What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don’t know why but Ive developed a weird confidence about 2021 for some reason. The team seems settled, first time with no Benji and Robbie (in no way bagging them, just saying they were big personalities). Our backline has strike, the forward pack is potentially the scariest in the comp.

Blore, Stefano, Simpkins, Simpkin,Talau, even Luciano and Liddle, these young kids have grown up winning and being the best in their age group, they don’t have the scars or mediocrity acceptance of past sides. Tamou, Jet, BJ, Douiehi, Momo and Joffa have played Origin, GFs and/or Prelims.

There’s no hype, no expectation and been very little media coverage compared to other years. I have a feeling we will surprise

super_coach

First Grade
I don’t know why but Ive developed a weird confidence about 2021 for some reason. The team seems settled, first time with no Benji and Robbie (in no way bagging them, just saying they were big personalities). Our backline has strike, the forward pack is potentially the scariest in the comp.

Blore, Stefano, Simpkins, Simpkin,Talau, even Luciano and Liddle, these young kids have grown up winning and being the best in their age group, they don’t have the scars or mediocrity acceptance of past sides. Tamou, Jet, BJ, Douiehi, Momo and Joffa have played Origin, GFs and/or Prelims.

There’s no hype, no expectation and been very little media coverage compared to other years. I have a feeling we will surprise

Vic I hope your right, but they have promised the world and delivered bugger all to many times for me to share your confidence.

I think they will be a better side than this year but my gut feeling tells me there will be eight teams that will do better, but I could be wrong

BrotherJim05

Bench

I really love your confidence but we honestly say something similar to this every year.

All I want out of 2021 season is for the core nucleus of a top 8 team to form and Hartigan to go out and sign the remaining missing links for 2022.

No reason we can do this and make the 8 but I'm just very skeptical. Would love nothing more than to be proven wrong

No offense, but how do you expect this team to finish in the top 8 with this spine? No Top class FB or Halves or Hooker. I think the Hooker is the least of our problems. If we aren’t in the bottom 4 then we’ve done well.

Tiger05

First Grade
No offense, but how do you expect this team to finish in the top 8 with this spine? No Top class FB or Halves or Hooker. I think the Hooker is the least of our problems. If we aren’t in the bottom 4 then we’ve done well.

I expect us to outperform but this is a realistic assessment of where we are at.

magpie_man

Juniors

I'm relatively confident for '21, we have reasonable depth across the forwards and backs with, finally, some punch up front and speed out back.
The glaring weakness is the spine. It still appears to be unsettled and untested and, with zero depth, we're one injury away from catastrophe.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Gebbie was turned away because he was taking too long to get here. Hopefully balaboy Fitzgibbon can nab a spot, fullback is our glaring weakness

WA Tiger

Bench
I think roberts will be a gun, the fact his physique is in tip top shape after battling mental demons tells you a lot about his commitment

he could be the X factor we’ve needed for some time. And if it doesn’t work out we have only got him on a 150k contract I believe
He looks like he could be carrying a dislocated shoulder that hasn’t been operated on ..I hope not

Vic Mackey

Referee
Vic I hope your right, but they have promised the world and delivered bugger all to many times for me to share your confidence.

I think they will be a better side than this year but my gut feeling tells me there will be eight teams that will do better, but I could be wrong

I'm relatively confident for '21, we have reasonable depth across the forwards and backs with, finally, some punch up front and speed out back.
The glaring weakness is the spine. It still appears to be unsettled and untested and, with zero depth, we're one injury away from catastrophe.

Agree with all this. Im aware of the short comings of our squad and am worried it could all fall in a heap like the back end of 2020. We get tipped for the spoon plenty yet Ive never been worried that we might get it. This year if things go pear shaped I know we could be down there in the mix.

It could be the fact that I havent seen us stink it up on the footy field for 4 months now, or pure unrealistic hope, however I dont often feel this way in a pre season. Im generally realistic bordering on pessimistic regarding the teams chances. Since 2013 Ive only tipped us to make the 8 twice (2017 & 2020) both were after encouraging seasons where we fell just short of the 8. Unfortunately both years we went backwards.

The spine is what worries me. To begin with the likely full strength of:

1. Mbye
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks
9. Liddle

Doesn't strike fear into anyone and understandably would be rated a bottom 4 one by a lot of teams supporters. Then after that the depth options are two kids who are largely untested even at nsw/qld cup level and didnt play a game in 2020.

However is it really much worse then the 8th placed Sharks of 1. Kennedy 6. Johnson 7. Townsend 9. Brailey?

Mbye was great at 1 in 2018, he then got a knee injury in the 2019 trials which hampered his whole season. IN his games back at 1 last year he dangerous, rewatch the Manly comeback win and youll see how well he chimed into the attack.

Doueihi and Brooks compliment each other well, we saw their combo with no training in the last round against Parra and they worked well. Brooks has always played his best when he is allowed to run the team and has a 9 who just passes him the ball, he won the Dally M 7 of the year in 18 when McIllwrick and Godinet did just that.

AS good as Harry was he negated Brooks as he liked to have a look at the defence himself before passing (similar to Robbie) he also much preferred playing to the right. Liddle doesnt play like this. As soon as he picks it up he runs or passes, theres no investigating.

The 2-5, pack and bench options are top 8 material IMO. If the pack can give the spine space the outside backs give them plenty of weapons to hit.

