What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Alintheeast

Juniors
Flegg is now u21's
Ball u19's
Matts u17

To make up for no comps last year
The reserves(NSW Cup) start same weekend as NRL but will be a 10 team comp run by NSWRL Non NSW NRL feeder teams will play in local comps. I haven’t seen the competition draw. Flegg will also be NSWRL managed but I haven’t seen any advice about schedules or start dates. There are only 11 teams in Flegg compared to 15 in Ball-and Matthews. Hopefully a Flegg or NSW Cup match will be played prior to Main Game. Wouldn’t want to sit there drinking beer and watch grass grow.

franklin2323

Immortal
The reserves(NSW Cup) start same weekend as NRL but will be a 10 team comp run by NSWRL Non NSW NRL feeder teams will play in local comps. I haven’t seen the competition draw. Flegg will also be NSWRL managed but I haven’t seen any advice about schedules or start dates. There are only 11 teams in Flegg compared to 15 in Ball-and Matthews. Hopefully a Flegg or NSW Cup match will be played prior to Main Game. Wouldn’t want to sit there drinking beer and watch grass grow.

It always seemed a waste having no curtain raiser. The issue for us will be so many Thurs/Friday games. Given part time players you rarely see Flegg/NSW Cup then as a result

Jane Murray

Bench
Troy WhittakerNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 11 Jan 2021, 08:00 AM

But for falling at the final hurdle, the Penrith young guns hardly set a foot wrong last season as an imperious Nathan Cleary led them to 17 consecutive wins.

As far as a stat to fix goes, not a helluva lot stands out.

The Panthers weren't at their best in the grand final defeat to Melbourne, so their biggest lessons may come from that experience.

Across their 20 regular-season and two finals games before the decider, Penrith's set completion was a league-high 82.2 percent.

That plummeted to 68.8 percent against the Storm on October 25, with 18 errors cruelling their chances to lift the trophy.

If the Panthers get another shot on the NRL's biggest day in 2021, they'll be desperate to improve on that effort.

stat-to-fix-panthers_20210103.jpg

Perhaps pressure was a factor. In the previous week's qualifier, Penrith completed at 72 percent against South Sydney. Then again, they went at 95 percent in a first-up finals win over the Roosters.

They led the way in a plethora of statistical areas, but the numbers that mattered the most were 26-20 - and Melbourne finished on top.

But such is the talent at the foot of the mountains that it wouldn't surprise if they grew from the heartbreak and returned stronger.

CCJohnC

Juniors
It always seemed a waste having no curtain raiser. The issue for us will be so many Thurs/Friday games. Given part time players you rarely see Flegg/NSW Cup then as a result[/QUOTE

Congratulations on your 30,000plus posts. Don't always agree but most are informative and not
trivial. Keep them coming.

MugaB

Coach
They sounded so awkward but trying to be casual. was funny.
I didn't see it that awkward, might just be the generation gap between the two, and how the occasional expletives fall out of both their mouths, i feel thats moreso the more forced part of the interview, again have to remember the "bloke" isn't really a penrith fan as much as we are, so he was throwing out the most generic questions

WestyLife

First Grade
I didn't see it that awkward, might just be the generation gap between the two, and how the occasional expletives fall out of both their mouths, i feel thats moreso the more forced part of the interview, again have to remember the "bloke" isn't really a penrith fan as much as we are, so he was throwing out the most generic questions
I mean it felt like they were stuck in trying to do an interview, trying to be casual and laid back but at the same time don't know each other that well so you could kind of feel it a bit. I enjoyed the interview though. Kemp seems like he'd be even better if he just fully committed to the "bloke" persona and don't stress being too professional at least to a point.

Jane Murray

Bench
Predicted Finish: 11th

Actual Finish: 1st

Fair to say I missed in a big way here. I had no idea that Penrith would be a player in 2020. They lost Maloney, their forwards seemed soft and I doubted Ivan Cleary. Which sides shall I enjoy with my serving of crow?

1. Highlights
– Record Win Streak: One loss all season. In 2020, that should be impossible. Yes, the season was four or five rounds shorter than the regular NRL season but given everything that this season has thrown up, I still can’t believe the fact the Panthers went 20 rounds with one loss and one draw. To say that 17 wins in a row in this era is a difficult task is a drastic understatement. Six points was their biggest losing margin in 2020. That surely won’t be repeated any time soon.

– Didn’t fold in the finals: How many times have we seen teams run through the final rounds, or even the majority of the regular season, only to falter in the finals? There were whispers that Penrith may be unable to lift that extra gear that the likes of the Roosters and Storm have in them come the knock out stages. Despite losing the decider, it’s fair to say that the Panthers were not overawed by the pressure of finals. They won a thriller of a Prelim a week after holding off the fast-finishing Roosters in round one of the finals.

– Distractions? Never heard of them: The Panthers started the season win two straight wins and were looking pretty polished considering. Then came the Covid break that could have absolutely ruined the momentum of a lesser side. Not only did everything grind to a haunt, but their superstar halfback was dragged through the media and then suspended after breaking rules re social distancing on social media. The came the bubble breach of young star Charlie Staines following his incredible debut. These distractions had every right to lead to a loss of form. They didn’t.

