Should they cancel their contract with Moses, they can pocket the agency fees they would have otherwise paid the company.

However, off-contract players will need to act quickly to negotiate deals for next season, which could affect any negotiations already underway with clubs.

The NRL has previously flagged a crackdown on the influence of player-agents in the game.

Prohibiting agents from representing players and coaches is also a priority for the NRL to prevent conflicts of interest and growing influence at clubs.

Share or comment on this article:
NRL cancels registration of major agent

Latest posts