What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
All good if true in terms of the contract amounts and I never truly believe the media.

I only emphasise what I have said from months ago the exit of Josh Mansour has been poorly handled and a club legend, in my eyes anyway, deserved far better.
I'm not debating Mansour's contribution to the club. He has a well earned love from the fans. Not a lot the club could've done better though. If they told him earlier it gets blamed for interrupting the season. There was no winning for either side in the situation.

WestyLife

First Grade
His manager put early feelers out. The usual he is coming off contract. He wants to stay where are we at? This was during the season.
They possibly could have told him then. But the future in Staines was in the midst of a standoff with the club. Manager driven. Need to wait.

Staines hadn't been retained and it was looking doubtful.

The club kicked the Mansour can down the road with the finals not too far away.
They had other players to retain and would get back to him.
It was early stages. Not unusual with contracts.

By the time Staines re-signed during the finals. They had no choice to wait until end of the season.

After the GF he hadn't heard anything, then the club contacted him for a chat.

In a nutshell he could have been told mid-season but the club wanted Staines tied up.
Nothing wrong with that in my mind. Managers play their games and the club has to see where the cards fall as they have to manage a 30 man roster under a salary cap.

It would appear to me that the problem for Mansour is when the conversation was done and what that means. If you tell a player two days after a GF (no doubt still feeling shit after such a close loss) you are going to be playing reserve grade next season that would indicate we want you gone next year so we are giving you lots of opportunity to find yourself a new club -no doubt salary cap inspired due such a successful season. If you want him to stay you tell him in preseason. He can then train hard and try to fight for his spot. I have no doubt Mansour would have been expecting this situation coming into the last tear of his contract at his age. It sounds like it should, and could, have been handled better.

WestyLife

First Grade
People are forgetting that the GF in a normal year is 3 or 4 weeks before the Nov 1 deadline for negotiations to start BUT with the covid break there was only a week or so to let him focus on finals and tell him so he could get into a deal worth the right amount of years/dollars for him. you tell him earlier and you get accused of messing him up mentally for the season and you tell him later you've robbed him of a shot at a multi year deal starting 2022.

ALSO fans are looking at this from an emotional perspective which is understandable but it's a multi million dollar business. They don't look at things like us and shouldn't.

franklin2323

Immortal
It would appear to me that the problem for Mansour is when the conversation was done and what that means. If you tell a player two days after a GF (no doubt still feeling shit after such a close loss) you are going to be playing reserve grade next season that would indicate we want you gone next year so we are giving you lots of opportunity to find yourself a new club -no doubt salary cap inspired due such a successful season. If you want him to stay you tell him in preseason. He can then train hard and try to fight for his spot. I have no doubt Mansour would have been expecting this situation coming into the last tear of his contract at his age. It sounds like it should, and could, have been handled better.

I was 2 days after a GF BUT a week before Nov 1. In a normal year it wouldn't rate a mention. You need to give guys as much time as possible to find a new home

franklin2323

Immortal
People are forgetting that the GF in a normal year is 3 or 4 weeks before the Nov 1 deadline for negotiations to start BUT with the covid break there was only a week or so to let him focus on finals and tell him so he could get into a deal worth the right amount of years/dollars for him. you tell him earlier and you get accused of messing him up mentally for the season and you tell him later you've robbed him of a shot at a multi year deal starting 2022.

ALSO fans are looking at this from an emotional perspective which is understandable but it's a multi million dollar business. They don't look at things like us and shouldn't.

I want to win above all else. There a better options for 2022 atleast and so need to break the news sometime

Original Name

Juniors
Blade you've said in the past the cap gets really tight post 2021 and you're worried. Do you know if we've released enough or not re-signed enough players that the situation doesn't look as grim?

Panther Mick

Juniors
People only think Sauce has been poorly handled because he blew up like a baby and now it’s dragging out. Dozens of players would of had the same chat last year and they all handled it with more class than Josh.

That is a bit strong. There was nothing in that Danny Weidler article that offended me or came across as a dummy spit.
People keep over exaggeratimg his response. He didn't do a Aloaia or Matterson "Trumpertantrum"

No one likes hearing they have gotten the sack or a tap on the shoulder.

End of the day this all about money. If Mansour wasn't on $500k a year but on $250k we wouldn't be having this conversation. They probably would have left him alone.

Reading between the lines it is clear that the club is desperately in a jam for money to retain the young players.
To upgrade their deals this year (as Blade has hinted ) as well as extending will cost us Tetevano and Mansour.
I am fine with that but Mansour should have been handled better.Given his long service to the club.

betcats

Referee
That is a bit strong. There was nothing in that Danny Weidler article that offended me or came across as a dummy spit.
People keep over exaggeratimg his response. He didn't do a Aloaia or Matterson "Trumpertantrum"

No one likes hearing they have gotten the sack or a tap on the shoulder.

End of the day this all about money. If Mansour wasn't on $500k a year but on $250k we wouldn't be having this conversation. They probably would have left him alone.

Reading between the lines it is clear that the club is desperately in a jam for money to retain the young players.
To upgrade their deals this year (as Blade has hinted ) as well as extending will cost us Tetevano and Mansour.
I am fine with that but Mansour should have been handled better.Given his long service to the club.

I disagree, running to Danny f**king Weasel itself stinks of a dummy spit. Mentioning Charlie as the guy who is taking his spot was classless, he knew that would put pressure on Charlie.

You said it, he got paid 500k last year, he will get that again this year. What is he f**king whinging about? Like if he really is on 500k he hasnt been worth that for years. Maybe in 2020 he was almost worth that but certainly not the years before.

Im glad we didnt tell him earlier given the way he has reacted he probably would of blown our season up. Like i said plenty of players would of had the same conversation he had, how many of them ran to danny weasel? Talk about the club being selfish, does that mean they are making decisions that is best for the club? Because that is what they are supposed to do.

Last edited:

Blade23

Juniors
Blade you've said in the past the cap gets really tight post 2021 and you're worried. Do you know if we've released enough or not re-signed enough players that the situation doesn't look as grim?

We will still lose players. The odd mid ranger or the next thing coming through the grades other clubs are throwing big money at.
We have enough to keep Yeo, Crichton and Luai. Capewell too but keeping him will cost us someone later on.

Moving forward with the players we have on top end contracts it will be tight. We will just have to be smarter and look for the value buys to compliment our roster. Like Melbourne do. Diamonds in the rough.

Once RCG and Blake are off the books (end of 2022) I expect most of that will be swallowed up with increases to Fish, Kikau and probably Api. And a few rookies that should come of age by then. Like a Lindsay Smith or Turuva.

betcats

Referee
We will still lose players. The odd mid ranger or the next thing coming through the grades other clubs are throwing big money at.
We have enough to keep Yeo, Crichton and Luai. Capewell too but keeping him will cost us someone later on.

Moving forward with the players we have on top end contracts it will be tight. We will just have to be smarter and look for the value buys to compliment our roster. Like Melbourne do. Diamonds in the rough.

Once RCG and Blake are off the books (end of 2022) I expect most of that will be swallowed up with increases to Fish, Kikau and probably Api. And a few rookies that should come of age by then. Like a Lindsay Smith or Turuva.

Any idea when the rest of the development players will be sorted?

Latest posts