What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

azzah72

Bench
WW84 - so disappointed...

really liked the first film and thought it was the best DC film since Nolan.

this was utter garbage... I actually think Patty Jenkins is a f**king great filmmaker... but I don’t know what the f**k this was.

The tone was odd... I could see she was trying to bring in shades of Donner’s Superman which considering the time period made some sense... but there’s better ways to give it that 80’s feel than making it camp as hell.

Taika Waititi’s Thor Ragnarok ran that 80’s theme much better by using visuals and clever use of synth in the score...

The story was a mess... in the end there was no real stakes... and Chris Pyne was really just used as a comedic plot device to play the fish out of water role...

the CGI was comical at times and I just don’t get what Jenkins was thinking.

she’s better than this garbage... atleast I thought she was...

Tend to agree, there's a great idea and concept in this movie but the writing is no good.

Biggest issue for me outside of the story faults is there was such little action.

In a 2.5 hr movie that could have easily been 2, was there 4 actions scenes in total? Amounting to about 20 mins?

A tighter story and editing, it could have been great because there was a cool idea in there but not to be.

Matua

Bench
couldn’t agree with you anymore... 100% spot on.

I’m a huge Nolan fan also... this film felt like he was being too cute with his theme/concept.

I think his strength as a storyteller has always been his ability to straddle that line between each of his films distinct theme/concept but also keep it grounded in a way that it never feels like you’ve gone full sci-fi... when in reality the whole concept is usually completely nonsense so of course it’s sci-fi... but he always makes it believable... if that makes sense.

he kinda went a little out there with interstellar specifically towards the end but I think he managed to keep that on the rails.

this kinda felt out there from the very start and just kept going out there... but not in a clever way like inception where the story twisted as you went deeper...

This one you kinda got the mystery and it was more about the set pieces and camera trickery...

IMO anyway...
The worst thing about it is that if it was just a straight up action movie it could have been class.

Nolan always threatens to disappear up his own ass, I think he did with this one, although I was happy enough while watching it and will probably rewatch it too. :D Better than Dark Knight Rises but probably only that of his films.

soc123_au

Staff member
Mystic River - one of those movies I’d just never got around to watching, I wish I had of got to it sooner I understand why it was so awarded at the time now. Interesting premise and gritty setting, story keeps you interested throughout and superb acting especially from Sean Penn what a beast 8/10

I saw it for the first time as well a few days ago. I remember the hype train when it came out & probably avoided it for that reason. I'm a dick obviously because like you said it was very good. I never rated Penn much originally, but as I get older I appreciate him more, very good at his craft.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Jojo Rabbit. Not as jokey as I was expecting (because of Waititi) but loved what it actually was. Emotional, dark, heartwarming and funny. Made me think about what WWII would’ve been like for children more than I ever have. Really good movie worth watching.

Matua

Bench
Jojo Rabbit. Not as jokey as I was expecting (because of Waititi) but loved what it actually was. Emotional, dark, heartwarming and funny. Made me think about what WWII would’ve been like for children more than I ever have. Really good movie worth watching.
I thought this was great, and actually hilarious at times.
The fat Nazi giving the kids the various weapons and bombs had me in hysterics.
Although, one of the guys I saw it with hated it, so it's clearly an each to their own.

Wizardman

First Grade
I watched "Last Vegas" last night. Great actors (De Niro, Freeman, Kline, Douglas) appearing in an unfortunately typical sterile American comedy. It was ok....but not gut busting comedy. 2 out of 5.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Kuso......wtf did i just watch.

Never seen a movie where not a single scene made any sense whatsoever until now. There was some serious drug abuse happening while writing this.

Styles clash

Juniors
End of the Century

Watched this after reading it's a time travel movie but my interpretation is it's more a slight fantasy movie. Certainly a "real movie" movie and a snug watch at under 90 minutes.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Mystic River - one of those movies I’d just never got around to watching, I wish I had of got to it sooner I understand why it was so awarded at the time now. Interesting premise and gritty setting, story keeps you interested throughout and superb acting especially from Sean Penn what a beast 8/10

Just watched this for the first time after you reminded me of it, it’s on my “to watch” list (and has been for many years). Very powerful movie and yeah, Sean Penn...wow, probably one of the best performances I’ve seen, in any movie.

Matua

Bench
End of the Century

Watched this after reading it's a time travel movie but my interpretation is it's more a slight fantasy movie. Certainly a "real movie" movie and a snug watch at under 90 minutes.

What's a real movie? TBH, the trailer makes it look like something the first year students at the film school I used to work at would throw together.

Matua

Bench
The Dry - Aussie thriller/drama starring Eric Bana. Was decent. Would probably have been better if I hadn't read the book, would have been quite harrowing in parts.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Green Book - exceptional film. Don’t think I’ve ever watched a movie where I have gritted my teeth in anger, teared up with emotion and laughed out loud multiple times.

I know it sounds strange for a movie that won Best Picture at the oscars to be underrated but this movie is. Perhaps not with film buffs but in general with the everyday punter, not many people have even heard of it let alone seen it.. tremendous shame.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Dry - Aussie thriller/drama starring Eric Bana. Was decent. Would probably have been better if I hadn't read the book, would have been quite harrowing in parts.

I just finished the book and enjoyed it. Movie do it justice?

Matua

Bench
No explosions, gun shots, things of that nature.
Well that's just a strange take on movies. Each to their own I guess ...

I just finished the book and enjoyed it. Movie do it justice?
Yeah, it's a good adaption, not 100% the same obviously and a few characters were completely different than how I imagined them (the look mostly).

If you want to see it on the big screen then worth going now, but if you're going to watch it at home maybe leave it a bit so you have a bit of a gap.

mongoose

Coach
Sweet Country - Set in post WW1 South Australian outback i'm guessing. About an indigenous man who kills a white fella in self defense and the local law enforcement go after him. A bit slow and understated but some beautiful shots of that part of the country.

shiznit

Coach
I thought this was great, and actually hilarious at times.
The fat Nazi giving the kids the various weapons and bombs had me in hysterics.
Although, one of the guys I saw it with hated it, so it's clearly an each to their own.
Yeah it’s polarising....

a lot of people I know absolutely love it... me and the Mrs thought it was abit meh... overrated IMO.

Being Kiwi and Maori in particular i’m familiar with nearly all of Taika’s work... so his humour falls right in our wheelhouse.

but Jojo would be well behind Wilderpeople, Boy, What we do in the shadows and maybe just ahead of Ragnarok and Eagle vs Shark.

But for a film who people have been telling me it’s his best... I just didn’t think it was that funny.

it had one REAL shocking moment... the ‘shoe scene’ but apart from that it was okay...

maybe because I’m more used to his kiwi/maori humour this was distinctively not a kiwi/maori film so the comedy didn’t hit as much with me...

Latest posts