– Almost impossible defence: The Panthers scored points for fun in 2020, however they build their incredible season on defence. They conceded only 238 points across the 20 regular season games. That’s less than 12 points per game. You don’t need me to point out how difficult it is to beat a team who is conceding less than two converted tries per game. They were 38 points better off than the next best defensive side, the Melbourne Storm. That’s three games worth of conceded points!!!

Watch Zero Tackle’s own Dan Nichols over at Rugby League Outlaws

GettyImages-1149761071-696x464.jpg

The_Frog

First Grade
Every year a team comes from nowhere to be a contender. The hard part is picking which team it will be this year.

roofromoz

First Grade
Been doing a bit of research over the off-season - I wasn't a fan in 1990/91, but reading this I didn't know that the shedding of the brown and white that was soon after the 1990 grand final...

PENRITH AT LAST LOOK LIKE REAL PANTHERS - LEAGUE
September 27, 1990 | Sydney Morning Herald, The (Australia)
Author: COL ALLISON

After 23 years, the PenrithPanthers have given their drab brown and white colours the boot to boost the club's share of the $50-million-a-year Rugby League products' merchandising cake.

The team will run on to the field next year wearing black shorts and either a black or white jersey trimmed with red, green and gold.

Though this will drop-kick the unmerciful "Chocolate Soldiers" tag, already some cynics have nicknamed the new-look team the "Licorice Allsorts".

The new colours were unveiled at Penrith Leagues Club yesterday when the media was treated to a parade by surprisingly jovial players, still bruised and battered from last Sunday's battle with the Canberra Raiders.

Showing off their new uniforms and walking-out gear were four Kangaroo tourists-Greg Alexander ("Yeah, I was disappointed with the way the ball bounced on Sunday; it cost us the game"), Brad Fittler, the "terror twins"Mark Geyer and John Cartwright, backed up by Col Bentley and Brad Izzard.

The chief executive of the Penrith Rugby League Club, Roger Cowan, said that few mourned the passing of the brown and white.

It was strange, he said, that Penrith ever played in those unpopular colours. In the second division competition the team wore blue and white, while Cronulla decked out in brown and gold.

But Cronulla got in first and asked for blue for its first grade.

Cowan said the growth of merchandise marketing in the past decade under the Rugby League administration had made the change necessary.

He said: "Because of the unwillingness of manufacturers to develop and market products in the unfashionable brown and white accommodation, Panthers'percentage of the $50 million growth sector was falling behind ... in some products, Panthers' merchandising sold only 30 per cent of figures achieved by other clubs.

"Test marketing of the basic black colour achieved a dramatic reversal of that trend."

If money and marketing were the motives for change, tradition and patriotism were the inspiration of the new team colours.

"Our first principle was to match up with the colour image of black for Panthers," Cowan said. "Then the white of the teeth and red tongue of our ferocious Panther logo was added with the patriotic touch of the green and gold of Australia."

If the blend sounds like the result of a bomb in a Smarties' factory, just about everyone present agreed the result was quite pleasing.

Coach Phil Gould, when asked to comment on the "Licorice Allsorts" remarks, grumbled, "I don't think they'll be mocking us for very long. We're goin' to win next year."

Brad Izzard thought the new colours looked terrific, while Alexander-presented last night with the Panthers' major award for first-grade player of the year-said the new colours would give the team fresh inspiration

Perhaps the ultimate test for the colours was to run them past Panther fan Graham Shirley, who cut short an 18-month European holiday to fly home last Friday to watch the match on TV. "I don't give a bugger if they run out stark naked next year, just as long as they bloody well win," he said.

Caption:

Illus: Chocolate soldiers laid to rest ... Penrith stars John Cartwright, left, Brad Izzard, Brad Fittler, Mark Geyer, Col Bentley and Greg Alexander display the new uniform. Picture by TROY HOWE

----

Found this on a news archive site, but just text - no photo unfortunately.

MugaB

Coach
Our first principle was to match up with the colour image of black for Panthers," Cowan said. "Then the white of the teeth and red tongue of our ferocious Panther logo was added with the patriotic touch of the green and gold of Australia.

I've been forever trying to find out what the red, gold, green strips represented, well done RooFromOZ
Thanks, maybe now you can change your name to suit this reason = RifFromOZ

Abacus

Juniors
Scroll forward to about 2:15 - it made it's "debut" in Round 1 of the Lotto Challenge (pre season) versus Souths.

So many memories. I think I was at the Eels-Sharks game at the WACA and the Broncos-Tigers highlights was like I'd watched it yesterday. Hard to believe its been 30 years. Thanks for posting Roo.

betcats

Referee
Jeromes bday today, critta posted a happy birthday day message and finished it with “jobs not done we coming in hot”. That’s the attitude we want, It’s getting me excited to see these kids tear it up this season.

WestyLife

First Grade
Jeromes bday today, critta posted a happy birthday day message and finished it with “jobs not done we coming in hot”. That’s the attitude we want, It’s getting me excited to see these kids tear it up this season.
Nah Crichton's going to the Tigers :p

Good to see the boys ready to rip in and being committed.

Whino

Bench
Obviously they need another hooker if Madge is off with their current one

McCullough is past it. No one wants him.
If McInnes is gone, They would be better of recruiting a rookie to share the role with Ben Hunt, whose best position is hooker.