What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Timbo

Staff member
I mean, seriously.

The Burn, the incident which by any metric is the single greatest disaster in the history of the galaxy, that brought down societies and governments that had lasted millennia, that killed billions, that destroyed thousands of ships and planets, that plunged societies back into the Stone Age, that reversed thousands of years of scientific progress was caused by a kid screaming? Because his mother died?

And because he was born on on a planet of pure dilithium, his screams somehow destabilise dilithium across the entire galaxy?

How f**king strong is the coke they’re all on in that writers room? People actually got paid to write this. Then other people were paid to edit it. Then others to give feedback, input and suggest edits. Then after it was edited, it went to the producers, then the actors and directors. And at each step of the way someone went ‘yep, checks out’.

I felt like I was taking insane pills. What the actual shit was that?

Eelectrica

Referee
The burn explanation feels like the Mass Effect 3 ending all over again.
Writers come up with a cool idea initially, can't really come up with an ending at the time, but run with it anyway hoping they'll figure it out later.... but fail.

Somehow its still got two more seasons.

bileduct

Coach
Ugh, you know what sucks more than this show? The people who actually like this show!

Apparently there was a "strong friendship" between two of the bridge characters hardly anyone knows the names of.

This is like the Star Trek version of Reylo's... People who are more interested in seeing characters finger bang each other in various holes than actually see the ship they are on go somewhere and do something interesting.

I mean, did anyone truly give a f**k who Riker was banging?

Eelectrica

Referee
If Owo and Detmer left the show I wouldn't notice because I barely know who they are.

They fired the doc in TNG after the first season and had to bring her back in season 3 because no liked Paluski.

No.one would notice or care if the Discovery got a new Doc or navigator or whatever Owo does.

jargan83

Coach
Discovery is the "Michael Burnham Happy Fun Show" based in the Star Trek Universe.

I'm hard pressed to name any of the other Bridge officers.

Harry Kim might have been an Ensign for 7 years but at least you knew who he was.

Actually, I watched Caretaker Part 2 (Divided up in a 2 part for TV) last night and it was much better than most Modern Trek we've seen.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Ugh, you know what sucks more than this show? The people who actually like this show!

Apparently there was a "strong friendship" between two of the bridge characters hardly anyone knows the names of.

This is like the Star Trek version of Reylo's... People who are more interested in seeing characters finger bang each other in various holes than actually see the ship they are on go somewhere and do something interesting.

I mean, did anyone truly give a f**k who Riker was banging?
Or me...

Timbo

Staff member
I didn’t even realise Owo was short for Owosekun.

Does she, Bryce or Rhys have a first name? Because they keep doing stuff with these characters like I’m supposed to care about them, but I don’t have the faintest idea who they are.

Also, I remembered Rhys but I had to look up Bryce’s name.

bileduct

Coach
I didn’t even realise Owo was short for Owosekun.

Does she, Bryce or Rhys have a first name? Because they keep doing stuff with these characters like I’m supposed to care about them, but I don’t have the faintest idea who they are.

Also, I remembered Rhys but I had to look up Bryce’s name.
According to this (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Joann_Owosekun) Owo's first name is Joann.

I sure as f**k don't ever remember her being called Joann on the show.

Bryce's first name is Ronald (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ronald_A._Bryce) and Rhys' first name is Gen (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gen_Rhys). But you wouldn't know this unless you looked it up.

Then again, I just checked an episode and their first names are buried in the credits after all the guest actors, producers and some other bullshit.

Still, pretty f**ked that three season in and if you know the names of any of these regular characters at all it's just their surname.

bileduct

Coach
Holy f**k, Babylon 5 is a cursed show.

Mira Furlan died just over a week ago at age 65. Without looking at the exact numbers I'd say around 75% of the main cast are now dead. Compared to DS9 where only René Auberjonois and Aron Eisenberg have left us, that's really quite astonishing.

Speaking of Babylon 5, it just got a 1080p remaster. From what I've seen so far it looks alright. The CGI is obviously just upscaled from the original source material and not re-rendered, there's still a fair bit of grain in a lot of the episodes, but it's probably enough to get me to watch the whole series again from beginning to end.

Eelectrica

Referee
Yeah, read that Mira passed a few days ago. Another passed far too young.

Loved B5. It's unbelievable the cast members lost. I'll check out the remaster for sure.

bileduct

Coach
Babylon 5 desperately needed a remaster. The DVDs were shockingly bad with a terrible zoom and crop attempt to give a widescreen presentation. This new remaster returns the show to its original 4:3 format. f**king incredible that for some 25+ years the best version of Babylon 5 was the original VHS tapes.

Timbo

Staff member
I tried to watch B5 again a year or two ago, that was a hard watch. The show itself was amazing, but the set design and effects are very much of their time.

jargan83

Coach
I never got into Babylon 5 - mostly because it got shifted in timeslots and my family moved to Port Hedland in 1996 for 2 years and when we came back to I'd missed a season or two.

Have always wanted to give it a crack, unsure if it's on a streaming service.

bileduct

Coach
I never got into Babylon 5 - mostly because it got shifted in timeslots and my family moved to Port Hedland in 1996 for 2 years and when we came back to I'd missed a season or two.

Have always wanted to give it a crack, unsure if it's on a streaming service.
From what I saw it's only available on streaming services like iTunes and Amazon that require you to buy either individual seasons or the entire series.

That said, I am a bit disappointed with these remasters. They're not remastered from film at all, they're just upscaled from original broadcast tapes. You can tell because at times they left the little commercial break jingle in where the ads would go. And for some reason entire scenes have been cut out. The episode Babylon Squared, for instance, they cut out two entire scenes from the end of the episode which totalled about 2:40 of the episode. There are other episodes with similar cuts too.

I don't understand why they keep f**king up each new release of the series. The show deserves much better than this.

I won't go as far as saying they are the worst remasters ever though... That honour goes to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Timbo

Staff member
I never watched it. Timbo could probably help you out there.

Jeez, the last time I watched the animated series was when it was on Channel 7 at 6am on Saturdays in the 90s.

I think for what it was it was pretty decent. They managed to get all the actors back to do voicing (except Walter Koenig). All the backup voices were done by James Doohan though so basically every non main character sounds a bit like Scotty.