What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nofoaluma is a great FB option

Mario chalmers

Juniors
This is not being spoken about anywhere near enough IMO.

Yesterday I was watching a replay of the final rd game from the point Benji went off.

At that point we saw

FB Nofoaluma
WG Talau & Kepoa
CR Chee Kam & Lawrence
5/8 Doueihi
1/2 Brooks

Nofa is our best attacking player. He breaks tackles every game. In the 60 odd minutes he played at FB he supported ball players and pushed up behind the ruck at all times. He was a constant threat. I have no idea whether he'd trained in the position previously but he seemed comfortable enough for it be given further thought? I wonder if we'd have won the game would the narrative be different?

Posters generally seem to favour Mbye at FB in '21 but I would love to know how many dropped bombs he's had in that position over the past 2 seasons. I think it would be 10+ and that includes high balls that he inexplicably has let bounce. We lost so many games last season to handling errors in the back 3 so surely we need to get it right in 2021.

Some other observations from the game which should carry over to next year
- in the final 10 mins we had a middle 3 of Twal, Mikaele and Eiso. All very slow lateral movers. Mikaele was carrying a knee and couldnt get back the 10. Parra dominated through the middle through this period scoring two tries
- Vossy in commentary slams the Tigers for conceeding at least 26 points in 10 straight games. It's a really poor statistic but I don't think it is easily rectified because the core of the side who were out there v Parra will go around again in '21. The exceptions to this are ET, Harry Grant & Eiso. We're going to have to find points from somewhere because there is no easy solution to bad D through replacements. Others will say its attitude I know?
- Garner has to play outside Brooks. Garner moves to the left for the final 5 mins and makes a break which should have led to a try that won the game. Garner has made so many line breaks outside Brooks its like their combination is telepathic and I would argue that they should be together every week. I can accept the view that Luciano plays very well and is also a left side player however I would entertain moving him. LL will steamroll a half back defending on an edge or get an offload but he is not a line runner. Big edge players like this were popular before the 6 again rule came in but these days sides will get more value out of a hard line runner IMO. Whether that leaves LL in a lock rotation or 2RW rotation on the bench I am not sure.
- Talau and Blore are the future on the right edge. There is one set in the dying minutes where they take back to back 15m carries;
- Doueihi will only get better at 5/8. He passes brilliantly. Look forward to seeing how he goes next year.

If you have time watch the last 60 mins of the final round and you will see what I am saying with Nofa.

Pezz70

Juniors
This is not being spoken about anywhere near enough IMO.

Yesterday I was watching a replay of the final rd game from the point Benji went off.

At that point we saw

FB Nofoaluma
WG Talau & Kepoa
CR Chee Kam & Lawrence
5/8 Doueihi
1/2 Brooks

Nofa is our best attacking player. He breaks tackles every game. In the 60 odd minutes he played at FB he supported ball players and pushed up behind the ruck at all times. He was a constant threat. I have no idea whether he'd trained in the position previously but he seemed comfortable enough for it be given further thought? I wonder if we'd have won the game would the narrative be different?

Posters generally seem to favour Mbye at FB in '21 but I would love to know how many dropped bombs he's had in that position over the past 2 seasons. I think it would be 10+ and that includes high balls that he inexplicably has let bounce. We lost so many games last season to handling errors in the back 3 so surely we need to get it right in 2021.

Some other observations from the game which should carry over to next year
- in the final 10 mins we had a middle 3 of Twal, Mikaele and Eiso. All very slow lateral movers. Mikaele was carrying a knee and couldnt get back the 10. Parra dominated through the middle through this period scoring two tries
- Vossy in commentary slams the Tigers for conceeding at least 26 points in 10 straight games. It's a really poor statistic but I don't think it is easily rectified because the core of the side who were out there v Parra will go around again in '21. The exceptions to this are ET, Harry Grant & Eiso. We're going to have to find points from somewhere because there is no easy solution to bad D through replacements. Others will say its attitude I know?
- Garner has to play outside Brooks. Garner moves to the left for the final 5 mins and makes a break which should have led to a try that won the game. Garner has made so many line breaks outside Brooks its like their combination is telepathic and I would argue that they should be together every week. I can accept the view that Luciano plays very well and is also a left side player however I would entertain moving him. LL will steamroll a half back defending on an edge or get an offload but he is not a line runner. Big edge players like this were popular before the 6 again rule came in but these days sides will get more value out of a hard line runner IMO. Whether that leaves LL in a lock rotation or 2RW rotation on the bench I am not sure.
- Talau and Blore are the future on the right edge. There is one set in the dying minutes where they take back to back 15m carries;
- Doueihi will only get better at 5/8. He passes brilliantly. Look forward to seeing how he goes next year.

If you have time watch the last 60 mins of the final round and you will see what I am saying with Nofa.

Nofo is a winger through and through, no fullback in him, he is a suspect defender, stills runs a bit too laterally and is not great under the high ball. And he is a great on the end of the back line, can score a try! That said if we’re in a bind you’d give him a run.

Tigerm

First Grade
Nofo is a winger through and through, no fullback in him, he is a suspect defender, stills runs a bit too laterally and is not great under the high ball. And he is a great on the end of the back line, can score a try! That said if we’re in a bind you’d give him a run.
Agree, his major flaw, imo, is his inability to read the opposition attacks.

Tiger05

First Grade
I just watched the game again. You make a good point and it's something I've never really thought of because like the guys above I view him as a winger. I don't think he was that good in that game and his impact was a little blunted when he played at fullback. At the same time he didn't do anything wrong and he hits it up hard. I'd have no problems giving him first shot at fullback but mainly because I can see Talau missing out this season when he shouldn't.

You could go with something like this:-

1. David Nofoaluma
2. Tommy Talau
3. BJ Leilua
4. James Roberts
5. Asu Kepaoa

6. Adam Doueihi
7. Luke Brooks

8. Zane Musgrove
9. Jacob Liddle
10. James Tamou
11. Luciano Leilua
12. Luke Garner
13. Joe Ofahengaue

14. Moses Mbye
15. Alex Twal
16. Stefano Utoikamanu
17. Sean Blore

Mbye is getting close to being a wasted player for us. He offers a lot in that he can cover every spine position and even centre and wing. The problem is he is probably are marquee player now and he is lucky to make our top team.

Doueihi and Brooks can be really good halves. Brooks when he is on is a good player. Brooks problem is stupid mistakes. He did a kick in that game on the first tackle that was just dumb. Doueihi will have to learn to defend and not go for the big play too often but he can play. He missed a crucial tackle in that game though. He can tackle though. It's just going to take some work.

I didn't rate Talau and he has mistakes in his game but he has an upside. Kepaoa to me should be a lock on that left wing spot. Maybe he could also play fullback. He is big and fast. He makes some mistakes but it's a tough position. Talau's defense was also poor and he didn't improve Nofo's defensive side at all.

We have one really high quality forward and that is LL. He is a special player. I think you can play LL on either side and I also think Garner running off Brooks on the left appears to work pretty well. I remember watching Garner in reserves on the right though and he was pretty good.

I'm not sure where to play Blore but at the moment I think rotating with JO at lock is the best option. I hope the middle forwards do the job. I think they can.

We have heaps of areas where players may be all over the place but if we gel and some players come on or we click I think we are looking like a team that may win a few games.

stryker

First Grade
Noffa was a fullback coming through the grades wasn’t he? I’ve suggested he play at the back a number of times over the years.
Having said that, he has never mastered counting numbers in defence and the fullback controls the defence so it’s a risk.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Nofo is a modern day winger through and through. Putting him at fullback we will greatly miss the way he starts off our sets coming off our 20, and his ability to finish off a try.

Fordy20

Juniors
There's no quote from Souths, so anyone could make up this story.

It makes sense though, they missed out on Addo-Carr, so go for next best winger in the game. They'll have all that Gagai money to throw at him too.

Wizardman

First Grade
A bit of a tricky one with Nofo. Pay the man what he is worth but don't go too silly with retaining him. The guy still has some weaknesses to go with his obvious strengths. His defence (better than previous years) can still be ordinary, not great in bomb situations and (not often talked about) can go missing against bigtime opposition.
He is not a mercenary and genuinely loves the tigers. I'd love him to stay but not at the expense of building this club for greater things down the line.
As for playing him at fullback, no f**king way for a variety of reasons. He is a winger or not in first grade.

He’s a great player and deserves quality wad.

On all accounts he’s pretty happy with our emerging side and being a big fish in a smaller sea!

I hope he accepts something sensible and enjoys the ride.

Souths have a few expensive players scheduled for a 2022 exit.

Any club worth its salt would be making a welfare check on him.

I think Nofo will play fullback this year but:

Only if the starting fullback (Mybe) is injured in a game and the back-line shuffle means moving a centre to wing so he can move to fullback.

That fullback ^ (Mybe) has to miss a game or 2 and Kepaoa or Momo are called up but:

Because Mybe will be there for his goal kicking as well, the replacement might be Momo 1st but:

That might be based on not only his goal kicking % in reserves and how he's playing but how AD is kicking at training and performing at 5/8.

And why do I think Mybe will be the starting fullback? club captain, leader, experience and until he was injured at the start of last year (or was it the year before that now?) he was doing pretty well there, I think Madge will show some loyalty there.

axl rose

Bench
A bit of a tricky one with Nofo. Pay the man what he is worth but don't go too silly with retaining him. The guy still has some weaknesses to go with his obvious strengths.

Freddy is a merkin of the highest order but there is generally a fair reason he hasn't played for NSW by the age 27. As you said, no need to pay overs. If he does leave the media will paint Tigers as the bad guys as always.

Freddy is a merkin of the highest order but there is generally a fair reason he hasn't played for NSW by the age 27. As you said, no need to pay overs. If he does leave the media will paint Tigers as the bad guys as always.

I’ve hated Queensland for most of my life, but all that changed this year.

Freddy got drunk on the success of his legacy players over and above youth and promise.

He just pushed the envelope a bit too far and didn’t count on the likes of my man Munster and a good game from Corey Allen.

I’m happy to pay a bit over for Nofo for team harmony. Not sell the farm, but he’s good for the club.

Most handsome player in the game brings in young potential suitors through the gates to swoon for the full 80 while they pray for extra time.

“ Don’t mess up his hair” is a common call at games from the members stand.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
I’ve hated Queensland for most of my life, but all that changed this year.

Freddy got drunk on the success of his legacy players over and above youth and promise.

He just pushed the envelope a bit too far and didn’t count on the likes of my man Munster and a good game from Corey Allen.

I’m happy to pay a bit over for Nofo for team harmony. Not sell the farm, but he’s good for the club.

Most handsome player in the game brings in young potential suitors through the gates to swoon for the full 80 while they pray for extra time.

“ Don’t mess up his hair” is a common call at games from the members stand.
I was going to point out the incorrect statements in your essay but then I did something else...

I was going to point out the incorrect statements in your essay but then I did something else...

.....Because you realised the propositions you were about to make were sheer nonsense.

What the f**k happened to out new year resolution @stryker ?

You were committed to being kinder and nicer. Everyone was looking forward to it. I was.

The cheery, kind, tolerant, interesting, measured, intellectual, smart and fun to be with Stryker?

Two weeks cold turkey from your grinch addiction was obviously too much!

I said I’d be happy to post a new thread and all brothers and sisters with the chronic Tiger grinch problems can whinge on to your hearts content.

“ no new players” lol
“ paying overs” lol
“ no ones on board” lol
“ we will get the spoon” lol

The days when the wt grinch can come out in public and put the club down all the time and bore everyone stupid are coming to an rapid end.

People are just going to have to get used to us being successful. Slowly but surely. It’s sounds horrific to some, but that’s life.

We will all still have a laugh at the club and players, still criticise, but maybe with more underlying respect
Thank you for your baiting stykester buddy. Always a good time.

Last edited: