What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

martielang

Bench
Who did we have to sign for 2021?

Crichton, Staines etc were all signed. So became who was better for the mid to long term.

Do you think it would be easier to get a deal elsewhere off the back of last year? Or while sitting in NSW Cup in 6 months time?

So when a player is enquiring about his future you lie? Or shouldn't you let him know sooner to sort out his future?

But they were signed knowing we had other players under contract & would be over the cap. We weren't forced to sign those players.

You're talking as if the club did it for the player... the club did it for the club because they over capitalized on other players & need to rid players asap to be cap compliant.

Anyway for the 28th time in this thread I'm going try to move on. Just sometimes the heart won't let you...

betcats

Referee
But they were signed knowing we had other players under contract & would be over the cap. We weren't forced to sign those players.

You're talking as if the club did it for the player... the club did it for the club because they over capitalized on other players & need to rid players asap to be cap compliant.

Anyway for the 28th time in this thread I'm going try to move on. Just sometimes the heart won't let you...

Where has that been said? The NRL would not of registered the contracts for 2021 if they were going to put us over the cap.

franklin2323

Immortal

Should Mansour go early. We would have have very little left to play with.

No doubt ends up being 50% of the freight. throw in the long serving player allowance and you wouldn't have much more than what it would cost to replace him.

Signing 4 minimum Contract players isn't going to put us over the cap should we keep him. Of course it was the club wants to pick it's best side for 2022 which doesn't include Mansour

franklin2323

Immortal
Where has that been said? The NRL would not of registered the contracts for 2021 if they were going to put us over the cap.

You never get a player off 100%. He has been paid 2 months wages for starters. So he needs to be replaced it is dumb to thing what has come in has put us over for the minor signings made

betcats

Referee
You never get a player off 100%. He has been paid 2 months wages for starters. So he needs to be replaced it is dumb to thing what has come in has put us over for the minor signings made

I can understand us wanting to free up his money to upgrade some guys for 2021 but I just havent heard that we were on track to be over the cap for 2021. Obviously I could of missed something but I feel like it is just an attempt to portray the club in the worst possible light by saying we mismanaged our cap so we just forced Sauce out to fix it.

WestyLife

First Grade
I can understand us wanting to free up his money to upgrade some guys for 2021 but I just havent heard that we were on track to be over the cap for 2021. Obviously I could of missed something but I feel like it is just an attempt to portray the club in the worst possible light by saying we mismanaged our cap so we just forced Sauce out to fix it.
We've been told repeatedly 2022 is the bigger concern. It's definitely an emotional response to make the situation look worse.

martielang

Bench
We've been told repeatedly 2022 is the bigger concern. It's definitely an emotional response to make the situation look worse.

His contract ended this year though, not 2022? I don't get your point. If we're trying to offload him to give some players extra cash this year to cover the next, it's the exact same as what I'm saying.

@betcats how haven't we mismanaged the cap though if we're actively trying to offload a high profile player mid contract?

betcats

Referee

Yep, what would of happened if Sauce had of dug his heels in and decided to stay and fight for a spot?

betcats

Referee
His contract ended this year though, not 2022? I don't get your point. If we're trying to offload him to give some players extra cash this year to cover the next, it's the exact same as what I'm saying.

@betcats how you can you say we haven't mismanaged the cap though if we're actively trying to offload a player mid contract?

So every club that offloads a player mid contract has mis managed the cap? come one mate that is silly. We are tyring to upgrade contracts for 2021 because we had a number of young players have exceptional years during a contract year. Yeo, Luai and Critta and got picked for the blues and are negotiating currently for example. That is not mismanagement at all imo.

Besides that, Its mansours choice to leave, it was reported we would of let him stay and play reserve grade.

WestyLife

First Grade

@betcats how haven't we mismanaged the cap though if we're actively trying to offload a high profile player mid contract?
Mansour had a contract for 2021 which was said would be honored if he wanted that option.

mxlegend99

Referee

I dont think our cap was in bad shape... but i think it's likely to end up that way. Between paying so many players not to play for us and getting in to bidding wars to keep guys here it feels like we could be headed toward our pre-Gus days.

The next crop of juniors have all seem to have been treated the same way Jennings, Grant, Coote, McKendry etc. were in being kept at any cost. Letting so many guys hit the market rather than extending earlier has increased everyone's opinion of their value. Even players that don't want to leave are holding us to ransom.

Not many players seem to care about being able to keep this roster together which really sux. We still have a couple guys like that thankfully. Those guys are more crucial to a premiership than the blokes wanting to become multi-millionaires at 20 years of age.

betcats

Referee
Mansour had a contract for 2021 which was said would be honored if he wanted that option.

Yeah its one thing to tell him he will be in reserve grade and we wont stand in his way if he wants leave. Its anther thing to tell him that he has to leave, I dont think they would've gone that far if he said he was happy to stay and play where he can. We probably wouldve ended up losing someone like Leniu if that happened but still i think they wouldn't of forced it.

betcats

Referee
I dont think our cap was in bad shape... but i think it's likely to end up that way. Between paying so many players not to play for us and getting in to bidding wars to keep guys here it feels like we could be headed toward our pre-Gus days.

The next crop of juniors have all seem to have been treated the same way Jennings, Grant, Coote, McKendry etc. were in being kept at any cost. Letting so many guys hit the market rather than extending earlier has increased everyone's opinion of their value. Even players that don't want to leave are holding us to ransom.

Not many players seem to care about being able to keep this roster together which really sux. We still have a couple guys like that thankfully. Those guys are more crucial to a premiership than the blokes wanting to become multi-millionaires at 20 years of age.

How exactly do we keep them from testing the market if that is what they want to do? The idea that we can force a young guy to extend early because its in our best interest is ridiculous, Ive got no doubt we tried to extend them all early.

Also Leniu just accepted a smaller offer as did Staines. The only guys that have left are the ones that have little to no chance at playing first grade in their best positions other than getting some back up minutes. I think more guys who have been able to talk to clubs this offseason have been interested in staying rather then leaving. Burton knocked back the dogs initially before they upped their offer. Critta has made a lot of noise in the media but what clubs has he actually visited? Yeo and Luai, who have they spoken to? From what I can see most if not all besides Sauce want to stay. Laurie is on a development contract here and he has the tigers wanting to start him in their NRL team, in the spine so we were always going to struggle to keep him. He is still happily showing up to training though, he isnt in a rush to leave.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
How exactly do we keep them from testing the market if that is what they want to do? The idea that we can force a young guy to extend early because its in our best interest is ridiculous, Ive got no doubt we tried to extend them all early.

Also Leniu just accepted a smaller offer as did Staines. The only guys that have left are the ones that have little to no chance at playing first grade in their best positions other than getting some back up minutes. I think more guys who have been able to talk to clubs this offseason have been interested in staying rather then leaving. Burton knocked back the dogs initially before they upped their offer. Critta has made a lot of noise in the media but what clubs has he actually visited? Yeo and Luai, who have they spoken to? From what I can see most if not all besides Sauce want to stay. Laurie is on a development contract here and he has the tigers wanting to start him in their NRL team, in the spine so we were always going to struggle to keep him. He is still happily showing up to training though, he isnt in a rush to leave.

Not only that. Guys we are locking in are in key positions

Abacus

Juniors
Yep pretty much it.

Here is it too. Mansour wants 2 more seasons after this. Even if Staines went I still doubt he gets the extra 2 years
Probably not, but we likely would have given him a deal for 2022 and he'd be first-choice wing for 2021 (at least).

Thanks to @Blade23 for the background re Staines signing. The club announced his re-signing on 7 October & no doubt hoped a GF win would see Josh retire. It wasn't to be and ot sounds like the cash isn't there for Josh for 2022. In which case let him know by 1 November so he can chase offers ASAP.

The mistake on the club's part was telling Josh he wasn't first-choice in 2021. This is the disrespectful part. You never know what happens in preseason - even if he is back-up, 1 injury and he is playing FG in round 1.

Latest posts