Also never underestimate how much a happy and unified squad means. Every player here has been signed or re-signed by Madge (expect Packer and Mbye). I just get the feeling a lot of the young guys like the hard work that the coach expects of them. Like I said these guys have grown up being the guns in their age groups. Blore captained NSW U16 and U18. Stefano and Simpkin were MOTM in 18 & 19 U18 Origin. The kid we just signed from NQ played for the Jnr All Blacks. These guys didnt come here because we were their only option and they came knowing Madges reputation. I just get the feeling we're in for some good times in 2021.

Tigerm

First Grade
Agree with all this. Im aware of the short comings of our squad and am worried it could all fall in a heap like the back end of 2020. We get tipped for the spoon plenty yet Ive never been worried that we might get it. This year if things go pear shaped I know we could be down there in the mix.

It could be the fact that I havent seen us stink it up on the footy field for 4 months now, or pure unrealistic hope, however I dont often feel this way in a pre season. Im generally realistic bordering on pessimistic regarding the teams chances. Since 2013 Ive only tipped us to make the 8 twice (2017 & 2020) both were after encouraging seasons where we fell just short of the 8. Unfortunately both years we went backwards.

The spine is what worries me. To begin with the likely full strength of:

1. Mbye
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks
9. Liddle

Doesn't strike fear into anyone and understandably would be rated a bottom 4 one by a lot of teams supporters. Then after that the depth options are two kids who are largely untested even at nsw/qld cup level and didnt play a game in 2020.

However is it really much worse then the 8th placed Sharks of 1. Kennedy 6. Johnson 7. Townsend 9. Brailey?

Mbye was great at 1 in 2018, he then got a knee injury in the 2019 trials which hampered his whole season. IN his games back at 1 last year he dangerous, rewatch the Manly comeback win and youll see how well he chimed into the attack.

Doueihi and Brooks compliment each other well, we saw their combo with no training in the last round against Parra and they worked well. Brooks has always played his best when he is allowed to run the team and has a 9 who just passes him the ball, he won the Dally M 7 of the year in 18 when McIllwrick and Godinet did just that.

AS good as Harry was he negated Brooks as he liked to have a look at the defence himself before passing (similar to Robbie) he also much preferred playing to the right. Liddle doesnt play like this. As soon as he picks it up he runs or passes, theres no investigating.

The 2-5, pack and bench options are top 8 material IMO. If the pack can give the spine space the outside backs give them plenty of weapons to hit.

Also never underestimate how much a happy and unified squad means. Every player here has been signed or re-signed by Madge (expect Packer and Mbye). I just get the feeling a lot of the young guys like the hard work that the coach expects of them. Like I said these guys have grown up being the guns in their age groups. Blore captained NSW U16 and U18. Stefano and Simpkin were MOTM in 18 & 19 U18 Origin. The kid we just signed from NQ played for the Jnr All Blacks. These guys didnt come here because we were their only option and they came knowing Madges reputation. I just get the feeling we're in for some good times in 2021.
Good post Vic, I agree, I think our forwards will hold the key, but we have a bit of speed in the backs now as well.

I think it is our realistic best chance for a long while to make top 8.

Tiger05

First Grade
Like I said these guys have grown up being the guns in their age groups.

They have to put it together in the top grade though. It's a massive step up. Our side is all potential at this stage. I have low expectations but I think we could surprise on the upside.

Still a work in progress with gaps in critical positions and a few grave question marks per depth.

But I think Hartigan (and to a lesser extent Madge) have focused on cementing the factory base before considering the splurge and it’s a pretty willing start.

That was a very honest interview with Roberts and he spoke up his experience so far and said that Madge had been really good to him and the boys. That Madge was different from 8 years ago etc. I presume he means he’s a little less manic.

This is an interesting impression given that Stefano said they were working hard for that time of year.

Madge and Hartigan have chucked two thirds of the squad overboard.

Comparisons with previous years fall away.

It’s somewhat experimental, take a little while at the front end of the year to get the engine humming.

The take away is that this side, whatever they do this year, the platform is laid and if our coach and officials are performing, they shoul only improve.

I’d say we are at 75% of the squad we need. Getting there anyway. I think we could make 6th if Madge gets to them to optimum.

Last edited:
I think roberts will be a gun, the fact his physique is in tip top shape after battling mental demons tells you a lot about his commitment

he could be the X factor we’ve needed for some time. And if it doesn’t work out we have only got him on a 150k contract I believe

Years ago, Madge punted him from Souths when he lied to Madge about having a big night out with the boys.

He had the opportunity to come clean but he didn’t take it.

Then as we know, he’s had some tough alcohol related personal issues plus mental health problems.

His dad was in and out of gaol and the young James spent a lot of his teenage years living rough. That means in his car and at friends places. Lots of bad influence, he saw a lot of violence, spite and hate. The poor kid lived it.

But despite all this, he had this almost unnatural gift for rugby league. Unbelievable.

Fast forward almost a decade later, Souths releases him and Madge gives him a ring. They stayed in touch but this time, after all these years, Madge is not asking him to leave a club but wants him to join him at one. So it’s like a full circle for him. A bit of forgiveness but backed up by deeds, not just words. The kindness isn’t lost on James and hopefully our investment in him, invigorates and lifts him. That interview before, it shocked me for its honesty!

I go back to that game where he runs through and around six roosters. 1 v 6. This is something almost no other player can do. He’s a freak.

If he doesn’t make it, if something goes wrong and he falters, so long as he’s honest, I think Madge will be there for him. Count me in too.

Last edited: